INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC14 Preview  (Read 15255 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
MC14 Preview
« on: June 06, 2009, 06:47:57 am »

This is a 30 day trial of a very early version of MC14.  It can be installed alongside MC13.  

Download      Purchase Instructions

It's rough and doesn't have lots of new features.  Many are incomplete.

Please don't report bugs at this time.  We know there are plenty.

A few of the changes:

Tremote -- Use a Netbook as a Remote (ne.tremote).  When connecting to Library Server, a user can choose to make playback happen on the server instead of locally.

Added REST web service interface to Library Server.  Use the URL [library server address]/MCWS/v1/doc or [library server address]/MCWS/v1/wsdl to see documentation. (still a work in progress)

New Remote configuration in Tools/Options/Remote -- adds HID devices like keyboards and gamepads, can be used for any remote.

Tweaked version of Noire skin -- lost 5 pounds.

New import on first install -- you'll see it if you don't allow MC14 to use the MC13 library.  MC searches for folders with media and gives you a checkbox list you can import.  Import takes advantage of multi-core processors

Video tagging via sidecar support

Trees use animation for scrolling

Support for loading Photoshop (psd) images

Native support of DirectShow DSP filters in DSP Studio

Image thumbnails get drawn with a frame

Reading MP3 ID3v2 tags is faster

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re: MC14 Preview
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 08:32:26 am »

Installer not working.

error message:

Internet Explorer Warning:
Install Wizard did not detect a new enough version of Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or above is required.

ummm, I have IE 8.0.6001.18702 installed
(Windows XP SP3)

I know you said
Please don't report bugs at this time.  We know there are plenty.
but this seemed like the exception.
. . . the game is rigged

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 08:59:28 am »

If you haven't, try rebooting and reinstalling.  It's working for others.

Alexx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Now I feel wonderful!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 09:50:41 am »

Ha!  Just for the heck of it, I ported the new diet-Noire skin to MC13 calling it Noire II.  You need
to change the name in main.xml also so you know which one to select.  You weren't kidding about
Noire (II) shedding five pounds. 

Old Noire = 771,758 bytes in 133 files
New Noire = 279,214 bytes in 98 files

This is the only skin I've ever used.

See?  I'm having fun with my new *REGISTERED* MC14 already.

)p(

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 10:55:12 am »

Tremote -- Use a Netbook as a Remote (ne.tremote).  When connecting to Library Server, a user can choose to make playback happen on the server instead of locally.

Video tagging via sidecar support

Yes, my two most wanted missing features :)

peter

jrouss

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 11:14:43 am »

The program seems pretty responsive to me.

axim30

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 11:40:47 am »

More responsive, some new features for remote control - all very good.

For me I'm missing an easy way to add internet radio, an additional tab (audio/photo/video/inet) with inet services would hyave been nice. In fact it's a thing I miss in this new release.

I mean inet is taking over, we have inet-radio / inet-tv and there should be an easy way to integrate with MediaCenter IMHO.
Just some ramblings of a happy MediaCenter user since version 10.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 12:08:56 pm »

Always great to see continued development of MC.  I'm addicted for life.

I really like the smooth scrolling.  Dare I call it 'swing' in jQuery?

thomaspf

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 12:31:51 pm »

Thanks for the consideration of your long term customers! This works great on win 7 with WASAPI.

The simplified layout on the left is more compact and lets me focus on audio only like the MC12 release.

Now, let me get back to a long standing feature request I have voiced for MC11-13.

Please take a look at the convolver plugin (http://convolver.sourceforge.net) and support it as a standard DSP plugin. The new DSP manager finds it and crashes MC14 right away when you load it.  I have been working around this in MC10-13 by loading another plugin right before but the convolver still comes up as disabled every time on load. There are strange buffering effects and somehow the automatic switching of the impulse files for different sample rates does not work.

Fir higher end audio room correction is an essential requirement and having a supported convolver would simplify life to use MC as the standard player.

Cheers

Thomas

amoeba

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 02:45:15 pm »

Could you please add the music note icon, picture icon, or video icon to each tab we have opened?

That way, for example, when we have an Images and a Video tab opened instead of seeing two tabs labeled as:

| Calendar: Panes | Calendar: Panes |

we would instead see

| (images icon) Calendar: Panes | (video icon) Calendar: Panes |

alaskatu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 06:28:24 pm »

I would like to see:

1: MP4 and MKV Metadata Suport. (Read and Writing).
2: IMDB or any oder Database parsing for Movies and Series.
3: Split View local mode (not global), so that i could have just one view for Movies but 2 for Audio.
4: Ability to make Covers thumbnails with specific asphect Ratio for every library. So Audio Quadrat, Video 5x8, and so on.
5: Implementation Plug-in Advanced Track Info with Instalation
6: Implementation Plug-in AutoTagger

That would be my preferences.

Thanks
Alaskatu

drb

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 07:01:28 pm »

Hope somebody can help me out.

I just updated to v.171. Immediately - MC quit working. Hour glass symbol keeps coming and I am unable to click and close. so ctrl alt del.

Also DFX v8.35 quit working as well.

COuld you please help me out?

Also - will v 14 support DFX?

drb

Zep2000

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 04:05:14 am »

Just bought the upgrade from version 12 and got the license to version 14. Many thanks  ;D
So I installed the version 14 of course :) I tried all versions since version 11.

So, basically, the installation was flawless, it detected my prev library from version 13, I said "yes, take it", and everything was there.

Besides, version 14 loads much faster (I have a huge library, and I connect to a NAS). I'm quite happy for the moment.
I still have to look for what's new but I don't expect a lot...but surely it works well.

Cheers,

Zep

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 08:51:49 am »

Thanks!  Ordering and upgrading went smoothly.

johnnyboy

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 02:06:00 pm »

I wanna try it, but if I try it then it means I'm gonna use up my 30 day trial and so later on when v14 is closer to being finished and has a lot more features in it I wont be able to try it again to see if I want to buy the upgrade?

221bBS

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 03:05:18 pm »

Got to love the early bird special, just upgraded and can't wait for MC14's release ;D

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 03:24:57 pm »

I wanna try it, but if I try it then it means I'm gonna use up my 30 day trial and so later on when v14 is closer to being finished and has a lot more features in it I wont be able to try it again to see if I want to buy the upgrade?

Yes, that is true and also my concern. The way it went with MC13 after MC12 didn’t please me at all and I had always the feeling it was stuck at 12.5 as noted already by someone else.

Nevertheless I paid the $14.98 for the MC14 upgrade fee and regard it as an extra donation for the good work done and hopefully upcoming good work :) For me that looks reasonable.

CadErik

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 09:21:23 pm »

It's rough and doesn't have lots of new features.  Many are incomplete.

I really like the concept of controlling MC remotely that will be very useful!

Some wishes:
  • fresh UI - it would be really nice to have "glass" transparent features
  • please have a clock on theater view somewhere
  • UPNP - to share protected tracks among several PCs, otherwise even with Performer Digital you'd better with Media Connect and Media Player

Erik.

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 09:53:29 pm »

fresh UI - it would be really nice to have "glass" transparent features

+1!

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 10:55:06 pm »

Is there a target release # for the eventual MC13 'final'?

johnnyboy

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 12:24:10 am »

Can someone post a screen shot of the new tree then in v14?
I want to see it but dont want to use up my 30 day trial just for the sake of seeing a tree, I'd rather save it till there are a lot of changes worth testing to see if I want to upgrade to it.

Marty3d

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 03:16:03 am »

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 05:46:35 am »

I've tried MC14 preview - the portable installation option - but got an error message due to missing license. I have a MC13 licence. So, at least I would expect to be able to use MC14 for the trial period of 30 days. What's wrong?

Bagofrats

• Recent member
  • Always still learning
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 06:11:39 am »

I did not ask but it was great to be offered.

Thank You

Grant :)

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 06:15:23 am »

I really really really would like to see support for DVB-S2

I've been championing DVB-S support for a while too, see here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=39830.msg271564#msg271564.

DVB-S2 would be excellent, but I'd be happy with just DVB-S for the moment. All the programmes I watch except two are on satellite, so MC is useless to me for TV.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 07:04:32 am »

I've tried MC14 preview - the portable installation option - but got an error message due to missing license. I have a MC13 licence. So, at least I would expect to be able to use MC14 for the trial period of 30 days. What's wrong?
You need a license before you can do a Portable Install.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 07:40:33 am »

Can someone post a screen shot of the new tree then in v14

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 08:35:10 am »

Yes, it looks promising :)

I have a small wish. I am using MC also as my generic audio player on my desktop PC. What would be handy are buttons that allows me to switch quickly between mini view and standard view then. Such button(s) could be located under the “Search” button.

When I am in mini view and click on the “close window button” (uppermost right X button) I am going back to standard view instead of closing the program. Not very logical.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 09:48:53 am »

When I am in mini view and click on the “close window button” (uppermost right X button) I am going back to standard view instead of closing the program. Not very logical.

I think that's the skin doing that. When using the default mini-skin (slim), all there is is a 'minimize' (_) and a 'restore' (X) button. Unfortunately, the restore button is labeled like a typical 'close' button. I agree, this is not very logical.

(Other skins, such as lower-right or lower-left, have 'return to standard' (up arrow), 'minimize' (down arrow) and 'close' (X) button)
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 10:40:43 am »

I can't wait for the remote playback feature. I'm assuming that when its complete there will be total control of the remote pc's playback. Right now I can start playback from a remote PC but after that I lose all remote control capabilities. Just hoping it is a work in progress and not by design.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2009, 10:46:03 am »

I can't wait for the remote playback feature. I'm assuming that when its complete there will be total control of the remote pc's playback. Right now I can start playback from a remote PC but after that I lose all remote control capabilities. Just hoping it is a work in progress and not by design.
You can start now.  You can start something else now.  You can't stop, pause, or change volume.  Those are next.

Please use the Netbook as Remote thread for discussion.

dcooper2

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2009, 11:33:46 am »

I went the Whole Monty and bought a license based on my past happiness with these products.

I am "doing" music collectiions for a "living" and tend to be naive hoping that all new versions of software is my best hope for salvation from the massive load of files I work on daily.

Currently I am: Windows 7 64 Bit with 3.5TB internal, active and working. All files are standardized, tagged, album art imbedded and pretty clean. They are also backed up several times and that has saved my life due to media changes by media players.

The Library function of Windows 7 takes simple storage to a new level of useability. It also represents a real and present danger so well documented in the forums (Search: "replace folder.jpg Windows Media Player"). If your music is included in a Windows 7 Library and you accidently fire up Windows Media Player (not hard to do) then your data in folder.jpg will be replaced by a 200x200 version of what Microsoft and the record companies think should be your data. Just for giggles that file is also attribed: Hidden, System, and when it can get around to it WMP tosses in AlbumArtSmall.jpg with the same attributes.

So, why do I mention that? Well Media Center (including 14) does two similar things by 1) embedding into the ID3 Comments field  and 2) scrounging for art. To be certain, and unlike Windows Media Player, you can shut it off. The accidental danger will be propostional to the MC14's implementation of Windows 7 Libraries and, of course, the users knowledge of the necessary switches to disable.

Cheers to a great product. Loving MC14's direction of remote control of server PC!

ken-l

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 02:33:46 pm »

Wonderful!

I've been running 13, took advantage of the opportunity to get 14, and although I don't use many of the features (I use it for playing my music and adding from Amazon), from what I've seen of 14 it is terrific.

My install went perfectly.

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 02:57:33 pm »

what im wishing in MC14

A hulu plug in. something that works with the Hulu desktop program

album ratings

at the top left where it has the Audio, Video, and Image selection boxes, the option to add more, user defined selections in a grid fashion. right now its a 3 by 1. have the ability to add a second or third row under it with things like "Documents" "Web Media" and things like that.

more video conversion options.

the ability to convert a video into a diferent format without the need of a hand held device.

i use a split view, and always keep the far right for playing now. i would like to be able to set that to always be playing now. not switch around to start or something if i have it selected by accident.

A more modern slick interface.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 03:46:08 pm »

re: Hulu.  I don't expect that hulu will be long for this world, espec as a 'free' service.  Not enough advertising revenue available for them to tap into.  Media buyers are getting extremely cautious spending any $$$ on web advertising.  Hasn't stopped the VCs though; no one remembers the PointCast lesson and everyone is trying to repeat the Web 1.0 windfall, so-called Web 2.0 really isn't, and Web 3.0 looks to be nothing but bottom feeders.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 03:48:48 pm »

I'm excited, but I'm gonna wait.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 04:56:15 pm »

I'm assuming the video sidecar functionality is yet to be implemented, I don't see configuration for it, or any new files in my folders. That feature alone makes this upgrade worth it to me!

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 05:24:45 pm »

I'm assuming the video sidecar functionality is yet to be implemented, I don't see configuration for it, or any new files in my folders. That feature alone makes this upgrade worth it to me!

It's been implemented :)
If you right-click a file, and select Update Tags from Library, the sidecar will be created.
Quote from the beta forum with more detail-
The current sidecar file is xml, in the form of the My Movies xml file format, with additional MC tags added at the end.  "_Original_Filename JRSideCar.xml" is the filename.

Currently it is only for video.

MC always looks for the sidecar in the same folder as the video file.  Although the full path is written in the sidecar, it is always updated with the current folder.

On import, including "Update Library (from tags)", data from the sidecar is imported.

On "Update Tags (from Library)", the sidecar is created/rewritten.

Cheers

-Leezer-

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2009, 06:05:11 am »

is there a way i can pay the 14.98 price right now without installing it? i won't be ready to move to v14 for a month or two at the earliest, but don't want to miss out on the price.

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2009, 06:18:18 am »

Well guy's,

I just bought an upgrade licence to MC14. You guy's rock as MC is the best program out there.

Two items I would love to see are 1) WMA PRO encoding/converting (yes I know I have mentioned it before and 2) the option to automatically monitor a folder and sync it. I rip everything into lossless format then have two virtual devices setup, one for MP3 and one for WMA which then produce converted copies of the lossless original. This now I have to manually sync these folders and would like them to be automated.

Cheers again,

John

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2009, 06:35:45 am »

is there a way i can pay the 14.98 price right now without installing it? i won't be ready to move to v14 for a month or two at the earliest, but don't want to miss out on the price.
Just install it, purchase, then uninstall.  The license will remain so you can re-install later.

You might back up your MC13 library first.

highvalue

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2009, 11:44:37 am »

I bought MC 13 on 18-May-09 and there is no free upgrade included to MC14 (announced beginning of June)?! I am very disappointed as I have used MC vor many versions now.

pilp01a

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2009, 02:50:25 pm »

Do you mean I have just payed (mid april) for a soft (MC13) that won't be maintained any longer ?

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2009, 02:24:36 am »

I bought MC 13 on 18-May-09 and there is no free upgrade included to MC14 (announced beginning of June)?! I am very disappointed as I have used MC vor many versions now.

I don't get your point... What are you complaining about? I used MC for many versions, too. I also didn't get a free version of MC14 when I bought MC13. But: I get what I bought: MC13.

JRiver decided to give a MC14 license for those who buy MC13 after some explicit date in june. They had to make this hard cut and of course some of us have had bad luck. Like you. But no matter what date they would have chosen, there would always be some people in this situation.

What could JRiver do to make everybody happy AND earn their many to continue the development of MC? I think they did it the right way AS THEY DID!

MrHaugen

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2009, 02:55:00 am »

I don't get your point... What are you complaining about? I used MC for many versions, too. I also didn't get a free version of MC14 when I bought MC13. But: I get what I bought: MC13.

JRiver decided to give a MC14 license for those who buy MC13 after some explicit date in june. They had to make this hard cut and of course some of us have had bad luck. Like you. But no matter what date they would have chosen, there would always be some people in this situation.

What could JRiver do to make everybody happy AND earn their many to continue the development of MC? I think they did it the right way AS THEY DID!

Totally agree. You buy version 13, you get version 13. Version 14 is a bonus for users that buy the application within a period before the new version 14 is released. It's the same way Microsoft does it with Vista and Windows 7 now. It's done to make people continue to buy the software, even though people know there will be released a never version soon. If it had not been done, there would be a huge drop in sales until version 14 was out.

I say it again. Please stop crying over a 15-20 bucks upgrade price. It just not right.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Alexx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Now I feel wonderful!
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2009, 06:23:25 am »

I say it again. Please stop crying over a 15-20 bucks upgrade price. It just not right.

Very well stated!  I agree wholeheartedly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up