INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import + Analyze Audio possible bug  (Read 3607 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
Import + Analyze Audio possible bug
« on: July 29, 2009, 05:22:21 pm »

Using 13.0.172, I'm importing a bunch of .wav files (ripped from vinyl).

I set MC's Import action to Analyze Audio at the same time. It only analyzes maybe 1/3 of the tracks.

This is repeatable. I've imported dozens of vinyl albums, hundreds of tracks. Sometimes I import one album, 10 to 12 tracks. Sometimes I import 20 or 30 or 40 tracks as a batch. But each time, while MC imports all the tracks, only some of the tracks get analyzed.

Analyze is the the only Import option selected. I'm not looking up cover art or building thumbnails.

There are no differences in the tracks. All are newly-created .wav files. All are in exactly the same folder where I put new tracks to import. Note that the import source folder is on another PC, shared on my LAN; the import destination folder is on the PC that is running MC. 

Each time I just select all tracks in the folder and tell MC to Import, which it does, so why does the Audio Analyze process skip many (usually most) of the tracks? My guess is that once it stops importing, it stops analyzing too, even if that process has not finished. Or maybe there's a problem with import and analyze BOTH updating the database at the same time? I can't quite pin it down.

Of course, I can run Analyze Audio manually on the omitted tracks, and this always process just fine. So it's not a show-stopper. But it sure seems to be a bug.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Import + Analyze Audio possible bug
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 06:00:32 pm »

How are you doing the import (i.e. from Explorer right-click, from My Computer in Media Center, from the Import tool, etc.)?

Analyzing audio is only an auto-import action.  If you do a manual import (like from Explorer), you'll have to manually run auto-import (or wait for it to run) for it to do analysis.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicHawk

Re: Import + Analyze Audio possible bug
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 07:00:18 pm »

The only thing I do externally is copy the new .wav files into the folder that is my Auto Import source. Then I enter MC and do everything else.

I view/manage the steps via multiple tabs: 1. Auto Import source folder, 2. File Conversion destination folder, 3. Library folder where the final files will reside (typically an Artist folder because I'm usually adding to an artist's tracks).

I've done the process two ways. The steps that I just used, where Analyze Audio ran only partially, were:

1. Externally, put the tracks in the folder where MC will Auto Import.

2. Via MC's File Location, view the Auto Import folder. Select all the .mp3 files and manually run Auto Import. (I suppose I could wait for it to do its thing automatically, but I have no sense of when that might be.) This is when Analyze Audio happens, but it omits some files.

3. Via MC's File Location, select all tracks and Convert from .wav to .mp3. The original .wav files stay where they were, while MC creates the new .mp3 files in a different folder.

4. Switch to the folder with the new .mp3 files, run Analyze Audio again to finish the rest of the tracks, then continue with tagging, etc.

OR, since I'm not getting (or understanding) the benefit of Auto Import, I now tend to do it this way:

1. Externally, put the tracks in the folder where MC will Auto Import, simply because it's the folder where I move new .wav files into the library, "auto" or not. But don't run Auto Import manually (it doesn't seem to run automatically, at least not promptly).

2. Via MC's File Location, go to that folder. Select all tracks and Convert from .wav to .mp3 (VBR Extreme). The original .wav files stay where they were, while MC creates the new .mp3 files in a different folder. Option "Leave original file, add destination file to library" is selected, so this step adds the files to the database.

3. Via MC's File Location, go the folder with the new .mp3s.

4. Select all the .mp3 files and manually run Analyze Audio. It works on all selected files. Does it matter that in this process Analyze is done to the .mp3 files not the .wav files? Is there possibly enough difference to matter to ReplayGain?

Maybe I'm misusing Auto Import, since I don't see it do anything "auto" and I'm not clear on why I'd ever want it to. Even if MC automatically did the one step of adding new files to the database, I always have several more manual steps, and via one step or another the files I'm working with get added to the database. Maybe Auto Import is for a different purpose?

BTW, my wish list is for a one-click process to convert/analyze/import a set of new files. But it's fine as-is, just the mystery behavior of Auto Import + Analyze Audio.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up