INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great progress in MC14 development!  (Read 5751 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Great progress in MC14 development!
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:31:51 pm »

My MC complaints are vanishing one by one, rapidly! You guys are doing a terrific job.

The Theater View improvements, combined with the sidecar file stuff is awesome. I'm using the PVDimport plug-in, which I know JRiver didn't make, but you had the foresight to have a plug-in compatible architecture. Now I couldn't care less about other flashy front-ends, although I did like the changable background image in Theater View when it was available - is that going to be developed?

The idea of the tremote and the MC remote are also looking really promising, although I'm sure they'll need a lot of refining.

I'm hoping that the quick transition from MC12 to MC14 will be seen more favourably with new features like these in the pipeline.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
Re: Great progress in MC14 development!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 11:09:41 pm »

...although I did like the changable background image in Theater View when it was available - is that going to be developed?

Make a playlist and call it "Theater View Background"

Any images you put in there will be used as the theater view background instead of the giant rotating MC logo :)

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 10:04:29 am »

What happens when we get to MC25?

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 11:31:17 am »

What happens when we get to MC25?

What happens when we get to WMP 24?
Or iTunes 17, running OSX 10.16?

In the year 2020?

By that time cpu cycles, bandwidth and storage would hopefully be so cheap there won't be ant MC 25. Its all accessed though the browser. Except for some paranoid hardcore conspiracy theorists that insist on keeping everything on their 100tb ssd with 1024 bit AES2 encryption, running their computer on solar power 100% off the grid, any grid!

I think we should enjoy MC14 for the time being....

benn600

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:53:44 am »

I think we should enjoy MC14 for the time being....

I'm lovin' it!

please don't sue me.

Daydream

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 04:54:54 pm »

By ver. 25, MC will be a holographic experience, backed by quantum computing power. Having gained world domination on Earth, JRiver will be doing battle with the Consortium of Outer Colonies to spread their hyper-media solution.

keeping everything on their 100tb ssd with 1024 bit AES2 encryption

You're not too far off the mark there. All my drives are currently Truecrypted. :)

benn600

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 06:09:07 pm »

I've considered truecrypt but what about in the worst case?  How do you keep the keys safely accessible without being accessible to an unauthorized person?  What if you crazily forgot them?  Everything's gone!

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 06:38:43 pm »

I have to say MC14 is looking particularilly well baked already  ;)

benn600

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 06:46:58 pm »

I have had the same feeling lately.  I don't know what it is but my best guess is that things are starting to integrate where it's been needed and theater view, which I feel is MC's most compelling extension, has made leaps and bounds recently.

One thing that disappointed me lately was seeing iTunes with its DJ feature and how with a checkbox, iPhone owners can vote for songs and choose them!  Imagine that!  Of course MC has a web interface and if it was revamped greatly (I'd like that) it could allow similar functionality.

Daydream

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 06:53:59 pm »

I've considered truecrypt but what about in the worst case?  How do you keep the keys safely accessible without being accessible to an unauthorized person?  What if you crazily forgot them?  Everything's gone!

Depends. If I'm using a password I'll make a sequence that only makes sense to me, something with different connection to things, events, etc around me so I'll always have something to remember it by, even if the actual passphrase has nothing intelligible in any language. Then one can apply various scrambling - uppercase, lowercase, with a certain frequency, while replacing some letters with their close resembling numerals (i - 1, o - 0, etc). After using it for awhile you remember it well. And it case you forget it your brain has enough clues to reconstruct it.

Sure you can use keyfiles (and back 'em up), hidden volumes and combinations of all these to make everything even more complex.

The problem with Trucrypt is actually RAID. If you create volumes you have to mount them, hence many letters. Plus you can't create a super-sized volume for many reasons, including the adverse probability that past a certain size, considering that everything is encrypted with the same key, the whole construct becomes too weak, mathematically exposed to brute force and the likes (as far as I understand the theory).

On the funny side, if we're all afraid to lose passwords we wouldn't encrypt anything :).

Daydream

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 07:08:20 pm »

and theater view, which I feel is MC's most compelling extension, has made leaps and bounds recently.

Err, sorry. Leaps and bounds of things that have been pounded at as long overdue on I don't know how many threads? Show me something new in theater view that nobody has it, or that theater view does it better.

benn600

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 07:17:20 pm »

Err, sorry. Leaps and bounds of things that have been pounded at as long overdue on I don't know how many threads? Show me something new in theater view that nobody has it, or that theater view does it better.

So JRiver has developed a few traits of Apple.  They give you a nice product but add the really important stuff later.  Ultimately, it is still the best and most loved by many people.  Even when users of it are scolded by the 1% of the world who say "but it doesn't have an FM radio."  (iPod vs. everything else) -- not that usage is comparable by any means --  For my needs, MC is absolutely the best piece of software I own and I sincerely doubt anything else will be stealing that title for some time.  I don't mind not getting the whole cake up front.  Seeing new additions every few weeks gives me time to integrate the additional features right.  Go ahead and PM me a list of alternatives and I'll explain why they are garbage.  It took me 3 years of serious searching to find MC.  Nothing else was worth the trouble beyond iTunes or WMP.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 03:43:46 pm »

I think there's a lot to MC that nobody else has or that nobody does as well as. Theater View isn't really one of them, but I'm very enthusiastic about MC now because of the unique features it has, as well as having a Theater View that is in the same ball park as some of the best 10-ft media software. For a while I was considering doing all my tagging and organisation in MC and using another for front-end and playing back. Now I think Theater View has taken on board enough of the requested features so I do not have to do this. Makes my life simpler for sure.

benn600

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 03:55:45 pm »

I still consider MC the best because of its development model which is uncanny.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 03:57:27 pm »

Our development model is strange and mysteriously unsettling?!?!?

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 04:48:20 pm »

I would describe it more as unusual in that so many developers etc. interface with us end users- with many of our requests and suggestions being incorporated in the software, sometimes even quickly.

This, to me, is refreshing more than strange and mysteriously unsettling!

flac.rules

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 05:41:20 pm »

Yeah, i agree, having developers that in a large degree listens to their user-base is very nice (although not all my more or less well thought out suggestions are followed :))

MrHaugen

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 06:12:08 pm »

I've tried that. Forgot the passord. Stupid me! Only a small 500 GB disk to test with, but still not a good experience. At least it was not my music collection. Only movies and some games. It still hurts though.
Remember to use a strong password that you'll never forget, and to use a few files you never forget the directories of, and wich files and wich order. I've kept mine in a directory hidden far down the ladder, wich I will allways remember. I hope. Just keep the combination in a bank box in a different country just to be sure; if you'd ever encrypt that whole 28 TB array of yours :D
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 06:18:18 pm »

I would describe it more as unusual in that so many developers etc. interface with us end users- with many of our requests and suggestions being incorporated in the software, sometimes even quickly.

This, to me, is refreshing more than strange and mysteriously unsettling!
Thank you!  And to others who have posted.

Daydream

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 06:29:27 pm »

as well as having a Theater View that is in the same ball park as some of the best 10-ft media software. For a while I was considering doing all my tagging and organisation in MC and using another for front-end and playing back. Now I think Theater View has taken on board enough of the requested features so I do not have to do this. Makes my life simpler for sure.

That is indeed a much better description of the current status. I agree.
And just to clarify a bit my point - if I often come off as negative with my comments it's not because I think there is something wrong with a feature, it's because I'd like to see more features.
My problem with Theater View is pretty simple. In the MC development timeline Theater View is a rather new addition. However, if for the entire database concept and for the audio frontend/backend there was tremendous amount of work that brought MC to a point today where is uber-flexible and can accommodate for any kind of desires one can have (and more features keep on coming) - when it comes to Theater view and to some degree to the entire video segment, I see something else. I'm worried that the flexibility existing in other segments of the application will not be applied here. Ultimately it's not about this or that feature, it's about the concept that, honestly I don't know where it can go.

Our development model is strange and mysteriously unsettling?!?!?

Sometimes is mysterious :)

benn600

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 08:42:13 am »

I've tried that. Forgot the passord. Stupid me! Only a small 500 GB disk to test with, but still not a good experience. At least it was not my music collection. Only movies and some games. It still hurts though.
Remember to use a strong password that you'll never forget, and to use a few files you never forget the directories of, and wich files and wich order. I've kept mine in a directory hidden far down the ladder, wich I will allways remember. I hope. Just keep the combination in a bank box in a different country just to be sure; if you'd ever encrypt that whole 28 TB array of yours

31.5TB!  oh, you're going on the 1024 calculation, lol.

That would be the day.  I'm sure me losing the entire array due to forgetting the encryption key would prompt a post here.  You thought three failing hard drives would never happen...how about memory loss?

Daydream

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 03:22:35 pm »

Use Keypass.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 07:42:58 pm »

if we are just talking about theaterview, then yes it has quite a ways to go, mostly in terms of polish which means it pretty much does everything i want it to do at the moment, but can be frustrating at times due to bugs, still somewhat unintuitive behavior, overall speed, and lack of visual polish.

im sure that will happen eventually as jim mentioned overall polish as a goal of MC14!
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Daydream

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 08:09:26 pm »

overall polish as a goal of MC14!

This is what gets to me every time. It's a false perception. Overall polish won't do. A furious infusion of several degrees of magnitude in developing might catch up with the trend in the world.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 11:33:35 pm »

This is what gets to me every time. It's a false perception. Overall polish won't do. A furious infusion of several degrees of magnitude in developing might catch up with the trend in the world.
?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Daydream

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 01:01:03 am »

?
Do you have much experience with Theater View-like interfaces, or with HTPC frontends at large?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 07:09:42 am »

Do you have much experience with Theater View-like interfaces, or with HTPC frontends at large?
Why don't you start a new thread that describes what you want.

Locking this one now.  Thanks for all the nice comments.
Pages: [1]   Go Up