INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still going around in ASPI circles  (Read 2570 times)

smiff

• Recent member
Still going around in ASPI circles
« on: July 12, 2002, 06:40:19 am »

Upgraded to MJ 8.0.320 from 7, lost ability to play/rip CD's digitally. When I try to play a CD, the jukebox starts up, playlist drops down, visualization flashes up for an instant, then the player goes back to "stopped". Works in analog but when ripping, I get an error at the end of the process.

Hardware; GCE8160 CD-RW
MJ Help, System Info ...  
Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.320
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\
CPU: AMD Athlon 901 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 154 MB
Resource Info: System - 62 %, GDI - 72 %, User - 62 %
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 5.50.4134.100
wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) ,
ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: N/A

... Can't find anything (other than
Aspi32.sys N/A) else abnormal. Otherwise,
computer seems to run OK.
Aspichk.exe says everything's
OK, finds 4 files all ver 4.60.

?

Perhaps unrelated - I didn't have to 'buy MJ' or provide 'Restore Licence' info, to activate 8.0.320. Options are greyed out.

Any help would be appreciated.
smiff

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Still going around in ASPI circles
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2002, 07:32:17 am »

> Perhaps unrelated - I didn't have to 'buy MJ' or provide 'Restore Licence' info, to activate 8.0.320. Options are greyed out.

That means it is fully licensed.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

LCtheDJ

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2002, 05:03:06 pm »

Try installing the latest ASPI layer from Adaptec; it installs easy without any requirement for Adaptec hardware to be on your computer.  Having this installed, very often fixes problems with ripping.  Please post back and let us know if it worked.

Get it here:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.html?cat=/Product/ASPI-4.70&filekey=aspi_v471.exe

smiff

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2002, 05:25:16 pm »

Thx LC for your comments ...

Still no go, and no changes in behavior in MJ.

I upgraded, so now Aspitest.exe reports 4 files;
apix.vxd and wniaspi32.dll are ver 4.71
winaspi.dll and aspienum.vxd are 4.60

FWIW, Aspichk.exe reports 2 files, the two ver 4.71 and says "Aspi is installed and fully operational". It leaves space for two other files and show "0" bytes.
smiff

sekim

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2002, 05:36:31 pm »

J River -

Is there a possibility that the problem lies with something these burners have in common? I think most are manufactured by Little Goldstar. At least from those that posted what they are. That's what I have also. Maybe???

smiff

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2002, 05:43:32 pm »

I wouldn't disagree. Mine is an LG, but what puzzles me is why it worked OK with ver 7 and now, won't with 8.0.320. Hmmmmm.
smiff

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2002, 05:46:20 pm »

>> I think most are manufactured by Little Goldstar.
It's Big Company In Korea
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

phelt

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2002, 06:05:20 pm »

Quote:
FWIW, Aspichk.exe reports 2 files, the two ver 4.71 and says "Aspi is installed and fully operational". It leaves space for two other files and show "0" bytes
End Quote

Which files?

Also, ASPI 4.71 install appears to leave out a couple of registry entries - I ran into this problem with Exact Audio Copy recently.

sekim

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2002, 06:13:54 pm »

smiff,

It worked fine for me also until build .321 or so.

J River guys...

Now I uninstalled and reinstalled and everything is messed up. Still no burner. Library in shambles. I think I'm gonna just delete everything and start from scratch. Wait....

Just threw in a cd and it tells me I don't have an ASPI layer. Do you want to install one? Yes.

But, system info says I do have it. At least the same as when it worked previously. OK, package installed successfully. But...cd still in drive and the same message comes up... Do you want to install ASPI?

Maybe the package installer is having some problems with ASPI installation. Or, do I have to re-boot and try that?

I don't want to re-rip this stuff again. Gonna try a re-import and see if it helps. More later.

smiff

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2002, 06:16:10 pm »

Here are the four listed files -

apix.vxd and wniaspi32.dll are ver 4.71
winaspi.dll and aspienum.vxd are 4.60
In aspichk, it only reports the two 4.71 files. Two other spaces below are left empty, and show 0 bytes, yet a message says aspi is installed and working properly .... NOT.

As far as the registry entries are concerned, I'm all ears.

thx.
smiff

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2002, 02:31:23 am »

G Drive suddenly reappeared this AM from The Land Of The Lost - just as I was about to fiddle with the ASPI layers. As I recall, this is what happened the last time it disappeared. Also associated with updating to a new build. Can't tell you that I did anything specific to cause this, other than downloading a few files from EMusic with d/l manager.

Rather like when your cat disappears for a day or a two at a time, then nonchalantly shows up at the back door as if it had just wandered behind the couch for a moment.

HTH

sekim

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2002, 02:55:58 am »

HTH,

Did this happen with .327? I still can't get MJ to find a burner, even though it is listed in Device Manager as working properly.

On another note...

I'd hate to have to reinstall Easy CD Creator just to burn some mp3 files. That rotten thing takes hours to burn what MJ does in mere minutes.

Galey

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2002, 03:04:44 am »

The same thing happened to me.  I lost the ability to burn with Feurio.  Since I could burn with MJB, and I had just updated it, I knew that must've been the culprit.  I installed the 4.71 ASPI drivers and that fixed it!

Windows XP Pro
TDK VeloCD 24x
Feurio 1.65

Harry|PLS|the|PLS|Hipster

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2002, 04:58:58 am »

Machinehead:

No - I was at 321 when the burner first disappeared. Hadn't noticed it till you raised the issue, cuz I hadn't been ripping or burning recently. Installed 326, same thing, went through uninstall/reinstall, did nothing, ditto rebooting,etc. G Drive had also disappeared from My Computer, couldn't find any evidence of it in Belarc. Completely AWOL.

This AM, it just popped up again. This is exactly what happened a number of builds ago, earlier in 8x. Really can't point to anything I did that could have resuscitated it.

Only The Shadow knows....

HTH

sekim

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2002, 05:10:24 am »

HTH,

I think that's when I lost my burner also - 321. BTW - Love the Shadow pic!!!

J River guys - I am almost sure now that this burner business bug is yours. Put Easy CD Creator 5 basic back on the machine. TADA, burner works. Erasing a CD-R/W as I type. Went so far as to get version .320 this morning and still no luck. Curious, is there a possible registry that could be giving me headaches? If there is something that could be deleted and reinstalled I'd be game to try that. Need direction though.

Ilmar

• World Citizen
  • JOATYou mean besides music?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2002, 01:35:10 pm »

Hi

I had the runaround with the aspi layer long ago. The fault resulted in my SCSI hard disks being slower than floppy disks!

My problem was that I had mixed versions of adaptec files in the aspi layer.

you need to make sure that ALL of the ASPI files are  replaced by the latest version.

How you can do that in WinME, I don't know if you have a safe mode? I ditched WinME after product testing it (for an OEM PC Manufacturer) after only three weeks.

If you have a safe mode, then go there and then replace the files.

Ilmar
Ilmar

"We make a living by what we get,
But we make a life by what we give"
     Sir WInston Churchill

JohnT

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2002, 06:38:17 am »

I posted this in another thread, but I'll post it here as well:

There's a bug in Adaptec's ASPI updater for Win98. It neglects to add a necessary registry entry. If you're comfortable editing the registry, you can do the 4.71 aspiinst.exe procedure and then add this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\APIX
And then add this string value under the new key:
ExcludeMiniports="" (just leave the value blank, you don't need the quotes)
Then reboot the system and try MJ again.
If you're not comfortable doing this, I can send you a file to automatically insert it in the registry. The next build of MJ will check for this value and create it if it's not there.

Please let us know if this takes care of the problem or not.

Thanks!

- John T.
johnt @ jriver.com
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up