INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC14 and windows vista don't agree on stars rating  (Read 1229 times)

robydago

• Citizen of the Universe
MC14 and windows vista don't agree on stars rating
« on: July 29, 2009, 10:46:56 am »

While working on solving a problem I have with my nokia phone (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52986.0),
I discovered that MC14 (0.34) and Windows vista explorer (ultimate 64 bit sp1) don't agree on the format of 1 and 2 star ratings.

I did this as a test (red lines are the cases when MC and vista don't agree):

In MC14
- ripped a track from an audio cd to an mp3 file
- rated the mp3 file as 1 star <--- vista explorer sees the same file rated as 2 stars
- rerated the same file as 2 stars  <--- vista explorer sees the same file rated as 3 stars

- rerated the same file as 3 stars <--- vista explorer sees the same file rated as 3 stars
- rerated the same file as 4 stars <--- vista explorer sees the same file rated as 4 stars
- rerated the same file as 5 stars <--- vista explorer sees the same file rated as 5 stars

In Vista explorer
- rerated the same file as 1 star <--- MC14 sees the same file rated as 1 star
- rerated the same file as 2 stars <--- MC14 sees the same file rated as 1 stars
- rerated the same file as 3 stars <--- MC14 sees the same file rated as 3 stars
- rerated the same file as 4 stars <--- MC14 sees the same file rated as 4 stars
- rerated the same file as 5 stars <--- MC14 sees the same file rated as 5 stars

Is this a bug or what?
Note that the test was done on an mp3 just ripped in MC14.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC14 and windows vista don't agree on stars rating
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 11:08:49 am »

Agreed, I see this discrepancy too (Win7)

-Leezer-

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 01:01:44 pm »

In a coming build of Media Center 14:
Changed: Revised MP3 ID3v2 rating tag writing conversion formula to better match Windows.

We were leaving room for '0' stars as a full width item, so effectively 0-5 became 0-255.  Now we'll keep zero as zero, but make 1-5 become 1-255.  Our rounding is a little better (correct), so the conversion won't exactly match Windows.

Thanks for letting us know.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Shiraz

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 03:47:15 pm »

(Oh, so you *are* a developer Matt? :) )

Just wondering if this means that ratings will now sync with my Windows Mobile Pocket Player (from Conduits), which is designed to sync ratings with Windows Media Center. Any ideas?

Cheers

Pages: [1]   Go Up