INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last FM Plugin Help Needed Regarding the "Replace" Option  (Read 1158 times)

mbp

• A blue rock, just rolling up a hill.
Last FM Plugin Help Needed Regarding the "Replace" Option
« on: June 29, 2009, 05:04:52 pm »

Hi,

In the 'Options' window for the last.fm plugin, there are 7 tabs across the top (Main, Logging, Replace, Filter, etc...)

I am able to use the Filter function successfully (in order to prevent a few genres from being submitted), however I can't get the Replace function to do anything...  Either I've misunderstood the intention of that feature, or I'm not using it correctly, or it just doesn't work.

It explains it's purpose like this "You can use this dialog to replace any strings with alternatives, e.g. replace ABBA with Abba.

Seems pretty clear.  What I would like to do, for example, is replace "Rolling Stones (01 STUDIO)" with "Rolling Stones".  With artists like the Stones, I use several 'artist' names in order to sort albums and dates and bootlegs and whatever the way I like it...  So I've got "Rolling Stones (02 LIVE)", "Rolling Stones (03 BEST OF)", and so on...

Clearly this is a problem when this gets submitted to last.fm - those 'bands' don't exist, and I would just like to use the Replace function to change those 'artists' all to the same artist "The Rolling Stones".

I've tried very simple things like changing Rolling to ROLLING (like the given example with 'abba') - as well as experimented with using quotes and brackets and even 'search' syntax like artist="James Taylor" to artist="JAMES TAYLOR"...  So far nothing works - nothing I've tried has done anything - it's as if it's just being ignored.  (And no sign of anything to with this that I can see in the log file either.)

Any ideas?  It's pretty amazing to me that there isn't any more info/help - at least a little more explanation on how that feature is meant to work (and how to make it work).  But then again, I could be missing something very simple.

Thanks in advance for your help and your time!

(I'm using MC version 13.0.171 on Win XP)

Cheers,
mbp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"That's what's cool about working with computers. They don't argue, they remember everything and they don't drink all your beer."
 ~ Paul Leary

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."
 ~ Paul Ehrlich

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."
 ~ Steve Wozniak
It's not what I need.  It's what I need to do.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Last FM Plugin Help Needed Regarding the "Replace" Option
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 02:24:49 am »

i actually think the replace function is much more straightforward. it wont work with expessions. so i guess you could type:
replace: Rolling Stones (01 STUDIO) With Rolling Stones. per item. i guess that that is not what you are after.

now what you could do is use the advanced tab. and after artist put:
Code: [Select]
=ListItem([Artist],0,/()this takes everything that has () at the end of the artist away.. i tested with one artist and it seemed to work.

:)
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up