INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YAMAHA MusicCAST2 - new multiroom control/playback hardware  (Read 1241 times)

jeroen020

• Recent member

Just read about this today - a new, Sonos-like system by Yamaha for controlling and playing back music from various digital sources. Seems very similar to Sonos, but with a few key twists:
- Different controller (touchpad instead of wheel, black instead of white)
- Integration with Yamaha receivers and docks (control those devices over WiFi from anywhere)
- Ability to control other A/V components via IR
- Regular 802.11b/g wifi vs the proprietary mesh that Sonos does (this is probably a downside to the Yamaha approach)
- UPnP/DLNA support (which Sonos only does via a Rhapsody-emulation work around)

Also it seems (but this is via a demo) that the Yamaha has a nicer screen, I really don't like the washed out colors that Sonos offers.

But of course, the key issue is how well the UPnP/DLNA support really is, if this is good it makes for a lot better alternative as a MC platform for multiroom audio.
Of course my ideal would still be true integration into MC, so you cold have full two-way integration straight into the MC library and zone system rather than via the UPnP abstraction that limits functionality.

I won't be buying it but I sure will be following how the Yamaha system evolves and would love to hear if any MC user ever tries it.

Check it out at http://www.yamaha.com/yec/musiccast2/products.asp
Pages: [1]   Go Up