INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art - Video (TV series)  (Read 1332 times)

Daydream

• Citizen of the Universe
Cover Art - Video (TV series)
« on: July 12, 2009, 01:18:28 am »

Unless I'm missing something... won't the cover art stored "in a specified folder" be overwritten for episodes with the same name (different series)? The naming scheme is Video - [Name] (of the episode). For instance there is a big number of episodes titled "Endgame" (Voyager, SG-1, X-Files, Alias, etc). Last cover will be the only one left. If I ever force the cover art to be re-read ("Quick find in...") the same cover art will appear everywhere.

Can this be fixed, maybe with a more detailed name for the external covers?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Cover Art - Video (TV series)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 02:14:47 am »

It's not just TV shows... movies that are remade have to be named carefully. I have the 2008 and 1959 versions of "Journey to the center of the earth". Today I found them both with the same cover art. I preferred the old [filename].jpg naming scheme, which I used to batch rename the files to "[name] [year] [resolution] [source] [video codec] [audio codec]". Now I'm going to have to rename all the [name] fields to =[name] ([year]), and change my file naming scheme to compensate for the year being part of the name.

Daydream

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 01:44:22 pm »

That's all good as a workaround but I find it confusing. If I attempt to reference it in the future I'll have to compensate again for whatever got added to it. I'm thinking if the coverart gets a unique identifier in the database we should use that as part of the filename, or any other related key that can be referenced and be unique.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:13:16 pm »

That's all good as a workaround but I find it confusing. If I attempt to reference it in the future I'll have to compensate again for whatever got added to it. I'm thinking if the coverart gets a unique identifier in the database we should use that as part of the filename, or any other related key that can be referenced and be unique.

I agree, despite coming up with a workaround (which I have yet to implement). For me, the [Name] field gets filled with the show name, season/episode number and then the title if any. So, most of my TV shows are in fact unique [names] and hence cover art. For me, your gripe is more applicable to movies, but it is exactly the same issue. I also don't like the "Video - " prefix either, because it makes searching for a particular DVD cover in my cover art folder more tedious. Normally I'd just start typing the name of the movie and be taken to the cover art; since they all start with "Video - ", this cannot be done. I still think "[filename].jpg" was perfect. Add " - MC" at the end if you must, or " - Video", but simply [Name].jpg is not unique enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up