INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to merge wav files and libraries from multiple PCs  (Read 1504 times)

ripped

How to merge wav files and libraries from multiple PCs
« on: July 15, 2009, 01:30:38 am »

I hape ripped hundreds of CDs onto 3 separate PCs using Media Centre 13. I now wish to move all these files to another computer so that there is just one library. The original 3 PCs will no longer require access to this. I have ripped to wav so I really need a way to preserve the library data - track no., etc. - without having to recreate this all again. I can't seem to find a simple way to do this (ie. merge the library data). Can anyone help? Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to merge wav files and libraries from multiple PCs
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 07:48:29 am »

Wav files aren't the best.  Any lossless format, like APE or FLAC would be better, since they support internal tags.

Conversion to any lossless format would be the first step to take.  Check MC's options to store cover art internally.

Test a few files before you do very many.

ripped

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 07:31:20 pm »

Thanks Jim. I was really trying to avoid that, though. I was hoping that since a library can be exported to xml, where I can edit it, perhaps there's some way of importing an xml file also. Or really any way to consolidate the library files without having to covert/re-rip the media files.

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 05:00:18 am »

I hape ripped hundreds of CDs onto 3 separate PCs using Media Centre 13. I now wish to move all these files to another computer so that there is just one library. The original 3 PCs will no longer require access to this. I have ripped to wav so I really need a way to preserve the library data - track no., etc. - without having to recreate this all again. I can't seem to find a simple way to do this (ie. merge the library data). Can anyone help? Thanks!

it's pretty simple to merge

export your "old" library(s) to .mpl (file, export playlist -> wavlibrary.mpl)
import the file to the "new" library (file , import playlist -> wavlibrary.mpl)

to have in mind/todo

-backup first
-check with a few file so you now what is happening
-if you have created custom fields in the old library, you have to create them in the new library
-if the mpl file with all the data is very big you can run into RAM trouble, make multiple .mpl files
-be sure your filepaths are valid
MT5FR

ripped

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 08:34:03 pm »

Thanks Lasse_Lus. That did exactly what I needed. Much appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up