INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Netbook as a Remote aka Tremote  (Read 90999 times)

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Netbook as a Remote aka Tremote
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2009, 05:52:14 pm »

Jim,

I have two primary uses in mind for this.

1) on a touchscreen of some sort in the theater to control what's playing movie-wise.
Currently will be using a laptop until I decide on a touch panel I can live with in my price range.

2) more often though, I'd use it for audio.  I currently have 6 zones in MC.  I'd want to be able to launch the remote piece and be able to select any one of the available zones to send the audio to.  Zone selection is easily done from the main server now, or via rivermote on the itouch.  I can't use the new feature until zone selection is added.  It currently plays on the main desktop speaker output on the main server pc.  If I was listening on those speakers, I'd just fire up MC on the main machine and wouldn't be using the remote copy.  I need to be able to select the garage or swimming pool zones, which is where I use the rivermote product currently to switch to the zone and kick off a playlist.  Rivermote works well for this, but I could envision using a laptop on the pool patio instead, simply to be able to show a larger playing now screen that we could read from the pool to see what's playing.  I'd probably roll this out in two more bedrooms after zone selection becomes a reality.

3) I'd also use it from work to listen in the "here" scenario like we can do in v13.  In this case, the desired enhancement would be some tag editing capabilities.  Rating at a minimum.

Basically the must haves are zone selection and having the now playing info showing the same correct info on both the client and the server copy of MC for the respective zones.

As mentioned before, being able to assign a custom toolbar button for each individual zone would be nice for toggling between them instead of the drop-down list or the toggle keyboard combination.
Just click each button to show the playing now for that zone in the current pane.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2009, 05:55:32 pm »

- change from one view scheme to another to select music.
- Look at at the Playing Now list.
- Look at the Recently Ripped and Recently Imported lists...
- See what's playing and how far along I am in the current selection...
- Use the Play/Pause and Stop buttons...
- Change the current zone from...
- Customize the Tremote menus...

...UI actions to be smoother and less clunky ...

--- my advanced wish list
... each one controlling playback on a different zone.
... fix any tag error...

I'm not sure if people have missed my eariler post - but this functionality is all already available in the add-in I have written - even the 'advanced' bits.... (Well - all except for the "commands on the bottom menu")

Check out the following posts for a little history.

It's even got a version which is setup for Small devices (iPhone, WinMobile)
Looking to control J River Media Center from your Windows Phone?: Look for nMedium & nMedium Play in the WP store

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2009, 06:08:01 pm »

I'm not sure if people have missed my eariler post - but this functionality is all already available in the add-in I have written - even the 'advanced' bits.... (Well - all except for the "commands on the bottom menu")

Check out the following posts for a little history.

It's even got a version which is setup for Small devices (iPhone, WinMobile)

Our hope is that building a web service server into Media Center will make work like this easier since you can build on top of a documented, supported system.  Once the SDK is a little further along, it'd be great if you took a look and let us know what we could do to help.

Keep up the great work.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2009, 07:08:25 pm »

Can I currently use the Tremote capability to control MC13 running on a remote machine? Or, do the both client (netbook) and the server (MediaPC) both have to be running MC14?

Thanks,
Osho

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2009, 07:19:18 pm »

If you are going to use WebKit be careful with patch levels.  GTK+ is harder to program for but it doesn't have the security baggage of WebKit.

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2009, 11:37:51 am »

Hopefully the remote system will run Theater view almost exactly as it stands now. I think some skins present themselves nicely for a touchscreen interface. That said I could see some resons for other changes/features.
Currently I can change the behavior of the ENTER key in Theater View (Open Item/Menu, etc) This setting does not change th ebehavior of a mouse click. Honestly if I don't want the item to open on Enter I probably don't want it to open on a mouse click. For example, I want to click on a playlist and be able to choose a playlist and select Play All from the menu not open the item and list all of the contents. A touchscreen interface would behave just like a mouse click and wouldn't be very intuitive.

Optionally, as far as new behavior in MC14, I currently use Netremote for remote control and notice some possible features that would really extend the scope of MC. The option of playing back media on the server or client PC is great. However, can this eventually be set by media type? Suppose I have an audio playlist playing on the host PC and I want to browse through images on the remote PC? could we have the capability of starting playback of an image slideshow on the client while leaving the audio playback on the server alone?

Maybe this is already something that can be accomplished with zones. Although this zone configuration seems as though it would be diffucult for a less experienced user (my wife) to initiate playback of the alternate zones.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2009, 01:22:31 pm »

Hopefully the remote system will run Theater view almost exactly as it stands now.
It's identical.  It gets its settings from the server.

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2009, 01:31:42 pm »

The more I think about this, the more I think you need to be able to cope with multiple remote units that are able to control any client - which includes the server.

You need to be able to pick up a remote and control the nearest device to you, but if you move location you also need to be able to control the device in the next location.

I see zones as being able to define a location and/or media type. Not sure if zones in you current implementation works like this. Essentially, I would see the server as the central point and each zone could be a place (e.g. living room, which might also be the server machine), or group of devices (e.g. kitchen + living room, ground floor, whole house etc). You might even be able to have something like sub-zones - i.e. device that will play music, or where you can watch video.

A remote needs to be able to send the correct media to the correct zone, simply and effectively. It also needs to be able to see what media is playing in what zone or device.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2009, 01:37:10 pm »

The more I think about this, the more I think you need to be able to cope with multiple remote units that are able to control any client - which includes the server.
This works already.  Multiple PC's can connect to a single server and control it.  Any client can also connect to multiple servers.

It's pretty neat.

raldo

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2009, 01:57:09 pm »

This works already.  Multiple PC's can connect to a single server and control it.  Any client can also connect to multiple servers.

Can you run the remote client on the same PC as the server?

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2009, 02:09:03 pm »

This works already.  Multiple PC's can connect to a single server and control it.  Any client can also connect to multiple servers.

It's pretty neat.

Yeah but, is the remote device the third link in the chain:

i.e. Server --> Client (such as a streaming device, or another PC). Then you have the remote device.

Does the 'remote' control just the server or a client that is connected to the server, or both?

So, if there is an HTPC in the living room which acts as the main server, then you have a mini PC in the bedroom connected to a TV as a client, does the remote unit control the server or the client? My feeling is that it needs to control the client (the mini PC), just as a traditional remote would.

However, say you are having a party and have multiple devices all over the house (lets say two upstairs - one in a spare room and one in the bathroom(!), and three downstairs - the living room (main server), kitchen and back room). You want chill out stuff upstairs, but something more lively downstairs. Somehow the remotes needs to be able to cope with all of this. Does the server 'push' music to the clients/zones, or do the clients still need to pull the music? You may have the actual devices hidden so control may not be able to be done directly through the client.

Not sure if any of this makes any sense to you, but it kinda makes sense to me.

Having said all of this, I really need to look at what MC13 can do in this scenario already, but my house or PC set-up isn't quite there yet.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2009, 02:21:00 pm »

I have a feeling that we're descending into a confusing discussion.  Better, perhaps, to try it.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2009, 05:10:35 pm »

Bill,
Thanks for the feedback.  Volume control should be working in the next build.  Maybe a couple other things.  It will probably take 4 or 5 builds to get it to the point where it's pretty useable.

Would you (or anyone else) please describe how you expect to use this?  It might help us implement it more effectively.

Thanks,

Jim

The volume control works for me (with both the mouse and using the volume buttons on the keyboard), but the Play/Pause do not work either.

I work in an office with two desks. I am here during the day and someone else is in the office in the evening. I am the only one with an amplifier and speakers. I would like to share my library with my coworker and allow him to play it with my amp & speakers without having to log onto my computer.

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2009, 12:39:08 pm »

Here's another thought, would it be possible to develop the remote interface using flash? A lot of devices (even WM from 6.5) will be able to render flash, including some cheap (ish) touch screen MP3 players, such as the Cowon range.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2009, 12:49:22 pm »

The volume control works for me (with both the mouse and using the volume buttons on the keyboard), but the Play/Pause do not work either.
Try 14.0.11.  Play and pause should work now.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2009, 01:37:32 pm »

It works great, now. Thanks.

flac.rules

« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2009, 03:08:02 pm »

Sounds like an extremly nice feature. Especially if it can be made to work with MID and Mobile phones. Seems like MC14 is shaping up to be a really nice upgrade.

EDIT: and touch-screen support

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2009, 05:38:15 am »

Is controlling a client possible? My setup is a server in a closet, connecting to this I have a htpc in the living room. The htpc is connected as a client to the server via MC. I'd like to control the htpc with my laptop.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2009, 08:03:54 am »

Is controlling a client possible? My setup is a server in a closet, connecting to this I have a htpc in the living room. The htpc is connected as a client to the server via MC. I'd like to control the htpc with my laptop.
You can connect to any PC that is running Library Server.  You will learn more by trying it.

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2009, 08:50:26 am »

I've tried and it doesn't work I'm afraid. Connectiing to serverpc from laptop is ok, htpc to serverpc is ok. Laptop to htpc serving local library ok, but connecting from laptop to htpc when htpc is connected to serverpc results in error.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2009, 09:12:18 am »

I've tried and it doesn't work I'm afraid. Connectiing to serverpc from laptop is ok, htpc to serverpc is ok. Laptop to htpc serving local library ok, but connecting from laptop to htpc when htpc is connected to serverpc results in error.
How does the HTPC connect to the Server?  Are you using Library Server for that also?  You could try a Windows shared directory.

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2009, 09:50:43 am »

The htpc is connected via library server yes. All files are shared using windows already, the network path is used in the library as well.

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2009, 12:35:09 pm »

Just installed 11 and I love it. I'm really enjoying the client/server control.

Great work!

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2009, 01:00:08 pm »

As I play with it I can't help but ask. Will there eventually be the ability to manage DSP settings, etc from a client?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2009, 11:28:00 am »

Slashgear reports that the Asus Eee PC T91 will be available in the U.S. this week.

T91 page at Ausus

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2009, 03:05:01 pm »

Slashgear reports that the Asus Eee PC T91 will be available in the U.S. this week.

T91 page at Ausus

Looks like it will be £500 in the UK. A little pricey for a remote.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2009, 06:21:38 pm »

Prices go down.  Power goes up.  We're getting close to something that is game changing, in my opinion.

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2009, 11:44:33 am »

T91 page at Ausus

Now I just need a simple way to wall mount it behind a frame with dedicated power to use as a wall touch-screen!

-John

Stargazer

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2009, 10:00:19 pm »

Bill,
Thanks for the feedback.  Volume control should be working in the next build.  Maybe a couple other things.  It will probably take 4 or 5 builds to get it to the point where it's pretty useable.

Would you (or anyone else) please describe how you expect to use this?  It might help us implement it more effectively.

Thanks,

Jim

Hello Jim....  My set up is as follows... Windows Home Server, with two Hauppauge HVR-1800 TV ATSC/Analog Tuner cards, two HDDs with MP3 and FLACs.  The sound output is connected to my componet stereo system.   

My second (main) system, is Windows 7 x64 RC based (was Vista x64 Ultimate, and before that XP Pro x32). This is used for my day to day tasks, internet, email, games, etc. 

I use Beyond TV Link (connects to Beyond TV on the Server), to watch TV on the main system (fullscreen on a second monitor), then the server (with the cards installed) can record shows even if I'm playing a game on the main system. 

I also use NetRemote, to control MC for playing music on the server through my stereo.   I do not play the music from the main system, as I may be playing a game, or other thing and do not want to interupt playback.    I only really need basic palyback controls and library access, and tag editing could come in handy for quick updates.

Thinking about it a little.... having MC running on my main system in a window (fullscreen is only available now), displaying theater/3D/Showroom view, to control MC running on the server would be nice.

I also have a Roko Soundstage in a bedroom to stream from MC on the server.

MrHaugen

« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2009, 05:06:14 am »

I hope this will enable me to:

1. Start playback of music on my HTPC and progress bar and caption as well as playing now is updated on the client.
2. I also hope that this happens for Video as well. Except that I want the Video to go to Fullscreen automaticly on the HTPC/Server (if it's configured that way), or with a double tap or command on the client side. I'd like this to work this way both from standard view or Theater View.
3. I'd also like the zones to be available so you can control all zones on the HTCP/Server from the remote.

I don't know if it's hard to do, but it should not be necessary to bring the video to the client imo. It would mainly be used to start playback somewhere else. Thumbnail updates on the client as well as rating possibilities would be nice touch though.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2009, 06:35:52 am »

1. Start playback of music on my HTPC and progress bar and caption as well as playing now is updated on the client.
2. I also hope that this happens for Video as well. Except that I want the Video to go to Fullscreen automaticly on the HTPC/Server (if it's configured that way), or with a double tap or command on the client side. I'd like this to work this way both from standard view or Theater View.
3. I'd also like the zones to be available so you can control all zones on the HTCP/Server from the remote.
#1 and #2 work now.  #3 is more complicated.  We'll do it after we have the first part working well.

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2009, 02:47:19 pm »

#1 and #2 work now.  #3 is more complicated.  We'll do it after we have the first part working well.

#1 works great.
#2 behavior is a bit more complicted. Client and Server are configured as follows:
Jump on Play (Audio) Playing Now
Jump On Play (Video) Display View (Even in Playing Now)

Assuming that I'm in theater view, I would expect that when selecting an audio file I would go to Playing now and a video file would go to Display View. It doesn't always behave this way. I did some testing and this is what I found.

a) If the server is in Theater View's Playing Now and the client starts an audio playlist the server's screen jumps to display view. (wrong?)
b) If the server is in Theater View's Playing Now and the client stars a video file the server's screen jumps to display view (correct)
c) If the Server is in Theater View's Playing Now and is currently playing a playlist and I add a video file as Next to Play, when the track switches to the video the server remains in Playing Now view and doesn't switch to Display View. (wrong?)

'a' is a problem for obvious reasons. 'c' is a problem because if I just choose Play when selecting the video file I lose my currently loaded playlist.

Just to add one other quick observation that may already be known. When adding tracks to Playing Now from the client the on-screen track listing display is not updated on the client until the current track is either stopped and restarted or the track is changed.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2009, 02:22:05 pm »

Here's another device that might work:

mintpad -- around $150, running WinCE

photos

description

specs

via engadget

cncb

• MC Beta Team
Re: Mintpad
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2009, 02:45:05 pm »

That's interesting.  Do you think MC could run on this or would it be a browser-based control?
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2009, 02:53:32 pm »

That's interesting.  Do you think MC could run on this or would it be a browser-based control?
We're not sure how much work it would take to run on WinCE but it is probably possible.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2009, 06:59:50 pm »

We're not sure how much work it would take to run on WinCE but it is probably possible.
Oooh... how close is WinCE to WinMobile? *hint*

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2009, 11:48:35 pm »

Turn that into a mouse pad, D-Pad, and keyboard, and you have the perfect remote (so long as the battery lasts and it is responsive at all times).
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2009, 08:41:04 am »

Another possibility.  Running only Linux at the moment...

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/

$299 for screen only (Tablet PC), $99 for keyboard.

DiiPii

• Recent member
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2009, 09:39:56 am »

I love where you're going with this. It's sooooo how I was wanting to use MC. I think it's something that sets MC out from the crowd. Well done.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2009, 09:55:01 am »

Thanks.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2009, 10:14:28 pm »

Another possibility.  Running only Linux at the moment...

Of some relevance to the OS on what is a very nice concept... http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2953

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2009, 04:49:37 am »

This sold MC14 for me. I used to use Netremote - both from PCs and Windows Mobile devices - and fiddled around with the HTTP-type interfaces. But this is MUCH better. The same consistent interface wherever you are.

And it's working great.

At the moment, I'm just using it to control the HTPC that's connected to a 60" TV that I don't want on most of the time when I'm playing music. OK, the web interface works OK for that, but as I say, this is MUCH better.

I'm probably shortly going to set it up so that another zone sends to a pair of bluetooth speakers elsewhere in the house as a different zone, and then I'll use one of my laptops there to control it.

And elsewhere, I have a couple of soundbridges. Jamcast allows me to intercept the audio from the "server" PC and stream it to those, so now I have a good way of controlling what gets streamed to them.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record though, I do wish you'd have a look at the APIs for handling WMA DRM - I've posed about this before, and it would be great if both the UPnP server and now this could handle it. It IS possible; Windows Media Player does it already - I realise Microsoft should know how to! - but so does Jamcast and they've probably got less resources working on that than you have ;-) I just feel that I should be able to play ALL the content on each of the PCs, not just some of it, and have to worry about which I can and can't listen to. It would be nice to know that this was at least on the wishlist even if it's number 999 :-)

raldo

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2009, 05:21:18 am »

mintpad -- around $150, running WinCE

There is an interesting spinoff here: At last, a player for WinCe, Pocket PC, WinMobile? At the core, those OSes are the same...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2009, 06:48:24 am »

There is an interesting spinoff here: At last, a player for WinCe, Pocket PC, WinMobile? At the core, those OSes are the same...
Perhaps possible.  We don't know yet.

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2009, 10:52:20 pm »

I think I have another couple of important feature requests.

I can add items to a "There:" Zone, but I can't re-order them or delete items once I've added them via tRemote.

Also, other than Clear Playing Now, none of the right-click options to a "There:" Zone seem to have any effect.

-John

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2009, 01:15:05 am »

The MC client still crashes for me if i turn off the server while using the remote playing there

Can the client wake the server from sleep?

Is it possible to set the default zone on client start up to the server?

Can the client not download the entire library on startup?

Can the client automatically post changes to tags?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2009, 01:03:08 pm »

I don't use my Dell Axim X51V much since I got mu iPhone. If this will work with WinMobile, I'd be over the moon. I'm going to hold onto my Axim for a few more months in hope...

JONCAT

« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2009, 12:20:23 pm »

2) more often though, I'd use it for audio.  I currently have 6 zones in MC.  I'd want to be able to launch the remote piece and be able to select any one of the available zones to send the audio to.  Zone selection is easily done from the main server now, or via rivermote on the itouch.  I can't use the new feature until zone selection is added.  It currently plays on the main desktop speaker output on the main server pc.  If I was listening on those speakers, I'd just fire up MC on the main machine and wouldn't be using the remote copy.  I need to be able to select the garage or swimming pool zones, which is where I use the rivermote product currently to switch to the zone and kick off a playlist.  Rivermote works well for this, but I could envision using a laptop on the pool patio instead, simply to be able to show a larger playing now screen that we could read from the pool to see what's playing.  I'd probably roll this out in two more bedrooms after zone selection becomes a reality.

3) I'd also use it from work to listen in the "here" scenario like we can do in v13.  In this case, the desired enhancement would be some tag editing capabilities.  Rating at a minimum.

Basically the must haves are zone selection and having the now playing info showing the same correct info on both the client and the server copy of MC for the respective zones.

As mentioned before, being able to assign a custom toolbar button for each individual zone would be nice for toggling between them instead of the drop-down list or the toggle keyboard combination.
Just click each button to show the playing now for that zone in the current pane.

I have the same concerns/thoughts as zxsix.

Tremote will give JRiver another edge on all other competitors; this is HUGE. THE biggest issue right now in digital hi-fi is streaming high-res (people spending 2K on Transporters). If we can implement Tremote as connected to zones that would be ground-breaking.

I think you need to come at this from the server; it should LOOK for other instances of JRiver ("netzones") and attach to them automatically. PUSH. Then we simply use something to control the master: UltraVNC, iphone (rivermote), a laptop running an instance of initial version of Tremote - retain the ability to have this link between one master and one controller besides the netzones. While using multiple sound cards in one angle, more realistic is the use of the existing wireless network imo.

Think about it, if you are sticking netbooks or mini-ITX HTPCs around the house in order to connect them to DACs or powered speakers, you don't want them all sitting out in full view - they don't need to be front ends. We do need to use PCs in order to retain the flexibility of MC14. Sure it's nice to have a touchscreen as a remote too which is why I think development should look into push (from master to netzones) but also keep the remote control angle. I think it's safe to say, people have some kind of master system or HTPC (I for one prefer wired storage over NAS) which I already have control of via Gyration remote, wireless mouse, wireless keyboard, and iPhone. What we need is a way to retain the option of a PC as remote for the master but add a JRiver UPnP solution where one can control playback on other PCs.

EDIT - I did see Jim mention the possibility of playback on the host/master machine which is running Tremote. This would be excellent, but I hope the other PCs it would control could be easily accessed with a (Net)Zone feature on the master (i.e. just like we switch between traditional zones).

This could mean a LOT of business for JRiver, but I'm not sure the current implementation has any use for me.

My master HTPC is connect to my hi-fi. I have some hard wired zones out of the EMU1616m for outdoor speakers and I currently use RiverMote to control my zones. If I want to "spread out", I would implement a netbook and use Tremote but I would still be bound to either taking my main instance of JRiver on the HTPC offline in order to connect (maybe run 2nd instance though) via Tremote to the netbook, or I would have to have my laptop out. Hopefully, this isn't how Tremote works, or would work.

I think the eloquence and ingenuity of what you are developing lies in the fact that you already have zones and Tremote, but you need netzones  ;)

DC

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2009, 02:31:33 pm »

Another possibility.  Running only Linux at the moment...

Now were getting to reasonable money. I think no more than £200 could be dedicated to a device who's main purpose would be a remote. Does Linux have a Flash player? The interface could be designed in Flash and that would open up a world of cross platform - eventually even Windows Mobile......

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2009, 02:57:00 pm »

Just thought I'd say, this is exactly my issue with having the Tremote tied to the Library Server.  The issue basically comes down to this: The Library Server feature doesn't have much to do with remote control, and the two uses can conflict.  Consider my setup:

1. I have a PC hidden away in back room (we'll call this the Server PC).  It has a very large RAID-5 volume on it, where effectively all my media lives.  This volume is mounted on every machine on the network as Drive M.  The library is also located on Drive M.  I would like to run MC on this machine as a service, and have it serve the library to all other machines in the house via the Library Server function.  (Currently I cannot due to video performance issues with using Library Server, but that is another issue completely unrelated to this issue.)  While I do actually use MC on this machine occasionally (when I happen to be doing work in that room and want to listen to music or watch something), it is mostly just a server sitting there running 24/7.  It could just as easily be a completely headless box with no sound card stuck in a closet somewhere if I had a closet with adequate cooling to do so.

2. I have a HTPC in the living room.  It accesses effectively all of it's media on the network drive (M as mentioned earlier).  I would like to connect to the "Server PC" and access the shared library from that machine, never using MC in "local library" mode on the HTPC.

3. I have an office PC downstairs in my "man-lair".  This is where I do the majority of my "tagging" work, though I do also do some of it from my laptop and directly from the HTPC.  I would also like to connect this machine to the library served by the "Server PC".  Connecting to the library server would give me all the benefits of allowing multiple MC-clients to connect and modify the library simultaneously, which is why I want to use that feature.  My wife can be watching TV on the HTPC while I tag media files downstairs, and my play counts and whatnot won't get all messed up.

4. I have a laptop that also accesses Drive M, while I'm at home on my fast wireless network.  While I'm away, I also have a 2TB drive I can carry with me that has an always-updated clone of the Drive M RAID (which also serves as a convenient redundant backup of the RAID drives should I suffer multiple drive failure or some other catastrophic problem).  I use this laptop to watch shows up in the bedroom a lot, and other things like that.  I'd like to sometimes use this to connect to the Library Server on the Server PC, and sometimes use it with a local library on the laptop's drive, and sometimes use it with the duplicate of Drive M on the big, honking, external drive, and lastly sometimes use it in Tremote mode.  I also have an EeePC 1000H that I'd sometimes like to use for Tremote type purposes.

All this is fine, except for when I add in Tremote to the mix.  If I want to use Tremote, it would effectively NEVER be used to control and play back media on the "Server PC" (because that machine is off in a back-room and hidden from most people).  If I want to control something, it would almost always be the HTPC.  Maybe occasionally the downstairs "man-lair" PC (there's beer and dartboards and party-friendly stuff down there).  Sometimes, I might even want to remote control the laptop using the 1000H (if I have the laptop outside hooked up to some speakers for an outdoor party).  But the VAST majority of the time it'd be the HTPC.

The problem is, that I can only "remote control" the Server PC, which is useless.  That's about the ONLY machine that I'll never want to remote control.  In fact, most of the time the speakers hooked up to it (just little cheap desktop jobs) are turned off!

The Tremote feature has nothing to do with the Library Server function (from a USE perspective).  I can certainly see why, programatically, it makes sense that they go together (they both need to load the remote system's library) but in actual use, they would often conflict.

More and more, I think people who do have HTPCs will be storing their media on remote systems.  My main reason for doing so is noise and size.  In order to store all my media in a reliable fashion, I need a BUNCH of drives.  This requires a big box with a bunch of cooling.  I don't want all of that sitting in my living room.  A perfect HTPC should be tiny, silent, and have nothing on its single hard drive but the software it needs to run.  Any media can be served up off the network.  However, if I want to remote control something with my fancy touch-screen netbook, it is probably going to be the HTPC, not the server-room machine in the closet!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up