INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC13 not saving my Supported Types settings for my Handheld  (Read 4351 times)

russellnewman

• Recent member

Tools / Options / Handheld / Files & Paths / Supported Types
Every time a connect my Sansa View Handheld to sync it, I have to reset my "Supported Types".  MC13 always reverts back to the default showing all types "txt;wav;mp3;avi;asf;dvr-ms;jpg;bmp;wma;wmv;mp4;aa;aac;m4a;m4b;m4p;m4v" every time I connect my device.  All of the other settings I have made are kept correctly.  Why doesn't MC13 (v13.0.171) retain my "Supported Types" correctly? 
Thank you. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC13 not saving my Supported Types settings for my Handheld
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:49:37 am »

That's strange.

Does it remember for the run of the program if you make a change, or if you exit options and come back in?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

russellnewman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 12:39:01 pm »

The Supported Types reverts back to it's default in both scenarios:
   a.) if I close and reopen the MC13 Application (leaving the device connected)
   b.) disconnecting / reconnecting the device (leaving the Application up and running)

I can sync and re-sync and make changes to my synclists, etc.  It will retain my supported types just fine until I either close the app or disconnect the device. 
All of my other device specific settings are still there; my device's name; converstion preferences; files paths on the device, etc.   

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 01:18:57 pm »

Looking at the code, I don't see how this is happening.  User settings should trump device defaults.

What is it changing from and to?  The exact string would be helpful.

Also, if you look in the registry for "Forced Setting - Supported File Types" here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 14\Portable Devices\Detected Devices\[device ID]

Can you see that it's saving your change?

Thanks.

russellnewman

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 01:45:53 pm »

The default = txt;wav;mp3;avi;asf;dvr-ms;jpg;bmp;wma;wmv;mp4;aa;aac;m4a;m4b;m4p;m4v
I change it to = mp3;wma

Yes, I can see the change in the registry key (my path includes Media Center 13; using v13.0.171). 

My device is a Sansa View 32GB; latest firmware verified. 
My device also has a microSD 16GB (in addition to its internal 32). 
Media Center 13 correctly recognize both the internal and the add-in card. 
The Detected Devices in the registry has an seperate entry for both the Interal 32GB and the add-on 16GB
I also see a detected device entry for my USB Flash drive (not used within the MC13 application). 

Are there any log files or registry key exports that I can provide to assist with troubleshooting? 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 02:24:09 pm »

So it's only adding types to the list?

This is done when the device itself reports that it supports certain types.  Is the device reporting that it supports a file it really doesn't, or what problem does this addition cause?

Thanks.

russellnewman

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 02:43:57 pm »

No, it's not adding or subtracting anything to the Supported Types list.  The Sansa View device doesn't "report" anything to the Media Center.  Is it supposed to?  Is MC supposed to be able to automaticaly detect which file formats a particular device supports? 

When I launch the Media Center, the default Supported Types (regardless of which device is connected) is always "txt;wav;mp3;avi;asf;dvr-ms;jpg;bmp;wma;wmv;mp4;aa;aac;m4a;m4b;m4p;m4v"
This default string of fle types is what is already in the MC13 application when I first open the Tools / Options / Handheld / Files & Paths / Supported Types

Every time I sync, I have to change it to = mp3;wma
Every time I disconnect the device or close the Media Center, it reverts back to that long list of default media types. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 02:55:57 pm »

No, it's not adding or subtracting anything to the Supported Types list.  The Sansa View device doesn't "report" anything to the Media Center.  Is it supposed to?  Is MC supposed to be able to automaticaly detect which file formats a particular device supports? 

When I launch the Media Center, the default Supported Types (regardless of which device is connected) is always "txt;wav;mp3;avi;asf;dvr-ms;jpg;bmp;wma;wmv;mp4;aa;aac;m4a;m4b;m4p;m4v"
This default string of fle types is what is already in the MC13 application when I first open the Tools / Options / Handheld / Files & Paths / Supported Types

Every time I sync, I have to change it to = mp3;wma
Every time I disconnect the device or close the Media Center, it reverts back to that long list of default media types. 

The device reports what files types it supports.  These get added to the list of supported types.  It shouldn't hurt anything.

russellnewman

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 03:08:43 pm »

I don't think you're understanding my question. 

The Sansa View supports the following: MPEG4, WMV, H.264, MP3, WMA, WAV, non-DRM AAC. 

1.) Why does Media Center show "txt;wav;mp3;avi;asf;dvr-ms;jpg;bmp;wma;wmv;mp4;aa;aac;m4a;m4b;m4p;m4v" ?
2.) When I change the supported types to "mp3;wma" only why does Media Center not retain my settings. 

Doesn't the Supported Types determine whether or not the Media Center should "convert" the file prior to syncing it to the device?  Isn't that the purpose of the "Supported Types"? 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 03:17:26 pm »

I don't think you're understanding my question.  

The Sansa View supports the following: MPEG4, WMV, H.264, MP3, WMA, WAV, non-DRM AAC.  

1.) Why does Media Center show "txt;wav;mp3;avi;asf;dvr-ms;jpg;bmp;wma;wmv;mp4;aa;aac;m4a;m4b;m4p;m4v" ?
2.) When I change the supported types to "mp3;wma" only why does Media Center not retain my settings.  

Doesn't the Supported Types determine whether or not the Media Center should "convert" the file prior to syncing it to the device?  Isn't that the purpose of the "Supported Types"?  

We enumerate the device for supported formats.  They get added to the user entered formats.

If you're trying to understand the technical mechanism, it's IWMDMDevice3::GetProperty(g_wszWMDMFormatsSupported).

russellnewman

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 04:09:19 pm »

You "enumerate" the device???   
Are you saying that MC supposed to be able to automaticaly detect which file formats a particular device supports and prefill the Supported Types field automaticaly? 

What is "IWMDMDevice3::GetProperty(g_wszWMDMFormatsSupported)"?
and where do I find this "IWMDMDevice3::GetProperty(g_wszWMDMFormatsSupported)"? 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 04:26:24 pm »

You "enumerate" the device???   
Are you saying that MC supposed to be able to automaticaly detect which file formats a particular device supports and prefill the Supported Types field automaticaly?

Correct.

russellnewman

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 04:49:08 pm »

Ah, then i believe that Media Center is adding several more file types that my device does not actually support.  

I have a Sansa View.  It supports the following: MPEG4, WMV, H.264, MP3, WMA, WAV, non-DRM AAC.  
Media Center show "txt;wav;mp3;avi;asf;dvr-ms;jpg;bmp;wma;wmv;mp4;aa;aac;m4a;m4b;m4p;m4v"
Why is this happening?  

This is a problem when syncing my device.  
If Media Center thinks that my device supports "m4a;m4b;m4p;m4v" it does not attempt to "convert" those specific files (to my selected format of MP3 / Target Quality: Small Portable) automaticaly prior to transfer to the device.  

One of the features of the Media Center is to recognize which file types the device supports and which types it does not and "convert" those that need converting, correct?  

There's a chance that I'm not understanding some of these formats (m4a;m4b;m4p;m4v).  If that's the case, please forgive me.  

Are (m4a;m4b;m4p;m4v) part of this group: MPEG4, WMV, H.264, MP3, WMA, WAV, non-DRM AAC?  

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 04:51:27 pm »

If the device says it supports AAC, we allow the file types: aac, m4a, m4b, m4p, and m4v.

Is this a problem in your case?

russellnewman

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 05:40:34 pm »

Yes, a few of these non-mp3 files will convert, but many will not convert automaticaly when syncing.   
The "Sync Status" just says Error. 
They do, however, convert correctly if I use MCs manual conversion tool. 
Tools / Library Tools / Convert Format
Why do they fail conversion only during the sync process?

Where can I find more detail on the Sync Status = Error; any log files that capture what caused the error? 

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 10:35:08 am »

Yes, a few of these non-mp3 files will convert, but many will not convert automaticaly when syncing.  
The "Sync Status" just says Error.  
They do, however, convert correctly if I use MCs manual conversion tool.  
Tools / Library Tools / Convert Format
Why do they fail conversion only during the sync process?

Where can I find more detail on the Sync Status = Error; any log files that capture what caused the error?  

I have exactly the same question as the poster. My AAC files are not converting on the fly. I'm on MC14.
Pages: [1]   Go Up