INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powerline Network  (Read 1554 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Powerline Network
« on: December 21, 2008, 02:30:41 pm »

I bought three Linksys devices this weekend and converted two of my machines to faster Powerline Networks.

The devices are:

Powerline 4-Port Network Adaptor  PLTS200

Powerline Network Adaptor PLTE200

They connect like this:

Internet -- Cable modem -- Router -- Linksys Network Adaptor ----------Home electrical wiring---------------- Linksys 4 Port Adaptor or Linksys Network Adaptor  (depending on whether you have more than one device to connect)

The nominal speed is 85Mbps.  The utility software included with the devices says that the true speed is between 14 and 31 Mbps.  This seems about right.

I had some trouble getting music to stream smoothly until I replaced the network card in my old Sony VAIO.  The orginal port was on the motherboard.  Music would occasionally stop, wait for 30 seconds, then go on to the next track.  I think the new card fixed that.  The odd thing was that it had been working fine with a Wireless N USB network adaptor.  Switching to the powerline network adaptors exposed some problem with the port on board.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
Re: Powerline Network
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 03:05:10 pm »

We've used these before with work, brilliant for buildings where putting cableing is to expensive, and where wireless won't go through the walls.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Powerline Network
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 07:02:01 am »

Gigabit speeds are now available.
Pages: [1]   Go Up