INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnails and Library Server connection  (Read 1341 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Thumbnails and Library Server connection
« on: July 16, 2009, 12:52:00 pm »

I have a request of improving user experience with Thumbnails and Library Server Connection. This request will help everyone irrespective of whether one chooses to play media files locally or remotely (aka tremote).

Currently, the entire Library is transferred to the client when a connection is made to Library Server. However, some (all?) Thumbnails are not transferred with this library transfer. This is probably to ensure that the library transfer does not take too long. I see that MC14 attempts to transfer thumbnails on demand for various albums when needed (e.g. when going to TheaterView). I have 2895 audio albums, 5638 image files and 1238 video files in my Library. And, the on-demand thumbnails downloading really slows the entire user interface of the client (particularly when connecting from work to home - which is what I do daily).

I would like to request that when the library is transferred at the beginning, a separate download for downloading all thumbnails should occur in the background after the main library transfer is complete and the MC14 user-interface is responsive. The separate download for all thumbnails should run in the background without prohibiting interaction with MC14. Once, all thumbnails are downloaded - the performance for TheaterView and other Thumbnails uses should be just as quick as running MC14 on the Library Server machine.

I show-cased MC14 to some colleagues at work and other friends at their home by connecting to my Library Server and launching Theater-View. However, they all thought this media software that I sing lots of praise for is just dog-gone slow. While I certainly know better, I definitely cannot demonstrate it to them otherwise :).

Thanks,
osho

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Thumbnails and Library Server connection
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 01:01:21 pm »

I would like to request that when the library is transferred at the beginning, a separate download for downloading all thumbnails should occur in the background after the main library transfer is complete and the MC14 user-interface is responsive. The separate download for all thumbnails should run in the background without prohibiting interaction with MC14. Once, all thumbnails are downloaded - the performance for TheaterView and other Thumbnails uses should be just as quick as running MC14 on the Library Server machine.

Connect.

Then select Options > Tree & View > Build missing thumbnails... and let it finish.

Next time you connect, the thumbnails will already be there.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:13:24 pm »

Connect.

Then select Options > Tree & View > Build missing thumbnails... and let it finish.

Next time you connect, the thumbnails will already be there.

I see. So, if I understand correctly, thumbnails are never transferred but generated on each client separately, right? This seems an overkill. Server already has created all the thumbnails. Why can't they just be transferred?

One more question: when I change a cover art on Library Server and connect Client later, will the client know which thumbnails have changed?

Thanks,
Osho

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 01:23:53 pm »

I see. So, if I understand correctly, thumbnails are never transferred but generated on each client separately, right? This seems an overkill. Server already has created all the thumbnails. Why can't they just be transferred?

They are transferred from the server, but only on demand.

One more question: when I change a cover art on Library Server and connect Client later, will the client know which thumbnails have changed?

Yes.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up