INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is MC14 going to get serious about iPhone support?  (Read 2200 times)

winterminute

• Junior Woodchuck
Is MC14 going to get serious about iPhone support?
« on: June 23, 2009, 11:01:11 pm »

I've read all the threads, well not all of them, but enough to know that JR has given up on iPhone (and current gen iPods).  My hope is that you've realized what a huge chunk of the market you can't reach without pursuing some kind of solution for MC users with iPhones/iPods.  Apple has zero motivation to work you and you have all the motivation in the world.  The number of users with Apple devices is probably 5x times  (or more) the number of MC users.  You guys should be salivating about the prospect of the size of this user base.  Instead it seems as you're coming across with a holier-than-thou attitude about refusing to do any work in this area on principle.

Instead of users writing to Apple, we should be writing to JR.  I'll believe you when you say that you can't support the iPhone as a first-class device within MC, but there are tons of other solutions that can be explored.  Look at what Palm did, rather than accept that Apple has locked out the Pre, they went out of their way to make their device work.  I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the iTunes/iPhone/iPod ecosystem, but I do know that it looks like you gave up on the problem instead of responding to your user's needs.

I have MC12 and I will not be upgrading until there is some sort of support for Apple devices.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Is MC14 going to get serious about iPhone support?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 11:24:07 pm »

We've spent many man-years supporting iPods.  It has been expensive.  It helps Apple sell hardware.

In return, Apple has added locks to prevent software like ours from working with new iPods.  They've threatened lawsuits to those working on the problem.

I'm sorry you think we're to blame.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up