INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change the icon  (Read 1693 times)

cell.shift10

• Recent member
Change the icon
« on: August 06, 2009, 03:46:10 pm »

I have been seeing the same icon for Media Center from edition to edition. I wouldn't mind a change. Just a suggestion. Thanks.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Change the icon
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:04:35 pm »

Brand recognition  ;)
If they change the icon/ logo, it won't be instantly recognisable as JRiver Media Center.

Look at all the most successful brands- All they've ever done is minor alterations to their logos. (Windows flag thingy and so on)

-Leezer-

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 04:42:02 pm »

Good point.  Here's an example:

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 07:07:01 pm »

If they change the icon/ logo, it won't be instantly recognisable as JRiver Media Center.

Look at all the most successful brands- All they've ever done is minor alterations to their logos. (Windows flag thingy and so on)

Is this true?  Compare the logos of old and new from some of: BP, Exxon, Mobil, Standard Oil, McDonalds, Burger King, Jack in the Box, Pepsi, Honda, Rite Aid, Safeway, Amway, Proctor & Gamble (check out their old logo!), Disneyland, Walmart, Bank of America, and yes, even the venerable Apple have had makeovers ranging from subtle to unrecognizably dramatic.

Don't many successful companies use logo changes as a form in reinvigorating themselves to the public's eye and mind?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 07:18:44 pm »

Unfortunately, I'm British, so I don't recognise most of those  :D
Having said that though, the ones I recognise:
Pepsi- Basic shape and colors remain the same, still very much recognisable as an evolution.
Honda- Again shape is still very much recognisable. Also remember that they have their fingers in a huge number of pies, so get some variations there.
BP- Colorscheme has remained the same throughout, as have the letters BP.
Proctor & Gamble- Changed for a reason. (Implied satanic/ similar overtones)

-Leezer-

edbro

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 08:33:38 pm »

Nooo, I like the icon!

Now, the website's favicon..... that's a different story. I saw a post that explained it once but I forget. It is totally unrecognizable in the small icon format.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 09:03:17 pm »

I think we have different ideas of what is consider the "same".  Pepsi of old had no blue.  BP's log is nothing like the old in terms of shape, nor color tonality.  It was heavy green w/some yellow.  Now its mostly white, with some yellow, surrounded by green.  The font is changed.  The color of the BP is changed.

They all change for "a reason"!

I concede on Honda - was thinking of something else I believe.  I believe it was Datsun now that I think about it.  So long ago.

At some point, you can say, well, the old and new both have "logos", so they are still the same.

The point of this OPs post though is a simple refresh, not baby / bathwater toss.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up