INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shortcuts.keywords,ratings question  (Read 1834 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
shortcuts.keywords,ratings question
« on: July 24, 2009, 03:02:14 pm »

ive just started taggin my photos, and after making keywords, places people, when i go upto media mode button click on any keyword i have made, the pics are there works great, but i have noticed underneath each and everyone it says unassigned?  ive chose to show all tags so i could find what was unassigned but nothing says unassigned there.. anyone know what the unassigned is for all my keywords?

TY

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: shortcuts.keywords,ratings question
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 09:32:48 pm »

If I understand what you are saying, it's the 'Name' of the pictures that is listing "Unassigned". MC doesn't seem to name files when it imports them directly from a camera.

Right click on your images view, select 'Customize View'. Under Options->Text change [Name] to [People] [Places] [Keywords] or whatever combination there of you desire. This will display said information under each file.

Hope this helps,
JB

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 09:42:45 pm »

ty for tip. i played with that and that actually changes it in the view... im tallking on left hand sise of jriver when you choose media mode images, then it opens up and then when i click on shortcuts, keywords, and Ratings, then when i choose any keywod, short cut (example 2007, or friends, or family etc...), it shows unassigned under it. every one, and i cant seem to figure out what the unassigned is for?

ty for your help. and reply

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 10:05:28 am »

Can you select the "Unassigned"? If so, does doing so make its purpose any more clear?
I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you mean. A screen shot might be worth a thousand words in this case. Either that or you need somebody with a bit more expertise than me :P. -JB

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 12:55:59 pm »

ok i've opened some of the keywords up so you can see the whole tree. just a sidenote, i know it's not rating because i've tested rating by adding a rating to photo year and it still says unassigned, so it must somethign else that is causing them all to say unassigned.

TY

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 06:33:35 pm »

The tree shows a hierarchical representation of whatever categories you have defined. It's difficult to tell from your screenshot, but that seems to be Shortcuts (I don't know what your using that for), Keywords and Rating. So if you select any particular keyword in the tree, it expands to show a summary of the next level of category—Rating. It appears you have very few ratings set, so in most cases all you see is "Unassigned." That may seem pointless in this case, but if you had further categories, then the Unassigned branch would expand to show those values. In other words, it's hierarchical, but you don't have to have values set for all categories.

I'm going to assume you haven't yet settled on an organizational scheme for your photos. This is so person and MC is so flexible, I can only outline what I have done for my own. I use the categories Album, Places, People and Keywords.

• I use Album just to organized them into chronological groups—by year, maybe by month, with a few "special" groups as needed. So they might be something like 2009, 2009-07 Vacation, 2009-06 (just because I took a lot of photos in June), 2008-12 Xmas, etc.

• The remaining categories all use nesting. For example...

• Location is generally geographic; I don't travel a lot, so rather than the more obvious Country\State\City sort of scheme, mine is somewhat more specific, including things like Parks\[park name], Homes\[person's name], etc.

• People: Family\[family name]\[name], Friends\[name], Other\[name], etc.

• Keywords are anything else I might want to tag a photo with. Using a logical nesting scheme, they can include a wide variety of different values without becoming confusing. For example, one branch of mine is Animal\[type]\[name]—which I can use to quickly find all pictures of "whales," "cats" or just my cat. I also use it to tag some photos according to photographic style, technique, scene, etc.

So, back to understanding the tree view. If I wanted to view photos of cats using the tree, I would select All Albums\All Places\All People\Animals\Cats. Note "All" includes "Unassigned." If I wanted only photos of cats with no people in them, I would select All Albums\All Places\Unassigned\Animals\Cats.

Using the tree for this sort of thing is fine for occasional use—but it only allows you to select one value in one category at a time. Using a Panes and Thumbnails view is much more powerful. You can select any number of values in multiple categories, and change them randomly (i.e., just select any values in any panes, and see the results as you do so). I also find pane tagging much more convenient and powerful than using the tagging action window.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 06:58:56 pm »

Actually i just stumbled upon the tagging pane:) Loving it!

ty for the informative reply... it's starting to come together nicelly :) in fact gf just asked to see the cool DUB car we seen at minneapolis, but i havent gotten to that one yet but the rest that were tagged car show\minneapolis\trips popped up :)

This Will Be SWEEET Once i'm done. and Then from that day forth. i will TAG WHEN I IMPORT! instead of 6 yrs later!

TY Again
Pages: [1]   Go Up