INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming again [wireless sound card?]  (Read 2160 times)

iwf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Streaming again [wireless sound card?]
« on: June 14, 2009, 02:57:01 am »

I know, I know it's been asked before but I wonder if there's any better out there.

I run a HTPC in my lounge running MC13 with a NAS out back in my study.

In my kitchen I have a small amp and a couple of speakers, wired also into the bathroom.

The HTPC is connected into the lounge HiFI and I run a wired solution from the tape output through to the kitchen.  I like this as it deals with all the syncing stuff. I simply play something in the lounge and by switching on the amp in the kitchen i get music through the flat.  I say flat only because it's quite small and all I want to do is stream what's playing in the lounge into the kitchen.

All is fine except, I have bloody big cable running from the lounge amp up into the loft.  Can't chase the cable into the wall because of shelving etc so I am thinking wireless.

Searching the web lists the old Logitech Music system blue tooth, but I'm not sure it's available any longer. I think what i need is a USB device that MC thinkings is a soundcard with a wireless transmitter and receiver that's hooked into the kitchen amp.

I've considered Sonos and so on a few times, but I like MC and the newish Theatre views. As i say I don't want different things playing in different rooms, nor video or really anything fancy.

Any ideas

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Streaming again [wireless sound card?]
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 06:11:08 pm »

We're looking for something like this, too.  Matt needs it for his kitchen.  I'd like to have another zone at home.

Here's what I tried today (it failed).

D-Link DUB-9240 Wireless USB starter kit.  ($130 from Micro Center)
with
SIIG USB Soundwave 7.1 USB audio adaptor ($20 from Micro Center)

Individually, they both worked fine.  The Wireless USB kit has a USB stick and a 4 port USB hub connected by radio.  USB Wireless is an emerging standard.

The USB audio stick was recognized by Vista without installing a driver and it worked fine.  It has an 1/8 inch stereo port on one end and USB on the other.

When I tried them as a pair, the D-Link hub said it couldn't do an "isochronous" connection.  I suppose this means synchronized time devices.

When I searched for "isochronous" and "wireless USB", I found a Silex device that claims it does it.

We're getting close.

About a year ago, I tried a Linksys Music Bridge.  It wasn't reliable. 

jeroen020

• Recent member
Re: Streaming again [wireless sound card?]
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 04:40:21 pm »

I have a somewhat comparable situation, however I'm lucky enough to have ethernet in most rooms in my house.
Belkin offers a Network USB Hub that allows you to 'extend' a USB hub via ethernet, so you connect from any computer in your netwerk to a USB device on the hub. It comes with 4 ports and can be expanded via additional (regular) USB hubs. On the PC (or Mac) end you need to install software to discover & connect to the hub. You can set up devices to auto-connect (if only one PC uses that device) or manually. I've tested this with a simple USB sound card with a line out (3.5mm jack) and MC v13 and it works like a charm, behaves just as if it was connected directly to a USB port on the PC. Via MC I've set it up as a separate zone and I can use HTTP control plugin for multizone control via PC or even Iphone.

Of course you're looking at a wireless solution, but wireless USB should fill this gap as JimH explains. However if you'd be willing to consider one extra device, you could probably get a wireless-to-ethernet bridge and use the Belkin scenario I'm working with.

Pages: [1]   Go Up