INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC14 - Not recognising Multiple Artist albums  (Read 2442 times)

DavidCognito

MC14 - Not recognising Multiple Artist albums
« on: June 06, 2009, 09:28:40 am »

I'm just trying out MC14. It's not recognising some albums as (Multiple Artists), where MC12 does. I had the same issue when I trialled MC13 - but didn't follow it up and just stuck with MC12.

They have same album name, same date, same genre, different artist names and are located in the (Multiple Artists) directory. To make it even stranger, some (or all?) are actually labelled as 'by Various Artists' (e.g. 'Café Del Mar 1 - Volumen Uno') but the album is not in the (Multiple Artists) category - and the 'Artists' view shows it as '1 Volumn Uno' even though the 'Artist' tag is [Varies].

Hopefully that makes sense.

Any suggestions, please?

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC14 - Not recognising Multiple Artist albums
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 10:17:52 am »

have you checked if there is something in the 'album artist' tag. when there is a value there take it away.

does it help?

:)
gab

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 05:20:34 pm »

I posted this reply a few days ago:

A possible explanation:

If the file format is MP3 and the TPE2 (aka band/orchestra/accompaniment) ID3v2 file tag incorrectly contains the album name it will be imported to the "Album Artist" library field.

The former "band" field in MP3 files is now read as "Album Artist" (this was changed because WMP, iTunes and many other programs use this system).

If the "Album Artist" field has a value the other, automatic, "Album Artist (auto)" field shows this value. In the default view schemes "Album Artist (auto)" is used instead of "Artist" because that makes possible to group the individual tracks of various artists albums together as albums.

Maybe you are experiencing the same issue.

If the above is correct, I guess you imported the files to an empty library instead of restoring your MC12 library. A possible solution would be to restore an MC12 library backup file. MC would then use the old library field values instead of reading the TPE2 tags from the files.

In order to fix issue also in the file tags you can do as gappie adviced.

Here is more info about the "album artist" system in general: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33255  (The system has not changed, only the ID3 field mapping.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DavidCognito

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 07:21:41 pm »

Thanks, gab, Alex - that did the trick. I cleared 'Album Artist' and problem solved. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up