INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC changing cover art ?  (Read 3027 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
MC changing cover art ?
« on: July 17, 2009, 01:23:21 pm »

It seems like MC is changing te cover art on some of my albums, is there some option to prevent this or something?

The situation is that i have cover art previously stored as cover-jpg files in the same folder as the album, MC seems to have changed som of theese files (but not all), is there an easy expination for this?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC changing cover art witout my knowlengde?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:54:40 pm »

Uncheck: Options > Library > Get cover art

This only gets art for files that don't already have art.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicHawk

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 05:58:36 pm »

Could it be this this situation:

Say that in an album, half the tracks have cover art, half do not. The tracks with art all share the same image, auto-named by MC per the album-artist.

Then a DIFFERENT image is applied to one or more of the no-art tracks. MC auto-names it, also per the album-artist, so MC gives the new image the SAME NAME as the existing image -- overwriting it.

Since the cover art image path/name is the same before and after, the tracks that showed the old image now show the new image -- even though these tracks were not explicitly touched by the user.

It doesn't matter whether the new cover art is acquired automatically or pasted-in manually. The new-image-replaces-old-image behavior is due to the images being path\file-named identically by MC per the cover art naming formula.

Of course, what MC is doing is reasonable -- exactly what it should do, per the notion that an Album is what has cover art, and per the cover art naming formula. But it can be a big surprise because altering one track can alter others. My situation is both better and worse because I store ALL my cover art files in ONE folder. This has some benefits in my situation, but increases the chance that MC will overwrite one image file with another of the same name.

What makes this image change undesirable is when the "cover" art isn't really the cover, it is some other image like the artist's photo or whatever, and the user WANTS different tracks of the "album" to have different images. I encounter this a lot with songs that appear in several albums, different compilations, etc.

My workaround, before adding/changing the image of SOME of the tracks of an Album, is to temporarily rename the Album (by adding "x-" to the front or similar) of the tracks about to receive the new image. Thus the new image file is given a slightly different name by MC. After it is saved and assigned to the tracks, I rename the Album correctly, but this doesn't affect any tracks because the image file path/name has already been assigned to each track. Of course, if in the future I want to replace the image of just ONE of the tracks, I risk having ALL the tracks with the same Album name get the new image, so I do the same trick again, temporarily renaming the Album of the tracks I want to retain, or change, but not both. The temp Album renaming doesn't give me any odd folders because I don't store songs or cover images in folders named after albums. (Not of much value in my library; I name my folders per genre and within those in folders of first letter of artist's last name.)

Other threads have discussed possible MC changes such as a track-level checkbox that tells MC to not mess with the cover art image path/filename field, coupled with the ability to manually edit this field (and/or via search/replace).
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

flac.rules

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 09:07:55 am »

Hmm, to be frank i didn't quite understand the example you mentioned. I have tried to dig som more. My system is to use a cover-jpg file in the album folder, i do not embedd the art in the tags or otherwise in the file. Just a single cover.jpg-file. I have tried making a comparison, and it seems like quite a few cover-jpgs have the same size, but the date of the file has changed. Is there any reason to belive that MC shoudl change the date of the file? Oddly enough it seems like all dates have been changed by the same amount. That is the old date of the file has been changed to a new date that is 51 days and 13  hours an 30 minutes  later on the changed file.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC changing cover art ?
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 09:41:10 am »

folder.jpg?

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 09:52:41 am »

I have tried making a comparison, and it seems like quite a few cover-jpgs have the same size, but the date of the file has changed. Is there any reason to belive that MC shoudl change the date of the file?
Perhaps if the tags of the image file were altered, MC could have re-written them to the file, thus changing the file date.
. . . the game is rigged

flac.rules

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 06:04:35 pm »

folder.jpg?

Yes, folder.jpg, sorry about the confusion.

MusicHawk

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 06:25:18 pm »

Sorry if my explanation was confusing. I don't use folder.jpg because I don't use the album-equals-folder concept. I have a zillion tracks that are not in an album, or are in several albums, etc. I put all my cover art in one folder. This gives me much more control over naming of the .jpgs, the ability to use one image for any number of tracks, to use multiple images for one album, etc. The only downside is understanding and sometimes working around MC's "help" in naming the image files.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

eso

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 08:18:56 am »

For some weeks now I sometimes encountered the case that a track from an album that had been completely tagged with cover art was missing the cover image when (or after) being played by MC. Yet I wasn't sure if that track really had that cover art set before because I mostly use radio mode where the tracks are selected randomly. But today I found out that it is really MC that is removing the cover art from the file, as it seems after or during playback, because the cover was displayed when the playback started and afterwards it was gone.

Following the hint from Matt I have now disabled "Options > Library > Get cover" and hope that the covers won't be deleted anymore. But is this function supposed to delete or modify existing cover art tags?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 08:30:29 am »

For some weeks now I sometimes encountered the case that a track from an album that had been completely tagged with cover art was missing the cover image when (or after) being played by MC. Yet I wasn't sure if that track really had that cover art set before because I mostly use radio mode where the tracks are selected randomly. But today I found out that it is really MC that is removing the cover art from the file, as it seems after or during playback, because the cover was displayed when the playback started and afterwards it was gone.

Following the hint from Matt I have now disabled "Options > Library > Get cover" and hope that the covers won't be deleted anymore. But is this function supposed to delete or modify existing cover art tags?
MC won't remove cover art unless you tell it to.  Get cover art gets, but does not remove or automatically replace.

Older versions of Windows Media Player used to replace cover art.

Any plug-ins?

eso

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 10:28:47 am »

Any plug-ins?

The only plug-in I'm using is DFX but I don't think that it's modifying the tags. I just encountered another case, so it seems that it hasn't been fixed by disabling the get cover option.

eso

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 12:03:36 pm »

Yes, MC is definitely removing cover art from my files sometimes, at least in Radio mode. As I could just observe it happens at the end or directly after the playback of a file. During playback MC still displays the cover art from the tag. Then after the playback of a new file starts the cover art in the playlist changes to the default "no cover" note icon. I think the problem started to occur with one of the builds within the last weeks.

eso

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 10:35:15 am »

The problem seems to be caused by the radio mode. Today I have played files from a fixed playlist and so I far have not encountered a single loss of cover art in 40 files. This morning I had used radio mode only for an hour or so and had two or three files with removed cover art.

eso

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 07:28:15 am »

Will the Radio mode problem be fixed? Or should I open a new thread for this bug?
Pages: [1]   Go Up