INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few TV related comments.  (Read 2627 times)

rossp

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
A few TV related comments.
« on: June 24, 2009, 09:11:02 am »

Well I must say that V14 is much better for viewing TV. Well done team.
I do have a few comments / issues with the whole TV experience.

1) When playing from recorded TV shows, you can't see which one your watching, so don't know which one to delete.
    If you have a lot of shows from a series you can forget which episode you just watched.
2) TV does not have a amount played / watched column. Would help with item 1.
3) If you resize any of the columns, change to another pane, go back to TV the changes are not saved.
4) Can't order by column click.
5) No quick skip buttons to go past adverts quickly.
6) Sometimes the aspect ratio of the picture will change. Film is wide screen, then the advert is normal. The border of the advert does not get painted and still shows the last bit of the film.
7) No series record.
8 ) The TV guide does not refresh with time. It always sits at the time you entered the page.
9) The TV guide would be better as a multi channel grid.
10) The icons in the guide (record, watch) do not get repainted unless you hit the 'set to now' button.
11) If the show time of the scheduled recording changes the MC does not change the scheduled record time.

Just a few ideas but over all the TV is much much better.

Rgds...Ross

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: A few TV related comments.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 09:34:47 am »

1) When playing from recorded TV shows, you can't see which one your watching, so don't know which one to delete.
    If you have a lot of shows from a series you can forget which episode you just watched.
2) TV does not have a amount played / watched column. Would help with item 1.
3) If you resize any of the columns, change to another pane, go back to TV the changes are not saved.
4) Can't order by column click.
5) No quick skip buttons to go past adverts quickly.
The right arrow will skip 30 seconds forward.
6) Sometimes the aspect ratio of the picture will change. Film is wide screen, then the advert is normal. The border of the advert does not get painted and still shows the last bit of the film.
7) No series record.
Subscription is possible by name.  It's set up in Standard View.
8 ) The TV guide does not refresh with time. It always sits at the time you entered the page.
I agree this should probably be the default, but you also need to look back sometimes.
9) The TV guide would be better as a multi channel grid.
10) The icons in the guide (record, watch) do not get repainted unless you hit the 'set to now' button.
11) If the show time of the scheduled recording changes the MC does not change the scheduled record time.
Subscription is by name or time.
Just a few ideas but over all the TV is much much better.
Thanks for all the feedback.  It's useful.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 03:00:20 pm »

When you play a recording, the program name and date are show in the current file area.  Does that not give you enough info?

When stop playing, the selection goes back to the top of the list.  I need to change it so it remains on the last played recording.

That is strange.  We do refresh video size on a timer.  Does the problem remain for the entire duration of the ad, or does it fix itself in a few seconds?

7) No series record.

Subscription?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 03:05:17 pm »

The right arrow will skip 30 seconds forward.Subscription is possible by name.  It's set up in Standard View.I agree this should probably be the default, but you also need to look back sometimes.Subscription is by name or time.Thanks for all the feedback.  It's useful.
Thanks Jim thats great. As an aside is there a list of all the default keyboard shortcuts?

When you play a recording, the program name and date are show in the current file area.  Does that not give you enough info?
Well if you play it full screen you can't see that information unless you display MC on the other screen. If you return to the last played recording then it cracks the problem. However a column with amount played would be great

Subscription is possible by name.  It's set up in Standard View.
Thats not series record. That just record programs at this time with the same name. Series record knows what episode of a series a program is and can record of a different channel if other timing conflicts exist.

That is strange.  We do refresh video size on a timer.  Does the problem remain for the entire duration of the ad, or does it fix itself in a few seconds?
I ran a test and the display issue started at 13:47 minutes and continued until 23:58 minutes. I have two screen grabs if you like. Maybee it's the way I use MC. I like the detached display using 90% of my second monitor with MC in mini mode underneath but full width.

Hope this helps - there are some of my unanswered items not mentioned here.

Ross

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 11:40:45 am »

there are some of my unanswered items not mentioned here.

I will answer a few of them now  :)

1) and 2):

The following changes have been made recently, and will be available when a new build comes out:

Changed: MC will remember currently selected program in television view's programs list.  When returning to the list after watching a recorded or live program the same program will remain selected (highlighted).

NEW: A "Watched" column in "Recordings" list, in Television View, that indicates whether, or when, or how much you have watched the television recordings.

9):

Do you mean something like what you find on TV Guide/Yahoo TV web sites?  I actually like our way better.  The reason is this: we already have a separate TV Channels list to the left of the Guide list.  If you want to see guide data for a specific channel, you can simply click the channel in the Channels list.  The guide list changes to listing only entries for that channel.  You can then scroll up or down to find a program.  That is a lot easier than pulling a horizontal scroll bar while trying to maintain a vertical position, and still trying to remember which horizontal line you are looking at.  

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 10:19:05 am »

The following changes have been made recently, and will be available when a new build comes out:

Changed: MC will remember currently selected program in television view's programs list.  When returning to the list after watching a recorded or live program the same program will remain selected (highlighted).

NEW: A "Watched" column in "Recordings" list, in Television View, that indicates whether, or when, or how much you have watched the television recordings.

Excellent...

9):

Do you mean something like what you find on TV Guide/Yahoo TV web sites?  I actually like our way better.  The reason is this: we already have a separate TV Channels list to the left of the Guide list.  If you want to see guide data for a specific channel, you can simply click the channel in the Channels list.  The guide list changes to listing only entries for that channel.  You can then scroll up or down to find a program.  That is a lot easier than pulling a horizontal scroll bar while trying to maintain a vertical position, and still trying to remember which horizontal line you are looking at.

It's a matter of choice. I still like the grid approach.

Thanks for the quick changes...

Ross

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 02:24:06 pm »

Hi Yaobing,

Looks like ...
6 Sometimes the aspect ratio of the picture will change. Film is wide screen, then the advert is normal. The border of the advert does not get painted and still shows the last bit of the film.

If you click on the detached display window then the window gets refreshed.
My layout is a detached video window with a mini view MC underneath.

Ross
Pages: [1]   Go Up