INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Port?  (Read 1948 times)

neowillendit

• Recent member
Mac Port?
« on: June 07, 2009, 07:18:45 pm »

I'm converting to Mac soon, and I'm gonna miss Media Jukebox so much...I saw your post from 2005 here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?PHPSESSID=f5524d44cf6d6bfd6bfd7465e48050da&topic=5399.msg177584#msg177584

I'd like to reference you to here:

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/04/01/analyst-apples-us-consumer-market-share-now-21-percent/

Do you have your hands too full right now, or would you ever port over to Mac?  The reason I am, is because I'm tired of incompatibilities, problems, optimizing, securing, disabling, enabling...it's a 24/7 job managing my three computers (each with their own non-secure and secure switchable hard drives.  You know...it would be hard at first, but once bug reports stopped upon initial release, you wouldn't have to fix bugs or crazy things out of no-where, until a MAJOR release Apple puts out.  What I'm attracted to about Macs, is that everyone's setup is nearly exactly the same...so if one person has a problem, then everyone does...that means bugs get reported and fixed faster...and in "Windows Life" if you happen to be one of only a few people that have a bug...it won't get fixed ever, so you're stuck...NOT in OSX.

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Mac Port?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 02:55:32 am »

Let me get this straight. You want J River to port MC to OSx? You want them to use countless hours to recode all that's spesific to Windows? For example DirectX and who knows what. And to port the rest of the program to whatever code language OSx use? New programmers most probably have to be hired to be able to do the OSx programming effectiv. After a year or two with NO further upgrades of MC, and NO new features they will finally release it to users that's mostly never heard of the application. Except only a few newly converters. THEN after all this, and the loss of a lot of earlier MC users beacause of the lack of new upgrades and features, the actual process of making new features and fixing bugs comes along. It takes twice the time as today because it's available on two platforms. At that time there are probably similar apps that have most of the same features that MC have, and it looks stunning and are easy to use. Game over.

I can't wait for a port :)

I might be a little to negative here, but considering that Mac still have a little market share compared to Windows I think this would be a recipe of disaster. Use Wine (or bootcamp) and have a blast. People have made it work. Don't try to screw up something that 95% of the users here are quite happy with.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 03:06:42 am »

oh boy...

ding, ding, round 2....

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 06:29:59 am »

What I'm attracted to about Macs, is that everyone's setup is nearly exactly the same...so if one person has a problem, then everyone does...that means bugs get reported and fixed faster...and in "Windows Life" if you happen to be one of only a few people that have a bug...it won't get fixed ever, so you're stuck...NOT in OSX.

Good to see an optimist. In the real world Macs crash, Macs have large hardware variations and a large range of hardware interfaces to generate irresolvable incompatibilities, Macs have buggy software, Mac owners get just as geeky as PC owners (rebuild permissions anyone?). (And I am writing this on an IMac.)

They make nice looking hardware with clever packaging and a seductive interface, but they're just computers underneath.

I second MrHaugen, 99% of Mac users will use iTunes and won't see any benefit in using J River, so no market for an awful lot of work.

neowillendit

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 10:23:15 am »

All points taken, JimH obviously has no interest.  Goodbye.  8)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 10:46:46 am »

I have a lot of interest.  I just don't believe it's economically viable at this time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up