INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mp4 is added as audion & is there a manual to download ?  (Read 2834 times)

buffalome90210

• Recent member
mp4 is added as audion & is there a manual to download ?
« on: August 16, 2009, 06:24:48 pm »

I am brand new to j rivers, formerly used mediportal, then meedios, J rivers is Fantasically simpler. BUT....I have Mp4 video files, No matter what I do, J river on import asumes they are audio and places them in the audio DB.

I even tried changing the extention to .avi, but jrivers still took it as audio. I can get around this in theater view because i use a special genre to depict various video categories, BIT when I go to regular view, well, the mp4 shows in audio and not in video and it truly is VIDEO? I assume j rivers is looking farrther then the extension and looks at the header ? then see's its mp4, and then decides its audio ?

I have changed the filetype settings to allow mp4 as a video, but there does not appear a way to prevent it as a audio.

?
also, I see the documnetation on wiki, is there anyway to get a copy of the wiki manual so i can printit with out having to continually use wikki on the web ?

TY Terence

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: mp4 is added as audion & is there a manual to download ?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 06:37:26 pm »

Welcome to Interact.  We'd like to have more former users of Media Portable and Meedios.

MP4 files should be playable.  You probably don't have DirectShow filters.  Please take a look at our Wiki (link above).  Read about DirectShow and especially CCCP.

buffalome90210

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 07:11:11 pm »

Ty for your responce, But the issue is not "playability". I can play the MP4 files without a problem, the problem is that the MP4 files get added to the Audio DB and not the Video DB...

In an attempt to FOOL jrivers I changes the extention/container to .avi to see what happens. I then deleted the entry from the Audio DB and re-imported the "NOW .avi used to be mp4", but again it shows up in the audio DB...I cant seem to force it to the video DB...

But it does play fine.

Terence

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 07:48:06 pm »

Ty for your responce, But the issue is not "playability". I can play the MP4 files without a problem, the problem is that the MP4 files get added to the Audio DB and not the Video DB...
That only happens when MC can't find a way to read the files.  DirectShow is the answer.  CCCP.

buffalome90210

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 10:35:14 pm »

OK, I read the info on CCCP, and I can understand that J rivers may NOT think it can read/and/or/play a video MP4.

I do play mp4 because I use zoomplayer and kmplayer  with their internal filters, hence No need for CCCP. That is why I can play mp4 video. I assume the problem is that J riversa is not seeing a "stand alone filter", and so it thinks that mp4 video playing is not possible.

IIf this is true, I understand the philosophy and approach. BUT, I really dont want to introduce any new filters into my machine. It has taken me a long time to twwek my filters to optimize perfromance. Thats why I dont use the J river media player.

So the question now is. Is ther a way to make j rivers think I have appropriate filters to play mp4 video without actaully having standalone filters ?

I guess I could install cccp and hope that it does not conflict and/or mess up my existing filters, but experience has showed me that is seldom the case.

The only other solution i can see is to convert all my mp4's to avi's ?

Terence

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 07:06:47 am »

Change the [Media Type] field for your existing mp4 files from "Audio" to "Video" (in the tag action window, choose "Show all tags" and you should see Media Type listed in there)

If you have other filters that your system uses, go to Tools > Options > Filetypes and select MP4 video... you can then change the playback method below to select your filter. J River's engine or "Automatic" should work if you have standard directshow filters installed (eg with CCCP). You could also decide to use quicktime's engine if you happened to have that installed.

In all honesty, I used to install my own separate codecs and filters as well. I actually spent a lot of time looking at it all and reading up on things and decided to go with CCCP - it's designed to install the bare minimum to play back all major codecs & video formats (the exceptions being quicktime and real media - but you can get quicktime alternative and real alternative for these). There is no bloat and if you want to you can run a tool to check for conflicts.

buffalome90210

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 07:36:30 am »

TY, Changing the Media Type worked very well.

Re: CCCP, I will consider your suggestion. I am a bit hesitant because I always ran into all kinds of weird stuff, especially using SPDIF. BUT , I still mighht do a flash copy of my XP system and try your/the CCCP approach and check it out. I am also thinking about Windows 7, so that brings another level of questions.

Any one try Windows 7 and J rivers 14 compatability ?

Agaian TY
Terence

OH, one more thing, If I CLEAR my media Library and re- import , will the DB remeber that , that particular file/video/Mp4 is of Media Type Video ? Or will it revert back ?

If it does remeber , How the heck do it Know that ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 09:39:44 am »

Any one try Windows 7 and J rivers 14 compatability?

I can help on this one.  Media Center runs great on Windows 7.

We're developing and testing on it.  I've used it at home on my main machine for months.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 09:48:46 am »

Clearing the library will have no effect on the problem.  Installing CCCP will.  It solves almost all problems like this.

Turn off Task Tray icons for Haali and FFDShow when you do.

buffalome90210

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:29:12 am »

Thanx for info regarding windows 7

Regarding the library clear stufff

Ive got the issue corrected by changing the media type tag from audio to video for mp4's as you suggested. that did the trick....the follow up question is:

If I should clear the library, then re-import....Will the Mp4's revert back to audio ?

Terence

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 11:15:36 am »

If I should clear the library, then re-import....Will the Mp4's revert back to audio ?

Without needed DirectShow filters, it is likely that the files will be imported as audio again.  CCCP has worked very well for many of our users, especially for mp4.  You need filters that can handle mp4, including a splitter/parser filter, and audio/video decoder filters for decoding the actual contents.  If you already have some alternative filters on your computer that you know will handle mp4 files, you can try, as some other posts here already suggested, setting up MC to specifically use those filters.  However, it is more likely that you do not have all needed filters.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

buffalome90210

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 06:28:06 am »

Earlier in the week I asked questions regarding how Media Center handles MP4, specifically NOT the playing , but where a MP4 ends up (ie audion vs Video), if interested see other poste from me regarding MP4.

It appeared that several replies indicated that missing filters led Media Center to the conclusion that MP4's could only be interpreted as Audion.

In my situation, I do not use Media Cneter to play Video, but instead use ZOOMplayer as an external. Many of the replies suggested that I install CCCP for codec and filters. I was hesitant and reluctant, this was due to a past history of there never seeming to be a ALL IN ONE option which worked in ALL or at least 98% of the time. BUT, I gave it a try. I uninstalled my filters and instaled CCCP. I must conclude I ws not happy with the result. I did not do any exhaustive study into the issues that turned up, I simply reverted back to my old techniques. IN general what I found was a very sluggish Video playback of VOB type files (visually noticable) via Media Ceneter Player. I also lost my center audio channel and sub woofer channel while playing video AVI.

Now I dui run a rather slow machine 2 gig mem, windows xp pro, and SPDF.

Just a FYI.

Yours Terence

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 06:56:41 am »

Your surround sound problem can probably be solved by reading the wiki article on surround sound.

Uninstalling filters isn't normally needed and could cause other problems.  I would only do it as a last resort.

The slow video was probably solveable problem by changing video renderer or DirectShow filter, but looks like you've gone another direction.

Pages: [1]   Go Up