INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: q: which software for ape volume leveling?  (Read 1424 times)

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck
q: which software for ape volume leveling?
« on: June 06, 2009, 03:28:30 am »

hi.

I understand that mp3gain can handle mp3 files.
I also have files in APE format, how do I level the volume to 83DB (which software)?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: q: which software for ape volume leveling?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 09:11:00 am »

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Replay_Gain

If I understand correctly there is a solution to change the gain of an mp3 using the mp3gain,
this will make the replay gain = 0 because the gain is "normalized" (not peaked.. ok).

but for other formats, only a TAG indication exists? what will happen when I transfer a mix of mp3 and ape files to the same playlist of a hendheld? will the APE files be normalized when converted to mp3?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 04:15:46 pm »

If I understand correctly there is a solution to change the gain of an mp3 using the mp3gain,
this will make the replay gain = 0 because the gain is "normalized" (not peaked.. ok).

but for other formats, only a TAG indication exists? what will happen when I transfer a mix of mp3 and ape files to the same playlist of a hendheld? will the APE files be normalized when converted to mp3?

When converting an audio file for use on a handheld, Replay Gain is not currently applied. 

It might be nice if this were an option, but it's a little complicated because if you also transfer MP3 files that are not converted, the volume levels between files with replay gain applied and those without could be quite different.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 04:38:17 pm »

When converting an audio file for use on a handheld, Replay Gain is not currently applied. 

It might be nice if this were an option, but it's a little complicated because if you also transfer MP3 files that are not converted, the volume levels between files with replay gain applied and those without could be quite different.

hi Matt,
currently, all my mp3s passed through mp3gain with 83DB (same as MC) so no problem.
also, I can live with the fact that if I select the replay-gain option while transferring, if the mp3s are not within
a range (+-0.95DB maybe, can be an option too) they will be converted too (maybe time consuming, I know)

can it be done? (please?) MC14?
Pages: [1]   Go Up