INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Tuner Advice  (Read 2914 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
TV Tuner Advice
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:26:35 am »

From stevenklein in a personal message:
Hey Matt. I noticed you responded about an Aver TV Tuner card that you've used and worked great. Which card would that be?

I have always been interested in turning my computer into my TV recording center, but have never found the right combination of TV Tuner/software to do it.

MC14 seems like a decent and improving interface for TV recording, now that has EPG data and what not. But, now I have to find a card that will show me all the channels I want!

Right now I have a WinTV VR-950 USB stick from Hauppauge. Works pretty well for channels 2-68, but I've got an HDTV for crying out loud! And I'm paying my cable company (Brighthouse) for the HD tier, so I'd like a card that could pick up all the HD channels in the 600s, the digital cable tier in the 100s, etc etc. and preferably a dual tuner.

Does this card even exist? I'd like to get rid of the Scientific Atlanta cable box they gave me and just run a cable from my wall to the card, and be able to watch in hi def. Is this possible?

Thank you so much for any advice,
Steve
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: stevenklein: TV Tuner Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 09:32:38 am »

I'm not much help with tuning digital cable.  There are some fancy analog solutions that do high-def hardware encoding of the output from your tuner box.  There are also QAM tuners.  Maybe somebody else can contribute more on this.  I just do ATSC tuning, and still end up with way more recorded TV than I have time to watch.

I can say I've had good luck with a wide range of TV tuners.  I've had an ATI, Aver, and Hauppauge and all of them have been appliance quality.

Currently I'm using a Hauppauge 2250 because it's nice to have two ATSC tuners with only a single slot and cable coming into the computer.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 11:12:22 am »

Sorry, QAM or ATSC Cable is still not supported in MC.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:32:16 pm »

darn.

are there any tuners on the market now that can pull it off? because i'm sure as time passes it will become supported in MC. it may not be tomorrow or in MC14 at all, but it's coming eventually :)

globetrotters1

Re: TV Tuner Advice
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 03:14:01 pm »

then, Yaobing, please tell us how Matt is able to use a Hauppauge 2250 and we simple people can't? :)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: TV Tuner Advice
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 04:22:41 pm »

Matt uses the device for ATSC (over-the-air) tuning, not for QAM.  If you can not use the device for ATSC, there must be some setup problem on your computer.  Post or email your logs so we can help you identify the problem.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up