INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VLC Questions  (Read 4515 times)

guardianmonkey

VLC Questions
« on: August 23, 2009, 04:10:45 pm »

Heya,

While I still have major problems with JRiver, it's still the most useful media center software for my situation.

I have a constant problem that I can't seem to find any answers for.  I despise the built-in player that JRiver offers.  It doesn't work for me the way I'd like, options I want readily available after one click aren't there, etc etc.  I only use JRiver for organization and to quickly find my numerous video files.  For viewing, I use VLC.

Only VLC.

What I want is some way that I can directly send files to VLC without having to right click > etc > etc > Send to > VLC.

Is there anyway to set this up?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: VLC Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 05:03:50 pm »

If you're using version 12 of MC, you could try MC14.

In MC14 Theater View, you can launch another program to view a video.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 05:27:43 pm »

Since MC13 it has been possible to easily configure an external player program for each file type separately if preferred.

The setting is in
Options > File Types > Settings For The File Types Selected Above > Playback Method

It works whenever the configured file type is played (in all view modes).

EDIT

It would also be nice if you could explain the problems in detail. Some of them may have been fixed in the newer MC versions and it might be possible to cure the problems by setting MC or the DirectShow filters differently. MC is a DirectShow player that uses mainly the installed external DirectShow filters for video playback. VLC doesn't use the Windows DirectShow system at all. It has built-in codecs because it is a multi-platform program. These two approaches have different advantages and disadvantages.

However, if you prefer to use an external player anyway it is just fine. The option was created exactly for that.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

edbro

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 05:53:38 pm »

I love MC but I also use VLC for videos simply because MC does not start with a video at its native resolution. You have to zoom it back to 100%.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 06:06:07 pm »

I love MC but I also use VLC for videos simply because MC does not start with a video at its native resolution. You have to zoom it back to 100%.
It should.  You could probably help us solve that if you could start a new thread with details.  File type, DirectShow filters, etc. 

edbro

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 07:09:03 pm »

It should.

Not according to Yaobing. You first have to zoom it to 100%. Not ideal if you download lots of videos from internet.
Right-click while video is playing, and choose Zoom > 100%.

The setting is on per-file basis.  The next time you play the same file it will be played in the same size.
Pages: [1]   Go Up