INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Touch and MC13  (Read 3015 times)

JohnFC

• Recent member
Touch and MC13
« on: June 19, 2009, 11:31:53 pm »

What is the current situation?
I have read the other posts and can't see what the current situation is.

I had usb connectivity issues with MC13 and iPod touch - device going on-off-on-off - could not complete a synch.
iPod kept rebooting etc.

I then installed iTunes 8 and it connected, updated the firrmware and worked like a charm, nut as noted and confirmed on this forum - now MC cannot see the iPod at all.

I have un-installed all Apple crap, (Bonjours, Itunes, Software Update, etc) re-booted and still MC cannot see the iPod.
I have tried Option to rescan for devices in MC but no luck.
The Vista OS sees the iPod fine.

Is this terminal and have I lost iPod in MC forever?
Hope not.

Help & Thanks

frankie3s

Re: iPod and MC13
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 12:54:42 am »

Here is something else that I would try.  Find out the chipset of your board and download and install the most recent version of driver wise.  Very important because it is responsible for the communication between the hardware and software.  If this doesn't help, try connecting your iPod directly to your computer bypassing the USB hub if you are using one.  The disconnect could be happening there if there are too many devices attached to the hub, the hub is dying or not a powered one.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Touch and MC13
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 07:59:59 am »

MC will sync with all iPods.

A Touch is not an iPod.

bil1010105

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 03:54:12 pm »

What a ridiculous thing to say.  :o

My iPod Touch 2G is very much an iPod.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 04:06:48 pm »

OK.  It's an iPod Touch.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

It behaves like an iPhone, so MC doesn't support it.  Tell Apple if you want them to support MC.  

They made it difficult on purpose and if we spent the time to support it, they'd probably change it again.  It's not very nice.

JohnFC

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 06:55:38 pm »

I assume what you are saying is that fact that the iPod 16B touch or itouch or whatever 'did work' but now does 'not work' is just tough luck.

What I am asking is why after uninstalling all the apple stuff, windows now see it perfectly,- but MC does not.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 09:13:41 pm »

MC supported the original Touch.

It doesn't support the current ones, and if you installed iTunes, it may have updated the firmware on yours.

JohnFC

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 09:31:09 pm »

Then I humbly suggest you amend your page in MC12, to reflect the current and correct status.
Extremely disheartened by MC and the fact I recently went to MC14!
Seems all a waste.
School fees......

Also, noticed the censorship on my prev post ....some are allowed to speak, others not so fortunate.

"Using your iPod with MC 12
Play music purchased through iTunes Music Store in MC, and transfer tracks to your iPod
If you prefer to use MC to manage all your music, including tracks purchased through  iTunes Music Store, you are in luck. You can add iTunes purchased tracks to the MC Media Library, and sync them, as well as other supported file formats, to your iPod.

iPod Quick Start
If you have iTunes software on your PC, it may launch automatically when you connect your iPod to the PC. We strongly recommend turning this default setting off in the iTunes application. With iTunes open, plug in you iPod and when the iPod Summary window opens, uncheck the "Open iTunes when this iPod is connected" option.

Close iTunes and start the Media Center software on your PC.

Plug your iPod into your computer via the USB or FireWire cables supplied.

Within about 10 seconds, MC will detect the iPod and ask you if it should recognize it as a Handheld Player. It will ask you to give the iPod a name -- Tina's Video iPod, for example. You are then offered several options for syncing, including syncing certain folders or selecting files manually. You can change these later, but try a manual sync first so that you can familiarize yourself with the way things work.

Your iPod should be recognized automatically by MC each time you plug it in. You can also click on Handheld Player in the Action Window. An IPod Sync window will appear. You can then drop the audio files of your choice (as long as the iPod supports them - mp3, tracks purchased via iTunes Music Store, Audible audiobook files on any iPod, images on the Nano, iPod Photo and iPod Video, and mov video files on the iPod Video) onto the window where it says Drop Files Here. Unsupported audio files like APE or FLAC or WMA will be converted to MP3 during transfer (the original files will not be altered).

When you have the files that you want to load ready, just press the Transfer button to upload the files to your iPod. Click on details if you want to see the list of files (both on the device and in the queue).

Once the transfer is complete, wait 5 seconds and then you can unplug the iPod. We recommend clicking on the "Safely Remove Hardware" link in the system tray of your PC before you disconnect. Wait until the "Do not disconnect"  message disappears from your iPod screen.

Tips and Troubleshooting

When an iPod is connected to MC some iPod-specific options are available under Drives & Devices in the Organization Tree. Simply right click on the iPod icon to view the options:

Other Handheld options are available for the iPod when you click on Handheld Player (with the iPod attached) in the Action Window. Click on the Tools icon on the top left of the iPod sync window, and select Options...  Here you have several settings to choose from, including configuring transfer options, and the ability to add or rename devices.

Restore iPod
Warning: This option completely resets your iPod and wipes it clean of any files and Playlists that you have loaded on it.  It should be used if you get persistent and reoccurring error messages or erratic behavior. You may need to use this option if you have been using the iPod with other software and you are having difficulties syncing and transferring files with MC.

How to restore...
If you have trouble with your iPod, Apple recommends the following:

[ from http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/ ]

"These five steps (known as the five Rs) will conquer most iPod issues.
1. Reset your iPod.
2. Retry with a different USB port.
3. Restart your computer.
4. Reinstall iPod and iTunes software.
[ We recommend running the iPod Updater, but not installing iTunes ]
5. Restore your iPod.
"

JohnFC

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 10:25:27 pm »

Follow up

For those interested:

After a disaster install on iTunes 8 whereby MC lost all ability top see the iPod, I removed ALL Apple progs and database, rebooted etc etc, but still MC could not see the iPod - in either MC13 or MC14 - although Windows sees it clearly.

MC Master of the Universe could not/would not assist in any way, so resigned to the fact the would have to go back to iTunes to do any sort of transfers and synchs, I went and installed iTunes 7.7

When I started MC13 and MC14, both version detected the iPod was attached to iTunes and offer to wait while iTunes was shut done.
This I did.

Whalla!!! ..... it all works again.
As I type this, I am synching 3.6GB with MC13 and the ipod has not gone off-line once.
Seems to be working like a dream.

Strange how life can be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up