INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: some MC14 rated mp3 files not readable by Nokia E71  (Read 2155 times)

robydago

• Citizen of the Universe
some MC14 rated mp3 files not readable by Nokia E71
« on: July 19, 2009, 04:30:36 pm »

Hi,
I don't know why, but some MP3 files rated in MC14 when copied to my nokia E71 are not playable by the embedded music player; actually the music player hangs while trying to load the files.

After some tries at finding the cause, it seems to me that the cause is the rating tag,  because if I just remove the rating tag in MC14 before transferring the files to the nokia phone, the files are then playable by the nokia embedded player.

Don't know if anything else in the tags can cause the E71 player to hang, but I just tested two files and for both of them just removing the rating tag in MC14 made the files playable on the Nokia device.

Note that almost all files I transfer to my Nokia phone are rate tagged, so I really don't get why most of them are playable while only some make the embedded player hangs.

Anyone any idea?

robydago

Re: some MC14 rated mp3 files not readable by Nokia E71
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 01:24:33 am »

Further results of my tests.

Files that make the nokia e71 embedded player hangs:
- their ratings are not visible in windows vista explorer (i.e. explorer thinks the files have an empty rate tag)
- removing the rating in MC14 makes the files playable by the nokia player
- resetting the rating in MC14 does NOT make the files playable by the nokia player
- setting the rating using windows explorer makes the files playable by the nokia player

Could it be that those files have problems in their MP3 tags headers and that setting the rating in windows explorer fixes the problem because windows rewrites a properly formatted mp3 tags header?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 07:23:33 am »

I don't have a Nokia e71 and I don't know what could cause the problem. I am just guessing, but it could be related to the tag format differences (ID3 v2.3 vs v2.4). Though, it is odd that the embedded player program refuses to play the files if only the tags are more or less not recognized. BTW, does the Nokia player program actually support reading and writing rating tags?

It might help if you could provide two sample files (a file that shows the ratings in Windows Vista Explorer and a file that does not do that.)

Perhaps you could upload the files somewhere and send the link (or links) by PM. (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?action=pm)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

robydago

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 06:29:10 pm »

Alex,
it turned out I had (have) many files with corrupted tags.

I'm doing this to fix the my problems for good:
- I select all same rating files I wanna transfer to my Nokia Phone and with windows vista explorer I retag them with the same rating value thay already have in MC14
- For some (too many!) files windows returns an error complaining that is not able to tag the files (!), so, only on these untaggable by windows files, I do the following:
     - I remove all tags on them using the free MP3 Repair tool
     - To recover the lost tag data, I retag them using MC14 update tags from library command
     - I rerate them using windows explorer (this time it works)

So far I've done these steps on all two and three star songs I wanted to sync with my Nokia E71 and the Nokia Phone is now able to add them to its music library!
I still have to fix my four and five star songs, but I guess that the same procedure will work on them as well.

Does anyone know a better tag remover (maybe a fixer?) than MP3 Repair tool by aspect-one.com?

robydago

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 06:38:31 pm »

BTW, does the Nokia player program actually support reading and writing rating tags?

I guess not, in the player there's no trace of any option to show or set the rating.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 07:26:10 pm »

Does anyone know a better tag remover (maybe a fixer?) than MP3 Repair tool by aspect-one.com?

MC14?

Select the files > right-click > Library Tools > Remove Tags
You can contínue with "Update Tags (from library)" while the files are still selected.

The tool removes only the physical file tags without touching any library data. It works fine with normal files, but I don't know if the tag corruption you mentioned can affect it.

If the remove/update procedure works also the ratings should show up in Vista because the default MP3 tag format in MC is ID3v2.3 and MC is supposed to use the ID3v2.3 POPM aka Popularimeter tag frame similarly like WMP 11 does.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

robydago

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 04:43:56 am »

MC14?

Select the files > right-click > Library Tools > Remove Tags
You can contínue with "Update Tags (from library)" while the files are still selected.

Didn't know that!
I tried it on all 4 and 5 star files and now windows explorer is not complaining anymore about not being able to tag any files. Since I didn't try it on the same files I had to use MP3 Repair tool on and also this time I used MC14 before even trying to rerate files in windows explorer, I'm not 100% sure, but it's very unlikely that only 2 and 3 star files had corrupted tags and that all 4 and 5 star files were perfect.

Anyway, still if I don't rerate some files before transferring them to the Nokia phone, the phone music playes hangs.

To pinpoint the problem I did this on one file:

- removed and reapplied tags to file in MC14
- transferred file to Nokia phone and its music player hangs
- rerated file in windows explorer (before rerating, windows explorer sees the file as not rated)
- transferred file to Nokia phone and its music player can play it
- removed and reapplied tags to file in MC14
- checked what rating windows explorer sees in the file: unrated
- transferred file to Nokia phone and its music player hangs

?? any idea??

Pages: [1]   Go Up