INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Different File Locations for different DVD Rips  (Read 1787 times)

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Different File Locations for different DVD Rips
« on: June 23, 2009, 08:55:12 am »

Can we have a way of specifying a separate location for DVD Films, to DVD Music Videos etc?
I use these to set-up my views.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Different File Locations for different DVD Rips
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 12:11:17 am »

I've had the same problem.

It's clunky I know but I set up a new field based on a partial string of the filepath.

I keep all my video content in \\server\Video\etc and movies in \\server\Movies\etc

Using the expression Mid([Filename (path)],9,1) I create a new field with either a V or M in it, which cn then be used to create difrerent views. My movies directory outgrew the harddrive so I just added anoth directory on a different drive called Movies 2 and the new field copes with this as well.

Let me know if you have a better idea. 

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 12:29:14 am »

Films & Music Videos??  What about television series DVDs or home movie DVDs?  I have several category folders for DVD rips but I also manually place them where I want them.  Of course you could probably use a field like genre and set it to your desired category and then use it to formulate the folder structure.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 01:16:04 pm »

That's what the etc was for  ;)  :)

Daydream

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 03:41:21 pm »

Films & Music Videos??  What about television series DVDs or home movie DVDs?  I have several category folders for DVD rips but I also manually place them where I want them

I'm constantly amazed at this ongoing struggle. I don't like to be a slave of the file/folder structure. But whatever file/folder structure I had before moving to MC had some solid logic, that allowed for importing the structure as fields in MC. Once that happen I'm less bothered with the folder structure, only just enough to keep it consistent. Then I can just shuffle any kind of hierarchy from within MC, if I really need it.

All my movies have one folder each, directly on the root of the drive. Every series has also only one folder on the drive. Inside the series folder there are no subfolders just episodes with a [Season]x[Episode] - [Name] name scheme. All details captured. Genre and the likes will come in from IMDB and other sources.

Any kind of structure like \Movies\HD\Sci-Fi\Blade-Runner\[finally the movie here] gives me headaches. And it may not be a sound choice in the future. Say something happens in the foreseeable future that you cannot control from within MC (which amazing as it is doesn't deal with a couple of things that the media center general community has much interest in - fanart, multiple screenshots per item, etc). One will be hard press to navigate a complicated folder structure to investigate one thing or another.

Bottom line. You do not need to obey any structure for the sake of being superorganized. First it needs to be practical, now and in the future (which is an aspect I believe we often get distracted from). Then it needs to be as simple as possible. Add granularity if you want with the tools that allows you to do it fast - the database, not with the one that implies a lot of work - the file system.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 07:01:55 pm »

I agree.  At one point I realized: wait, why did I reorganize my DVDs on the drive file system...MC doesn't care.

But again, it is nice to have a very simple structure that you can maintain.  Just keep a few categories and organize everything to them.  I keep thinking of all the view schemes I could create once I get the meta data finalized with all the DVDs I have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up