INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st-Time IPhone Owner - ITunes "Safe"?  (Read 2635 times)

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
1st-Time IPhone Owner - ITunes "Safe"?
« on: July 17, 2009, 11:33:32 am »

Not interested in syncing anything on/with the IPhone, just getting and managing (adding/removing) music on it.

I've been told I *have* to install/use ITunes to do that.  True?

Is it safe to install ITunes on the same machine as my main MC library?  I have the option of copying the library and music to another machine and installing Itunes there.

All these "don't install Itunes" messages here have me spooked... but I don't know that I have a choice.

Thanks in advance for any simple pointers on the best way to do this.

prod

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Play nice
Re: 1st-Time IPhone Owner - ITunes "Safe"?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 12:44:07 pm »

If you install iTunes on the same machine as MC, you lose support of iPods from within MC. MC doesn't support iTouch or iPhone anyway, only iPods.

As a precaution I would switch off in MC the option Options>General>Advanced>Features>iPhone Support. It's not clear what this option does, but it may interfere with your iPhone if you plug it in with MC loaded.

I don't believe there are any other issues than that - I have MC and iTunes installed on the same machine with no side effects, as do many others on these forums. You should obviously be careful that the two applications don't interfere with each other (i.e. turn off any options in iTunes that may move your files around).

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 11:56:07 pm »

Thanks, appreciate it.  That's a relief.

I just now realized that all my FLAC files will need to be converted, so I have to cope with that somehow.  :(

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 02:44:09 am »

I've written an app for syncing MC and iTunes libraries if you're interested - and it will sync lossless files such as flac with a converted file elsewhere on disk as well as a bunch of other stuff. It's working really well as an iPhone solution for a few of us stubborn MC users. Have a look if you like, here's the link to the forum topic;

MC & iTunes Synchronizer

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 08:51:08 am »

Wow - looks pretty cool!  I will definitely give it a whirl!

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 03:05:52 pm »

Thanks prod for your work. I've been keeping a watch on it because I can't upgrade to an iPhone until the end of August but I plan on using your tool. And thanks Crescent for the question to give me a warm feeling too.
Jeff

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 03:25:35 pm »

No problem, I've enjoyed putting it together. It's good to get the best out of both worlds, MC + iPhone =  ;D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up