INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod does not read/use MC Replay Gain values?  (Read 3840 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
iPod does not read/use MC Replay Gain values?
« on: May 31, 2009, 08:38:46 am »

Before I may the complete switch from iTunes to MC13 for synce to my 5th gen 5.5 iPod - I currently convert FLAC lossless to MP3 for use on the iPod and use iTunes to perform the sync.

All tracks in FLAC master library have been corrected analyzed and tagged with the appropriate replay gain data but when any "converted" MP3s are played on the iPod - the replay gain data seems to be ignored. I checked the MP3's with MC and I can see the Replay Gain data is corrected written.

Conversely - if I take the same files and hit them with MP3 Gain - the Replay gain is picked up by iTunes.

Any ideas?

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
Re: iPod does not read/use MC Replay Gain values?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 09:34:45 am »

I'll have to double check, but I believe Soundcheck/Replay Gain is working on my 5G. Also, I'm reasonably certain that Replay Gain and MP3 gain work differently, with MP3 Gain actually manipulating the file's volume bits, albeit in a reversible manner. Net result is that for a given group of files processed by MP3 Gain the volume will be the same whether you have Sound Check enabled or not...

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 04:56:33 pm »

I'll have to double check, but I believe Soundcheck/Replay Gain is working on my 5G. Also, I'm reasonably certain that Replay Gain and MP3 gain work differently, with MP3 Gain actually manipulating the file's volume bits, albeit in a reversible manner. Net result is that for a given group of files processed by MP3 Gain the volume will be the same whether you have Sound Check enabled or not...

So - is the thinking that I must have Soundcheck enabled on at least the iPod for the MC Replay Gain values to be recognized? I am fine with turning it on on the hardware - but not with iTunes - since I would never use it to listen to music anyway.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 05:36:06 pm »

iPods do not read file tags at all. All metadata is stored in its database file and the application that syncs includes the Sound Check values.

If iTunes is used for syncing the Sound Check setting must be enabled in iTunes.

If MC is used for syncing it includes the Sound Check values automatically if the replay gain values are present in MC's library.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 10:57:58 pm »

So - is the thinking that I must have Soundcheck enabled on at least the iPod for the MC Replay Gain values to be recognized?

Yes

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 07:14:47 am »

iPods do not read file tags at all. All metadata is stored in its database file and the application that syncs includes the Sound Check values.

If iTunes is used for syncing the Sound Check setting must be enabled in iTunes.

If MC is used for syncing it includes the Sound Check values automatically if the replay gain values are present in MC's library.

Gotcha - so until I start syncing with MC exclusively and get iTunes right out of the picture - any tracks will continue to playback with no change. And when I start syncing with MC exclusively - Soundcheck must be turned on via the iPod hardware to pick up the Replay Gain value...correct?
Pages: [1]   Go Up