INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: upnp Devices  (Read 1357 times)

jonkjon

• Recent member
upnp Devices
« on: September 14, 2009, 05:01:44 pm »

I am wanting to stream music from my server at the rear of my home to my onkyo receiver in another location. I am too lazy to run more wires under my house and would like to consider using an upnp device on my wired network (wired network is present near my receiver) with mc14 and use rivermote to control playlists etc,. Which upnp devices would you recommend to me? I wouldn't mind considering one that could also stream hd video but it's not that important to me at this point.
Thanks for all of your suggestions/help with this.

p.s. I have read around the forums using search etc,. but am still curious.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: upnp Devices
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 07:18:23 pm »

Using Rivermote and UPnP may be different subjects.

UPnP has been a loose standard from our point of view.

I would investigate Philips devices.  Also d-link.  But be prepared to return what you buy.

I've tried a dozen devices at home.  Most of them worked.  None of them was trouble free.  I ended up using a PC again.

Good luck.

jonkjon

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:03:44 am »

So an inexpensive pc would probably be the better way to go if i wanted to include video playback. If i just want to play music, then all I need is wiring (i have multiple sound sources on my MC pc) from my MC14 pc to my receiver?

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 10:16:01 am »

I use Roku Soundbridges for this. I have had these for about four years and am always on the lookout for something better, but have yet to find it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 10:16:08 am »

It's a big subject and I can't cover it all.

I may have misunderstood what you said the first time.  It sounds like you're considering a UPnP device vs. running audio cables from your PC to your receiver.  Either may work for you.

As I said, I've tried a lot of solutions, and the one I came back to was a PC connected to my receiver and TV.

These articles on our wiki will provide more possibilities:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Servers
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Remotes

jonkjon

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 01:55:11 pm »

Thanks for all the info. The Roku Soundbridge looks nice but if i am thinking correctly, that doesn't really directly interface with MC14 or does it? I assume that it has it's own remote? For now, i think that i will use some audio cables that i have to run from an external sound card on my pc to my receiver. That will give me 3 audio zones:

1:Computer Room
2:Receiver Room (Great Room) via external sound card to receiver
3:Deck Outside (Zone provided by my receiver)

...and control it all with Rivermote. Rivermote combined with MC14 is really the deal maker for me in all of this as it provides a nice visual remote interface showing album art, tag information and providing volume and zone control in a compact form factor on my iPod Touch. much much cheaper than a Sonos system.....

If i want to add the video capabilities of MC14, then i'll add another pc in the Great Room.

Thanks again for all the helpful information.
Pages: [1]   Go Up