INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing Multiple Libraries to iPod  (Read 3974 times)

jjooste

• Recent member
Syncing Multiple Libraries to iPod
« on: August 03, 2009, 03:32:57 am »

Q1:  Is it possible to sync multiple libraries to an iPod?

Q2:  Is it possible to create a playlist containing music from multiple libraries?

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Syncing Multiple Libraries to iPod
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:11:23 pm »

I haven't tried what you are asking, but I do lots of iPod syncing so am taking educated guesses:

>> Q1:  Is it possible to sync multiple libraries to an iPod?

Probably yes, if the sync process is set to NOT delete anything already on the iPod.

>> Q2:  Is it possible to create a playlist containing music from multiple libraries?

Probably no, since a playlist can't "see" another library, which is usually physically totally separate. (A library is actually a bunch of files that MC combines when the library is loaded.)

Which raises the question, why are multiple libraries needed? Using fields/tags, especially the all-powerful Keywords field, and perhaps some custom fields, it is quite feasible to have one library that contains every possible type of music, then use views and smartlists to create virtual libraries to work with, listen to, and copy onto an iPod.

My main library is more than 80 thousand tracks of almost everything -- rock, pop, rb, jazz but also classical, showtunes, big band... every musical genre. Whatever music I have gets tossed in the library, which is called "Music". The critical ingredient is effective tagging, a one-time-per-track task that has huge payback.

The only separate libraries I have are for non-music audio (radio shows, for instance), for photos, and for video.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

jjooste

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 02:36:45 am »

Thanks, I will try it as soon as I get my iPod (hopefully later today).

I have the following libraries:

* Christian Music
* Secular Music
* Classical Music
* Sermons

Within each library, furthur divisions are made by genre.  I might, therefore, feel like listening to Christian Blues (genre "Blues X"), but not Secular Blues (genre "Blues").  Or just Christian music, any genre.  Classical music do not mix well with either Christian or Secular music.  Sermons, of course, belong in a separate library for obvious reasons. 

It's a pity that there wasn't a "library" tag (like "genre"), then I could have done away with actual libraries.  Perhaps I need to play more with playlists to see what else I can do, perhaps I can combine the 3 music libraries.

Another complication is that the system must work on MC, Rio Karma, iPod & WD TV HD media player.

jjooste

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 03:15:31 am »

I have added a "Collection" tag, and in combination with Smartlists, this might work for me.  Thanks for the advice!
Pages: [1]   Go Up