INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV recording and scheduling in MC13  (Read 2254 times)

nexos

• Recent member
TV recording and scheduling in MC13
« on: June 06, 2009, 04:56:49 am »

Hi,

I just downloaded MC13 to see if I want to upgrade from MC12.
currently I like it a lot, but I'm having trouble with TV recording.

I have an hauppauge tv card (WinTV-PVR-150) which workes fine on MC12.
MC13 recognized the card like MC12, and listed 4 "channels" which are the 4 possible input ports for the card, I use "composite 1" and was able to select this "channel" and watch it just like in MC12.

Hitting the record button on my remote while watching also worked fine.

But than I tried scheduling a recording, and I realized I can't do it from the scheduler in MC13, but rather from the "television" section.
So I selected the "composite 1" channel, and clicked on the "record" button on the top of the screen, this opens up a dialog box asking me for details like time and duration, I selected 1 minute of recording for now, and continue.

The recording worked, but for some strange reason the result recording was mostly a blank screen, and the actual tv cauture was just in a small area on the top left side of the screen.
Just to make it clear, it's not that the recording was in small resolution, but rather it recorded a screen in which only less than a quarter contains the actual show, minimized, and the rest is black.
this happens every time I schedule a recording, but not when I manually hit record while watching.

what can cause this?

also, 2 more issues regarding recordings:

1. MC13 saves the recorded shows in a strange format (jtv, cnk...), can't I save it in a regular format to watch in diferent software?
2. Without the scheduler, how can I now schedule recuring recordings? daily/weekly and so on, without an EPG, which I don't have?

Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: TV recording and scheduling in MC13
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 01:05:46 pm »

Regarding recording problem, go to Configure... > Settings..., and choose the device in the Devices list.  Then click Configure... button on the right of the list.  On Recording tab, make sure "Hardware Encoder" is selected from the Recording/Timeshifting Profiles list.  If that does not help, you probably need to go to Advanced Properties page and double-click "Video Capture Filter...".  On the resulting window, try changing some of the properties - sorry I can not pin point to exactly what you need to change.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 01:10:31 pm »

1. MC13 saves the recorded shows in a strange format (jtv, cnk...), can't I save it in a regular format to watch in diferent software?

No you can not.  But the jtv file can be played in some other DirectShow powered video players - ZoomPlayer for example, as long as you keep all files in the folder intact.

2. Without the scheduler, how can I now schedule recuring recordings? daily/weekly and so on, without an EPG, which I don't have?

Sorry, that is not available in MC13, unless you have EPG (and since you use a line input, epg would not help anyway).  We should be able to add that in MC14.

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 11:11:01 pm »

In MCE2005, I used to record TV and have Task Scheduler launch Crunchie to convert to "Easily convert DVR-MS to Xvid!" 

This capability is very useful since it compresses the recordings to a small fraction of original DVR-MS size.   

What is this JR format?  Can I still use Crunchie to convert the MC13 recordings?  or are there equivalent methods that do the same thing?

TV Tuner: ATI 550 Pro

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 06:57:16 am »

What is this JR format?  Can I still use Crunchie to convert the MC13 recordings?  or are there equivalent methods that do the same thing?

JR TV recordings are in a "loose container".  The audio and video contained can be in any format (basically whatever your TV tuner device outputs, or whatever compression you use during recording).  We have a DirectShow filter that reads the data and outputs audio and video.  If Crunchie is DirectShow-based, it may work.  Just give it a try.

EDIT: I think Crunchie will not work since it is specifically for DVR-MS.

nexos

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 04:30:06 pm »

Well, concerning the recorder, I was always on "Hardware Encoder" setting, and the rest I really don't know what to do with, so I cannot solve this strange problem.

Adding the fact I can't plan recurring recordings, and the strange recording format, and the fact that MKV videos refuse to show subtitles, MC13 turns out to be much less useful to me than MC12.

So I decided to stick with what works, I can live without the really really cool 3D view for now, maybe MC14 will be an improvement.

I appreciate the help anyway, if there is one thing I really love about this software I purchased is the wonderful support forums.
Pages: [1]   Go Up