INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import problems  (Read 2549 times)

GrouchyGaijin

Import problems
« on: June 10, 2009, 07:39:36 am »

I'm running 13.0.171 and having trouble importing my music library.

I have a folder that contains MP3s along with sub-folders which also contain MP3s.  When I add the main folder the items in the sub-folders are not imported.  I have to manually choose to import each sub-folder.

I don't see an option to check so that all sub-folders will be imported.  This is a huge hassle. :(

GG

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Import problems
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 07:59:16 am »

How are you doing your import? If you select the menu Tools \ Import Folder, it has always imported subfolders for me. I keep my Search folder at the main root of my audio files. You might want to click the Advanced button to ensure that you have the correct Audio file types selected. Also perhaps you have removed files from the library before and if so, you will want to uncheck "Ignore files previously removd from library".
Jeff

GrouchyGaijin

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 09:20:17 am »

Auto import is set to my main music folder.  If I run auto-import the sub-folders are skipped.  If I go to tools import folder I can then choose a sub-folder and the files import correctly.  I have the file types set for all of the types of music I have. 
I'm thinking of going back to iTunes.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 09:36:47 am »

It should include sub folders if it's done correctly. I've seen people with problems like this before, but it was not the applications fault. This process is very similar to iTunes' import. Except you have the choise to skip files that you have deleted before, and the extention support is far superior.

- Go to File -> Library - Import Folder. Browse for the root folder of the music files
- Mark "Add this folder to auto-import list" if you don't want to run the import manually
- Choose Advanced and mark Audio so all sound files is added
- Loose the mark on "Ignore files previously removed..."
- Click import

If you're going back to iTunes because of a problem like this, then I feel sorry for all the good things you'll be missing out on. Well, they DO have the integrated iPhone support don't they? That's something...

Good luck with the import
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 09:54:20 am »

Sub folders are not skipped.

GrouchyGaijin

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 12:05:20 pm »

Yeah I'm sure this program is great and much better than iTunes, but I followed the directions and still my files aren't coming in unless I choose the sub-folders.  The files are just MP3s.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 12:16:39 pm »

What kind of folder structure and filenames do you use? Could you post a couple of examples of the typical full filename paths?

Also, as a test, could you please place an MP3 file in C:\test\ (or similar) and another MP3 file in C:\test\subfolder\ and add C:\test\ to the import locations.

I am suspecting that something prevents MC from accessing your subfolders or the files in the subfolders, but it would be usefeful to know if the problem does not exist with newly created folders that have simple names.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

GrouchyGaijin

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 12:54:18 pm »

The folder is in My Documents.  My Documents/MUSIC/Creed/Human Clay  this is one example.

Thank you for your help.

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 08:09:31 am »

The folder is in My Documents.  My Documents/MUSIC/Creed/Human Clay  this is one example.
In this case you need to make sure the Search folder is C:\My Documents\MUSIC\ unless you happened to move your My Documents folder to another drive letter.
Click the Advanced button and make sure "Ignore files previously removed from library" is not checked.

I just did this test with my Human Clay album and it picked it up fine.
Jeff

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 08:48:04 am »

It can also be that there are errors in the MP3 files, and that MC will not import them. This happend to a friend of mine, and he blamed MC for several days :) It was not his whole music collection though. Just a few albums/tracks..
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 09:53:45 am »

It can also be that there are errors in the MP3 files, and that MC will not import them. This happend to a friend of mine, and he blamed MC for several days :) It was not his whole music collection though. Just a few albums/tracks..
We've seen a few of these problems in the last several months.  Bad headers on MP3 files usually.  It has to be one of two things:

1.  A bad encoder bug in some software.
2.  Someone maliciously seeding these files into sharing systems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up