INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In response to the thread "do not install iTunes 8"  (Read 2536 times)

shelburt

• Recent member
  • Wot's...Uh, the Deal?
In response to the thread "do not install iTunes 8"
« on: June 22, 2009, 01:06:44 pm »

If, like me, you've already installed iTunes 8, then you can download the older versions here!  ;D

http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php

Hope this helps!
--
"From family to nation, every human group is a society of island universes" - Aldous Huxley

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: In response to the thread "do not install iTunes 8"
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 01:46:35 pm »

The new iTunes will probably have already updated your firmware so there's not any point in installing an older one.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 04:29:09 pm »

There are ways to downgrade firmware on the touch/iphone devices.  You just need to obtain the old ipsw file from somewhere besides apple and do a shift-restore in itunes.  Step-by-step directions can be found.

shelburt

• Recent member
  • Wot's...Uh, the Deal?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 04:33:50 pm »

Yup - and here is where to get the old firmware files....

http://www.ipodwizard.net/showthread.php?t=7369
--
"From family to nation, every human group is a society of island universes" - Aldous Huxley

edbro

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 03:30:39 pm »

Is there any way to run an older iTunes version but still update Quicktime to its latest version? I have iTunes 7 on my machine and when I try to install the latest Quicktime, it tells me it must update iTunes. I know there have been a few security fixes to Quicktime since the version that came with iTunes 7.

The only reason I even have iTunes loaded is to be able to create .m4b audiobooks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 03:37:00 pm »

There is a link in our FAQ to this page:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

It used to work.  I'm not sure it still does.

iTunes runs a few programs in the background that might need to be killed.

edbro

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 06:56:53 pm »

Thanks Jim,
I have QT 7 already as it was installed with iTunes 7. I was wondering if there was a way to have iTunes 7 and Quicktime 8. It doesn't appear possible.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 02:26:45 pm »

The latest version of QuickTime is 7.6.2.  There is no version 8 yet (that I'm aware of).

I go to FileHippo to get things like iTunes or QuickTime.  It's easier than trying to navigate through Apple's site.  FileHippo also offers a free update checker application (it's a .NET app) that will scan your computer and let you know if FileHippo has any newer versions.  The update checker will let you know if QuickTime needs an update along with many other programs like Flash, Adobe Reader, etc.  It's better than relying on the Apple updater to let you know when QuickTime needs an update.

QuickTime is one of the apps that you want to be kept up to date.  There have been remote code execution security issues in QuickTime in the past.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 01:03:31 am »

The new iTunes will probably have already updated your firmware so there's not any point in installing an older one.

Please forgive my confusion, but I'm really fuzzy on the latest situation with iTunes, MC, and iPods.  Are you saying that the new iPod firmware is the reason to not install iTunes 8?  It "seems" like this is the upshot of what's been said on this subject (i.e. don't install iTunes 8, but if you already did, it probably updated the firmware, so it doesn't matter anymore.)

If this is the case, does this mean that you cannot purchase a new iPod (which has the latest firmware) and expect it to work with MC?

On a related note, is there any information on what iPod firmware DOES work with MC?

Thanks for clarifying this,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up