INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video problem: Tagging, Sidecar files, Theatre view  (Read 2363 times)

pwantzel

• World Citizen
Video problem: Tagging, Sidecar files, Theatre view
« on: August 15, 2009, 03:16:43 pm »

I run MC on two computers.  I do most of the tagging on my office PC, then save tags to file and import them on the living room PC.  I recently ran into two problems.

MC 14.0.50, WinXP Pro on both computers.

1. I edited the names of many video items to clean them up.  I saved tags to file.  The revised name appeared in the sidecar file as "Name".  I updated library from tags on the other PC.  Most of the items for which I had changed names did indeed change.  But several of them did not.  I tried Update library from tags again on those that didn't, but it didn't help. 

2. I import most of my data from PVD.  Because of the format issue with Genre (list instead of string) I had to make a new field called .Genre and then import them to .Genre instead of Genre.  So far so good.  The information appears in .Genre, and .Genre appears in the list of tags that I can edit.  I added .Genre to the fields that would display in the info box of Theatre View.  I tried it and it displayed.  Then I exported/imported to the other computer.  Made the same field changes relative to .Genre.  It would not display in the Theatre view info box.  Went back to the first computer, and now .Genre doesn't appear in Theatre view there, either.

What's going on with these issues?

Thanx for any help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Video problem: Tagging, Sidecar files, Theatre view
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 04:20:44 pm »

The sidecar format changed.  I believe you need to update tags from Library.

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 05:22:28 pm »

Yes.  I did that.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 07:37:49 pm »

Why don't you just use PvdImport on both machines? I haven't followed the sidecar feature development—does it even support custom fields?

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 07:50:32 pm »

I haven't followed the sidecar feature development—does it even support custom fields?

The .Genre information exports/imports fine in the sidecar file.  It ends up in the database on the second PC.  Just can't get it to appear in the Theatre View info panel.  On either computer (even though it did at first on the exporting computer).

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 08:18:57 pm »

Strange... Does .Genre still appear in the Info Panel configuration? Does it make a difference to deselect Hide when value is empty? Does .Genre data display correctly in Standard View?

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 08:47:06 pm »

Does .Genre still appear in the Info Panel configuration?
Yes

Does it make a difference to deselect Hide when value is empty?
No.  And it also doesn't make any difference for other fields that are actually empty.  That is, empty fields do not appear in the info panel no matter if this is checked or not.

Does .Genre data display correctly in Standard View?
Yes

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 09:26:00 pm »

No.  And it also doesn't make any difference for other fields that are actually empty.  That is, empty fields do not appear in the info panel no matter if this is checked or not.

It shouldn't be doing that. I wonder if there is a problem with your library. Maybe something went awry with the import as a result of the sidecar format changing.

pwantzel

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 09:44:01 am »

I played with the .Genre problem (issue #2 in my original post) some more this morning.  Now the living room computer does display .Genre in the Theatre view info box - not sure what's different from yesterday.  On the office PC it does not.  Since I don't use Theatre view on the office PC (except to see if it works) I can live with this.  Still bothers me, though.  On both computers the check-box "Hide when value is empty" makes no difference.  Empty fields do not display whether this is checked or not.

Nobody has commented on issue #1 - "Name" not updating from sidecar file import only on some files (others work fine).  Any ideas?

Bonex

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 11:14:12 am »

I run MC on two computers.  I do most of the tagging on my office PC, then save tags to file and import them on the living room PC.  I recently ran into two problems.

MC 14.0.50, WinXP Pro on both computers.

1. I edited the names of many video items to clean them up.  I saved tags to file.  The revised name appeared in the sidecar file as "Name".  I updated library from tags on the other PC.  Most of the items for which I had changed names did indeed change.  But several of them did not.  I tried Update library from tags again on those that didn't, but it didn't help. 

I have just discovered that I have the very same problem as you.
I'm using WinXP Home + MC 14.0.50 on two computers. One is my work PC, and the other is the HTPC. I import and tag with the work PC, then move all to the HTPC using the "Rename etc..." window. Yesterday I struggled a lot with MC because for some unknown reason it was importing MP4 and MKV video files as Audio and as so, no matter what I tried to do, it didn't update nor create their sidecar files.
Today it started again to work correctly. I believe it restarted to work after installing ffdshow without telling me anything for the nth time. But the firewall software catched the new process so I noticed it.
From the work PC I cleaned the tags of a few videos stored on the HTPC, then updated their tags from library. I checked a few xml's and it seems all went ok. The MC running on the HTPC however didn't update automatically the library, so I selected all of them and forced MC to update the library from the tags. Some videos had their title changed to the new one, and some other refuse to change.

I did a few experiments with some MKV's and it seems to me that MC imports the tags from the sidecar only when the same tag is not already embedded into the video file.

EDIT:
I don't know if this should be reported as a bug or not. Maybe we need a new command "Update Library (from sidecar)"?
Pages: [1]   Go Up