INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scroll by typing in the tree - Suggested improvement  (Read 1350 times)

Tanguero

• World Citizen
Scroll by typing in the tree - Suggested improvement
« on: August 10, 2009, 04:40:43 pm »

I would like a change in the "Scroll by typing" function in the tree on the left side.

Present situation:
The function seems to always scroll ahead, and if the letter I type is not found at the same level (e.g. a playlist folder), it goes to the next item on a higher level that matches the letter I'm typing. And it even closes the level I came from. I don't like that. If I am in a folder with 400 small playlists, I want to stay in that folder. Suddenly being thrown to "Connected media" because I typed a C when I had a list named "Lomuto 1" in focus may have a nice touch of "Scotty, beam me up", but is rather impractical.

Suggestion:
The scroll by typing should be limited to the level I am at when I type. If there is no match ahead, start from the first item at the same level. If there is no match at all - don't go anywhere. Basicly the same behaviour as in panes and lists.

This would make the scroll by typing much more useful, at least as I see it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Scroll by typing in the tree - Suggested improvement
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:38:57 pm »

I agree that with auto-expand and auto-collapse of the tree (the defaults), it's a little weird when it jumps to a different level and collapses what you're at.  Especially since if you keep typing, it doesn't search the items it just collapsed.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 02:31:56 pm »

The change is hard to describe, but I think you'll find build 52 (and later) more natural:
Changed: Typed navigation in the tree searches first sibling-level items, than visible child-level items, then parent-level items. (so looping is more natural)

It only steps outside the current level when there are no matches inside the current level.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Tanguero

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 02:44:59 pm »

That sounds really promising and I'm looking forward to the .52 version. Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up