INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View and Touchscreen  (Read 2305 times)

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
Theater View and Touchscreen
« on: June 18, 2009, 01:52:24 pm »

We recently made changes to make rollers easier to use with a touchscreen.  If you still have problems with rollers and a touchscreen with the latest build, please start a thread and we can discuss it.

Thanks.

I'm a developer of touchscreen based Point of Sale systems and have been involved in many touchscreen design projects. After monitoring controlled study groups of common end users for years I realize just how simple and intuitive the interface needs to be.

I have been taking advantage of the new rollers in touchscreen and they are definately an improvement. I love them for scrolling through list, etc. However, what I find is that the common end-user will not understand how to use the rollers. In fact, when I put it in front of some test users only one of them even thought to press and drag the rollers. As a power user I would usually choose the rollers but it's good to have a simple point and shoot interface as well. Most of the roller-based features are also available under the 'view' button in the button based view scheme. This would be a great place for

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
Re: Theater View and Touchscreen
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 11:23:57 pm »

My wife loves the HP software that came with her tablet, as it allows drag and drop into the play queue.

Its also that type of thing that I think MC can improve on, that being the really tactile based experience.

It's another reason why I think MC's Theater View skinning engine needs to be improved, to allow for people to really customise the application to their desires. The basis is there and works really well with the flicking and menu dragging etc, but the ability to do somethings easily is lacking (as in the drag and drop example).

The Root menu is another area that can be improved for the touch experience. While the current system works well  for remotes etc, a system of tiles etc may be a better option for touch use.

Also, - can the windows flicks be disabled just a for a particular application?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 06:48:58 am »

Make sure you're using at least MC14.0.15 with touch screen.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:04:52 am »

I have been taking advantage of the new rollers in touchscreen and they are definately an improvement. I love them for scrolling through list, etc. However, what I find is that the common end-user will not understand how to use the rollers.

Any suggestions?  Touchable arrows at the edge of the roller to scroll?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 08:55:28 pm »

I really think Theater View needs a touch screen specific skin and a remote control skin as the two are quite different in terms of what should be displayed and what can be done.

I had the pleasure of playing with the new Meridian Sooloos system the other day and I have to say in terms of a touch screen interface it's pretty slick.. just out of my price range at the moment.

A touch screen interface is useless to me as I use a remote control, but for those wanting to use a touch screen with MC it's would be a nice.

There are lots of reviews of the system, but here's one showing some on the interface pages, but it would be well worth a look in real life to gather some ideas...

http://www.stereophile.com/mediaservers/908sooloos/index3.html

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up