INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protect network files  (Read 899 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Protect network files
« on: July 23, 2009, 10:16:37 am »

I have protect network files turned on for auto-import.  However, this means that if I rename an album due to a correction, auto import will not fix this.  Both copies will remain in the library.

Can this feature check to see if the parent drive is functioning?  If the drive is functioning and available, then the files should be removed.  It seems like protect network files basically breaks this feature completely.

In the past I just had the non protect network files mode and this seemed to function properly.  However, I can't remember what happened if the drive was offline.  That is the main concern: that if the server gets turned off, all auto import files would get removed.

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re: Protect network files
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 11:30:55 am »

Yes, I have found I need to ocaisionally change this setting and do an unprotected import in order to do a library clean-up. I then resort to the 'protect network files' setting for regular
use until a cleanup is again needed.
Of course I always do this after having done a library backup and checking to insure my network drives are online and accessible.

I think that if the network drives/shared folders are checked to be online and availible then it should be safe for MC should remove the missing files as Benn suggests. In other words it should function as a network drive/shared folder safety, not a per-file safety.
. . . the game is rigged
Pages: [1]   Go Up