INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Update Tags from Library' Broken?  (Read 2267 times)

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
'Update Tags from Library' Broken?
« on: August 04, 2009, 11:09:33 am »

This worked before.  I'm updating my mp3 rips with flac. 

1- Using MC library function, I rename mp3 to flac.
2- I rip the new flac tracks on another machine (same file format), also using MC14
3- Using Windows file manager, I copy/move files, overwriting the old (renamed) flac files

I used to be able to then do 'update tags from library' followed by 'update library from tags'.  Not anymore.  Error to check that files aren't being used by another program or read-only on the former step.

Ideas?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 'Update Tags from Library' Broken?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 11:18:52 am »

Could you describe what you mean by 'broken' a bit more?  Error message, unexpected result, or what?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:37:33 am »

The error is:

"Media Center has encountered errors while tagging and moving files. Check that the files exist, are not read-only, and are not in use by other programs"  Then it says "Tagging error: (and the name of the file)".

The file exists, is identically named as the old file (since Windows prompted me when I moved/overwrote it) and isn't read-only.

I've done this countless times in the recent past and it worked flawlessly before.

Thanks for any help.

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 11:54:36 am »

Very strange.

I went into Windows Explorer, right clicked the file and selected 'play in media center'.  Didn't work.  If I simply copied that same file to another machine, right-clicked on THAT and tried playing it, it worked.

I then scanned one of the tags and noticed that it still had a "file type" of mp3 instead of flac (the first step is using MC's Library function to rename mp3 to flac, which it had).  I manually changed that to FLAC and the song played.  I swear this worked before without this additional step.

Just to be clear - the filename was xxxxxx.flac and it WAS a flac file. 

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 01:22:36 pm »

I used to be able to then do 'update tags from library' followed by 'update library from tags'.  Not anymore.  Error to check that files aren't being used by another program or read-only on the former step.

I have always recommended to do "Update Library (from tags)" first. I think the format info inside the library needs to be updated before the files can be tagged. (I just tested it again and it works fine when the library is updated first.)

Naturally you must take care that the newly ripped files don't contain any, more or less incorrect, tags that would replace your correct library data. You can remove the tags with your other MC instance before copying the FLAC files (Library Tools > Remove Tags).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 09:09:47 am »

I guess I'll do it that way from now on (I already make sure the newly ripped files are scrubbed clean) but I hadn't been doing this before and, somehow, the 'file type' issue/conflict wasn't preventing it from working.

But - I must correct myself - when I say "before" I meant under v13, not 14.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 12:53:45 pm »

Filename, file type, and media type combine to route and allow playback.  If any are wrong, you'll get incorrect results.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 09:59:30 am »

I then scanned one of the tags and noticed that it still had a "file type" of mp3 instead of flac (the first step is using MC's Library function to rename mp3 to flac, which it had).  I manually changed that to FLAC and the song played.  I swear this worked before without this additional step.

I always change the type, then the extension, then copy the flac files over in windows explorer.  I thought you had to.  I'm going to try skipping that step now (I'm still on v13, no plans to upgrade).

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 12:08:37 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up