INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stop. Whoa. mjb 8  (Read 1090 times)

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
Stop. Whoa. mjb 8
« on: April 28, 2003, 01:24:22 am »

? 8)

I am confused as to why it only took me 10 minutes to figure out what was wrong with this mjb 8 eating all the ram when importing ogg files.   and you others have not.?

but will let you know what it is.    

Ya need more resources.  

from what i see in your messages your using win 98.  that has a resource limit to it.  and thus it will make your computer crash when the resources are all used up.

turn off some of the programs your running when using mjb  it will help on that.

the ones i turned off on my winxp  computer are  msn messager.  pop up killer and the antivirus program.

i then did not get the stopping with  importing  how ever i also found that there are other programs that use the following media formats for files of other  types  and they locked up mjb 8 when it was trying to import them.   so just select the ogg files  and dont let these below selected.

ape
apl
bpl
xpl

the other programs that use them, use them for database files  so  just use the ogg.  and turn off all un needed programs from running in the background.  

and sit there and click the ram cleaner when you see it fill up or start to fill up  that way you might get a head start on the stopping problem   also split up your ogg and other files into smaller groups  i got 870  imported with no trouble.

you might also want to copy the database file mjb 7
uses for the media lib.
before you over install mjb 8  that would then be able to be put in the new mjb 8 and used.  

i think it would be  ?

other then the above there is nothing i can say to do in order to fix your problem this all worked with mine.
roving cowboy / keith hall

plas

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Stop. Whoa. mjb 8
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 08:07:51 am »

Please send your memory info. You can use task manager to see exactly how much memory MJ allocated. Look at the memory usage before and after import.
Repeat the import twice - first with all background applications running and then without them.
MJ allocates memory only for newly imported files. So if you want to reproduce the memory problem, you must clear the media library before import.

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 03:25:05 pm »

sorry i did not think to check the memory but i did just install it on this computer and it that was the first time it was run, and imported.    all the information i said is what i did to make it work or found out why it did not work.

but on winxp  there is no limit for the resource memory.

on win98 there was a limit.

i do have 256 mbs of rambus 400 front side bus ram in this 2.35hz pent 4  computer  so that might have had something to do with why it did not completely crash.  as this computer was fast enough to do the work needed.

but it did crash on trying to import them other fomats that i posted.   the worst one was  bpl and xpl   i think both are used in the xteq-setup tweaking program.   those are where the import  address line stopped at when it crashed.    which is why i said not to use that format.

you got to remember though that mjb will need a lot of resources to gather the  address's of the song files then hold them in ram then run notepad in the background to make the database file for it.   and the more you try to import in the jukebox at one time the more it needs.  

which is why i said to split them in to different folders and import smaller amouts.   you can always put them back in the one folder a little at a time and import them in again.  

that will just make to listings for some songs one will work when you click on it in mjb and one will not. then just delete the listing that did not work, to clean up the lists.

this is not a ram problem though it seems more like a mem leak in mjb somewhere  since it is grabing all the resources it needs.

but since i think  that jim h. and the others told it to grab all it could.

this is not really a mem leak.

just looks like one.

plas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2003, 10:06:43 am »

I've tried to import xpl files from Xteq-setup tweak program, but MJ didn't crash.

Import of Ogg files doesn't crash or halt. It only leaks memory. Usage of system resources is ok.

MJ can't import AVI and MPG files. Video playback has been fixed in version 8.0.398 :),  but import still doesn't work. MJ freezes on every video file. It doesn't show any error message,  it uses 100% of CPU and can't be canceled or closed. >:(

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 09:37:28 pm »

i am sorry your having trouble.

i just came back to post this.

last night i installed mjb 8 on my win98 computer i over installed it on my old version of it which was  mjb7.1

it did not need to import the songs as it just asimulated the old media lib. files.   so all songs were just as they were in mjb 7.

no trouble playing them,  no trouble making my own visuals in it.  

no trouble with ram or any thing like resources.  that your saying you have.?

i am not  able to find what your having trouble with showing up on either that win98 or this winxp.  

i am thinking it has to be some other software confliction causing it.  not any you would be able to see in any of the error codes.  but one that would not look like a coflict but is one.

or your computer is not tweeked enough for mulitmedia,
those are the only things i can think is causing your trouble.

do you have   netscape navigator browser?  if so get rid of it and see if that helps  i got rid of it 3 yrs ago and dont  miss it.  

then  see how much other freeware you have on your computer and how many other programs you have running in the background that you dont need to run.

your saying it is like a mem leak.  i  use the maxmem program from analogx   on my computers  and it shows me i have gained  free ram  after 7 hours of playing music nonstop in mjb 8 on my win98.

i went from 115 mbs of free ram when i started mjb 8  to 180 mbs of free ram when i stopped using mjb 8 after those 7 hours?

so i am gaining and your loseing???  must be some other software causing the trouble.

but i cant figure out what it is since i am not at your house.

i only know i got rid of 50 out of 60 freeware programs on that win98 they started messing with the normal ms stuff.

there is one way of trying to fix it.

go to windows update site and view your install history and start reinstalling anything that looks like it might have got messed up by a recent uninstall or install of another program.  

i do that from time to time just to keep the bit rot down or gone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up