INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD ripping request  (Read 1596 times)

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
CD ripping request
« on: June 04, 2009, 01:22:26 am »

Some ideas for version 14

Support AccurateRip for CD ripping
I don't know what the licensing is for AccurateRip when used in a commercial application.  It is free for non-commercial applications.

I have never used MC for ripping other than as a test to see what it did.  Instead I use either EAC or dBpoweramp because both support AccurateRip and give me confidence that the rip I produce is free of errors.  I even paid for dBpoweramp in order to support the development of AccurateRip.  Some might consider me a little obsessive about ripping quality, but I don't want to end up with potentially audible glitches in a rip.  If a CD is not in the AccurateRip database I rip it twice, each time with a different CD drive, and compare the two to make sure they are equal.  I'm not going to use a ripper that doesn't give me equal confidence.

Identify CDs that have pre-emphasis or HDCD encoding
It is nice to know when a CD has HDCD encoding.  That way I can make a note of HDCD support in the rip.  I can also then choose to run the file through HDCD.exe to get some additional dynamic range back.  If MC could do HDCD decoding then that would be even better.

It is also important (I would say critical) to know if a CD has pre-emphasis.  If a CD has pre-emphasis I need to know so I can apply the proper de-emphasis so it sounds correct after the rip.  Even better if MC could automatically apply a de-emphasis filter during the ripping process.

Copy and paste multiple tag values from multiple files
It would be very handy to be able to select a column of tags (in a detail view) and be able to copy and paste them to and from a spreadsheet.  Also being able to copy and past multiple tags from one set of files in MC to another set of files would be very very handy.

One area where this would be useful is in copying tags into the CD ripper.  I already have my files all tagged nicely.  But some of my albums are not in YADB.  If I could do a single copy and paste from my library to the CD ripper window and have the CD info properly filled in I could feed YADB.  But I'm not going to bother doing that if I have to manually type in a bunch of info.

Read in the CDPlayer.ini format used by EAC for multiple artists albums
EAC writes out multiple artist info as: "artist / track name".  If every track has a slash then you could assume that the info before the slash is an artist name for a multiple artist CD.

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: CD ripping request
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 06:30:57 pm »

It would be helpful to have an indicator in the CD view indicating whether the metadata came from cdplayer.ini or YADB.

Many of my CDs are already in my cdplayer.ini file, either from MC filling in the data or other programs (like EAC) filling in the data.  When I insert a CD and look at the metadata that MC13 gets for the CD I am left wondering whether the metadata came from cdplayer.ini or YADB.  If I see bad data I am left wondering if I should do an update from the online database and risk overwriting my cdplayer.ini data with possibly worse data.  It becomes a gamble.  Am I feeling lucky?  Is my data in cdplayer.ini better than what is in YADB?  Should I just blindly do an update to YADB with my data not knowing if my data is better or worse than what was already there?  There just isn't enough info presented to me to be able to make an informed decision.
Pages: [1]   Go Up