INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expand to... Expression  (Read 1739 times)

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Expand to... Expression
« on: July 29, 2009, 02:02:37 am »

We can expand the results of a rule to include all files belonging to an album. This can be achieved by appending ~a to the end of an expression. So if the rule only matches one or two tracks in an album, all tracks in the album will still be displayed. This can be useful for photos as well, as I can effectively display all albums that I am in, even if I'm not in all the photos shown.

My question, is it possible to apply the "Expand to full..." modification to other fields?

I'm trying to create a view that will display all media from a movie (trailers, soundtracks, art) but ONLY for movies I have an actual video file for.

I store movie titles in the field [Movie]
Actual movie video files are tagged with [Type]=Film

So I created a view with [Type]=Film as the rule, which displays all my movie video files. But then I couldn't find a way to expand the results out to include all files belonging to each [Movie] that matched the original search rule. The reason I'd like to do this is because I'm working on a view that would allow me to view trailers and other accompanying media for movies in theater view :)

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Expand to... Expression
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 03:19:00 am »

How about going into "Customise view" for that [type]=film view, expand the "advanced" node on the right, and take the tick out of "use parent scheme rules...", then, go into "set rules for file display" and build from scratch. Imagine you're writing a rule for a new smartlist!

-marko

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 04:00:16 am »

Thanks Marko, although I might have misunderstood... there IS no parent view scheme for this view. Also, if there were and I unselected "use parent scheme rules", it would still just display my video files, and not the accompanying files I was hoping to display also. Conversely, if I wiped the [Type]=Film requirement and just used a isempty function for [Movie], this would display all of my files (across all media groups) which appeared in a movie, and not just the ones I have video files for.

That sounds really complicated - I probably need to explain my setup a little bit more...

• Any file in my library can be tagged with a [Movie] entry (ie the title of the film), regardless of whether it is a video, soundtrack, sheet music etc. For example, the Braveheart soundtrack will be tagged as [Movie]=Braveheart   even though [Type]=Music  and not "Film"
  • The actual video file for bravheart will be tagged as [Movie]=Braveheart  and  [Type]=Film

So both the Movie and the accompanying files share the same [Movie] field but not the same [Type] field (as they are different "types" of media belonging to the same "movie")
I have a lot of soundtracks, trailers, etc that I don't have the actual movie file for, naturally, so I only want the list to display media for movies I actually have.

So, what I'd like to be able to do with this:
1. Have MC limit the file list to files identified as [Type]=Film
2. Expand the results to also include files of any type that match [Movie] entries identified in step 1

The program is capable of this intelligent behaviour with albums - what I was hoping was for a way to do it with other fields...
An example of usage with albums: with photos, I can do a search for [People]=Fred and then modify the result with ~a
The resultant list will display files from all albums that have [People]=Fred appearing anywhere in the album (ie not just the photos with Fred).

Similarly, I want to see all files from all movies that have [Type]=Film (ie not just the films themselves)

I hope that was clear... it always gets horribly confusing explaining expressions!

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 06:11:11 am »

If ~a only expands [Album], why not use [Album] in place of [Movie]—at least for the purpose of grouping your media?

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 07:50:24 am »

An excellent suggestion! But for the rub that soundtracks naturally already have the album field filled in...

I did consider it, but music views would then be a bit unworkable :P

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 02:50:40 pm »

That occurred to me, but I figured your could name your Braveheart soundtrack album "Braveheart," no matter what it's actual name is. But I suppose it's more complicated than that—like the relevant tracks coming from a compilation album, or the albums of the original artists. You could deal with that by making duplicates of the media and tagging those with the "movie album." That would be a demonstration of your ability to truly let go of the "r" word! ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up