INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why is mc13 adding a (1) to my file name when using find and replace  (Read 1429 times)

jmilum

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile

hello,

i am trying to use find and replace to change the file name from E: to F:.  This works for quite a few files.

But for many many files, MC is adding a (1) to the end of the filename.  Why is it doing this?  It then of course can't find the files, as they have not themselves been renamed. 

For example

I have a file in the library listed as E:\pictures\CIMG002.jpg

I find and replace on file name E:\ ->  F:\

It then changes the filename to F:\pictures\CIMG002 (1).jpg

instead of my desired result of F:\pictures\CIMG002.jpg!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: why is mc13 adding a (1) to my file name when using find and replace
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 02:30:08 pm »

It means there's already a file in the database with the destination name.  It renames the file automatically instead of overwriting the file that's already there.

You might make a smartlist "~d=a" if you don't think those files are already in the library to check if they're in the list of deleted database records.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 06:18:57 pm »

Or the source files are read-only.

Just ran into this last night after trying to rename and move some r/o jpgs. Makes a real mess of things because the library thinks they have moved (with (1) appended to the new filename) however the physical files remain in their original location with their original filename.

If you spot the problem right away you can unwind it with ctrl-z (undo). Then set the files to r/w and try again.

jmilum

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 01:49:45 pm »

I'm not a super expert on MC and its database.  So I am confused as there IS a file in F: with the same name, and what I am trying to do is to rename the library record from E: to F: so that the library will be updated to the current (and proper) location.  In other words the file is in F: but listed in the library as E:.

So am I doing this wrong?  How do I update the library so that it can find the files?  Is there another method?  Or do I have to somehow remove the "database record"?
Pages: [1]   Go Up