INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will MC14 Fix this issue?  (Read 2542 times)

beamer 520i

Will MC14 Fix this issue?
« on: August 22, 2009, 04:16:15 pm »

Has anyone else had a problem keeping their PC awake running under the new Win 7 OS?

I tried MC13 and had the same issue!

I run my PC with a sleep timer of 20 minutes to avoid leaving it on when not in use but presently I need to cancel my sleep timer if I wish to listen to music for more than 20 minutes, otherwise it simply closes down in the middle of a track!

I never had this issue with XP and am wondering if it's specific to my setup?  Is there a way to make MC 12 keep the PC awake when playing music under the Win 7 OS?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Will MC14 Fix this issue?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 09:44:37 am »

If you switch to 'Display View', Media Center will prevent system sleep and the screensaver.

In 'Standard View', we don't prevent system sleep regardless of the playback state.

Surprisingly, nobody has ever reported this, but perhaps it should be an option?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:59:49 pm »

I was thinking about similar question.

I use soundspectrum vis as screensaver on my kitchen pc, and it prevents player. Would be glad to this option

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 07:42:53 pm »

If you switch to 'Display View', Media Center will prevent system sleep and the screensaver.

In 'Standard View', we don't prevent system sleep regardless of the playback state.

Surprisingly, nobody has ever reported this, but perhaps it should be an option?

I use standard mode 100% of the time (for audio).  My current soundcards do not handle sleep and hibernate states gracefully. At present, I turn off sleep and hibernate on my dedicated PC   so it has not yet bothered me.  However, I expect to start using sleep states soon when MC is not playing music.  I will want MC to prevent my PC from entering a sleep state if music is playing or if MC is serving up music to a client.  If MC is idle, it should allow the PC to enter a sleep state to be awakened by keyboard or mouse input or by a request from a library client PC.

Thanks for commenting on this issue, Matt.

Bill

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 01:05:32 pm »

In Media Center 14.0.58 and later (available in about a week):
Changed: When playing, Media Center will prevent S3 system sleep.

This same mechanism is already in use for television recording so it wasn't too difficult to extend to other playback types.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 01:15:58 pm »

Thanks, Matt.

Bill

nuke2000

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 01:12:16 am »

I have always had the opposite problem with W7 - It's an insomniac! In fact even from a soft off state it merrily tuns itself back on for no apparent reason - nothing to do with MC14  though

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 03:49:38 am »

I have always had the opposite problem with W7 - It's an insomniac! In fact even from a soft off state it merrily tuns itself back on for no apparent reason - nothing to do with MC14  though

I've had the same problem with Vista. In my case I think it's because some bad power output. Spikes if you like.... Because it's only turning it self on when I'm charging my Laptop.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

smalt111

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 03:24:44 pm »

What about preventing monitors turning off during playback?  I am using an hdmi cable to pass audio to my home theater and if the monitors / tv turns off I lose sound.  could the new version prevent this as an option?  Its kind of annoying to change my power settings every time I want to play music.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 08:16:06 pm »

What about preventing monitors turning off during playback?  I am using an hdmi cable to pass audio to my home theater and if the monitors / tv turns off I lose sound.  could the new version prevent this as an option?  Its kind of annoying to change my power settings every time I want to play music.

One solution (that would work now) is to pick a visualization and leave the computer in Display View.

beamer 520i

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 12:32:28 pm »

Matt: Thanks for the resolution.  At least I now have a reason to cough up for an upgrade of my MC12 ;)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 12:59:06 pm »

Er, does this mean that I will not be able to put my system into S3 standby from the remote (when a track or video is playing), or are you just blocking the system itself going into S3 standby? 

beamer 520i

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 05:25:56 am »

Matt:  As an interim solution I have tried your solution of using display view, unfortunately it fails to keep Win 7 from going into S3 sleep state.  Specifically I am running MC 12 release 497 and have enabled display view showing 'stereo' from the visualisation menu.  Do you have any other suggestions on how to solve the issue before the next release?

Its also interesting that as a long time user of MC12, I never had this issue running under XP!  Seems like Win 7 is much more aggressive when it comes to saving power ;D

MrHaugen

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 05:53:55 am »

My first thoughts is:

Solution 1. Turn off the sleep/hibernate functions. Problem should be solved.
Solution 2. Upgrade to Version 14 (in a week). Problem should be solved.

This is a problem that have been or will be addressed in version 14. Coming in a build soon as Matt said. Version 12 development have been stopped a long time ago, so there is not much hope of having this fix there. There are lots of programs that needs to be upgraded to support Vista and Windows 7. I know MC is special, but not that special :)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up