INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Side Does MJ Support?  (Read 735 times)

bcbc

• Recent member
  • jazz/blues/boats
Which Side Does MJ Support?
« on: July 15, 2002, 07:57:02 am »

I stumbled upon the following copy on the musicex.com website:  

“MUSIC EXCHANGE is the only Digital Rights Management technology designed to serve the recording, video, software, and publication industries as an open standard for secure sales, distribution and licensing of digital files…

The Jukebox is the consumer component that enables secure sales and licensing of music and other media files.”

Nice business model. However as a consumer my interest is having access to the widest variety of published music at the least possible cost with the fewest possible restrictions on what I can do with music I have purchased. I want to be free to trade, barter or exchange copies of music I have acquired without restriction.

If Music Exchange and its related enterprises are dedicated to "secure sales and licensing" for the recording and publication industries, then their interests are in line with the RIAA and the publishing cartel and are contrary to mine as a consumer seeking an open and unrestricted market for music and other intellectual or artistic properties.

I would be interested to hear JRiver's response to this observation.
bc

Agonostis

RE:Which Side Does MJ Support?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2002, 09:52:42 am »

I want to be free to trade, barter or exchange copies of music I have acquired without restriction.

And I want a pony.

You are not free to trade, barter, or exchange copies of music you have acquired.  JRiver is unlikely to go out of its way to give you the ability to violate United States law.

If Music Exchange and its related enterprises are dedicated to "secure sales and licensing" for the recording and publication industries, then their interests are in line with the RIAA and the publishing cartel and are contrary to mine as a consumer seeking an open and unrestricted market for music and other intellectual or artistic properties.

Do you see everything so black and white?  I'm not going to bother trying to convince you that my opinions are better that yours, because you seem to cling dearly to yours--and who am I to shatter that?  But in my life I've found satisfactory outcomes much more often by seeing and understanding the other side of arguments than by refusing to grant them any ground whatsoever.

I value my rights as a consumer as much as the next man, but I am of the opinion that "secure sales and licensing" and "open market for music" are not necessarily mutually exclusive.  Content creators have rights too.  We're of course nowhere close to a working model, but I believe one can, and will, exist.

-----
Robert

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Which Side Does MJ Support?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2002, 10:16:53 am »

Robert

> But in my life I've found satisfactory outcomes much more often by seeing and understanding the other side of arguments than by refusing to grant them any ground whatsoever.

Well said.

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up