INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tagging question before i make a HUGE NO NO...  (Read 1363 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
tagging question before i make a HUGE NO NO...
« on: July 30, 2009, 12:30:22 am »

have tagged all my music\vids and working on pics as we speak.

question being i've tagged all me media files, and when i goto another pc that ha simported the same media files.. shouldnt those keywords\genres show up for those files tagged? or does one have to tag them to there liking from there own library?

reason i ask is if not i dont want others users on other pc's in the house tagging over all my tags!! and screwing up all my work.

what caught my eye was the fact i know all music videos were tagged, and after importing into bro's lappy i was going to make smart list for him but noticed there were no keywords or genres etc, showing up. is thi smaybe due being on the network? or are the files tags maybe not saved?

Ty in advance and for being  a life saver!

Vocalpoint

Re: tagging question before i make a HUGE NO NO...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 09:21:18 am »

I've tagged all me media files, and when i goto another pc that ha simported the same media files.. shouldnt those keywords\genres show up for those files tagged? or does one have to tag them to there liking from there own library?

If you want everyone to see your work exactly as you see it on your PC - you need to move ALL the library files around to ALL the PC's to see ALL your efforts. Especially if you will be building standard Smartlists etc.

MusicHawk

Re: tagging question before i make a HUGE NO NO...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 10:45:55 am »

Adding to Vocalpoints good response, to update all your PCs you can copy over all the media files, all the library files including custom fields, custom views -- almost everything so the MC experience on each PC is almost the same.

You might consider setting your own library location rather than using MC's default. This can make it easier to find all the library files and copy them to other PCs, and especially to make sure all the files are in an identical location (path/folder) on each PC.

A common technique is to assign the MC library location as drive M:. You can do this even if it is a path/folder, not a separate drive, in various ways such as Windows ancient SUBST command.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/subst.mspx?mfr=true

But for max performance (especially if the library is large/growing) consider a separate physical drive called M:. This is how I do it. My desktop has a second internal drive devoted to my MC library. On my laptop, drive M: is an external USB drive.

Also, it's a lot easier and safer to manage a library by designating one PC as the MASTER. Do all your tagging and other work on this PC, then propagate the changed files to all the other PCs. I do this via a backup program (SyncBack SE) since it is smart about determining which files to copy. If you allow changes on multiple PCs, only some changes will survive, so that's not advisable.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up