INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidecar files.....I'm confused  (Read 1589 times)

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Sidecar files.....I'm confused
« on: August 11, 2009, 06:42:07 pm »

I guess I'm somewhat confused about sidecar files.

I tagged several dvd rips (year, genre, comment).  Sidecar files created and all was fine....I could search and view by my tags.

Then I imported the same DVDs into a new instance of MC14 on a separate partition.  The new system doesn't recognize the tags (sidecars).  The file path is different on the 2nd system, but I thought the sidecar file would provide some portability of the tags.

When I ran "update library from tags" MC appeared to process the files....but still no tags.

The sidecar files are in the "video_ts" folder (there are two sidecar files in each).  The path is d:\DVDs\Name\Video_TS.  Please advise if you can.

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sidecar files.....I'm confused
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:34:07 pm »

What build are you using? There was a bug fixed recently (in build 44) which will probably solve your issue:

14.0.44 (07/30/2009)
3. Fixed: Update Tags (from library) saved tags in a wrong sidecar file for ifo/dvd files.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 08:47:52 am »

I'm using build 46.  You referenced "update tags from library".  Should I run that?  I was afraid to do that because I thought it would overwrite the sidecar files with blank tags because this is a new library.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 08:56:09 pm »

any fix for this or reply? 

ive tagged all my video files in jriver 13 and now have started 14, and i am wondering how to get this sidecars into my files!?  any help would be appreciated.
TY

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 08:48:23 am »

any fix for this or reply? 

ive tagged all my video files in jriver 13 and now have started 14, and i am wondering how to get this sidecars into my files!?  any help would be appreciated.
TY

Since sidecar is a new feature in MC14, not in MC13, you can not export data to sidecar in MC13.  To get metadata from your MC13 library into MC14 library, you should just import MC13 library into MC14.

Within MC14, the sidecar can be used in the following way:

Tag movies in MC14 on one computer.  Choose Library Tools > Update Tags (from library).  This will save a sidecar file in the folder of the movie.  For DVD in VIDEO_TS folder, the sidecar file is simply named VIDEO_TS_ifo_JRSidecar.xml, inside the VIDEO_TS folder.

On a different computer, you can import the movies into MC14.  The tags will be imported.  I just tried it with a few DVDs (using a shared drive, but I would expect it to work also if you make a hard copy of your movies together with the sidecar files).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 09:03:17 am »

In addition to importing the complete MC13 library to MC14 it is possible to import file data by using MPL playlists.

They are especially useful for gathering file data from several libraries into one library.

You can create an MPL playlist of your video files simply by having the video files that you want to include in a single view and then using the File > Export Playlist... command. Any library view will work. It doesn't need to be an actual playlist.

In MC14 you can use the File > Import Playlist command for importing and updating file data from an MPL playlist.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 09:25:48 am »

Yaobing,
I added your post to the wiki.

Jim

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 11:00:49 pm »

Worked :) got all sidecars for all vid files setup now.. TY Guys!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up