INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Emusic Top Five Albums...  (Read 1796 times)

elpaolo

• World Citizen
Emusic Top Five Albums...
« on: July 09, 2002, 12:44:33 pm »

I think I've scoured the catalog over at Emusic and found everything worth my ears' attention, though I'm sure my search has not been exaustive.  Here are my Top Five Albums.  Share yours below as well, eh???  

1. Pedro the Lion - Control
2. Wheat - Hope and Adams
3. Lightnin' Hopkins - Box Set
4. Miles Davis - Cookin' with Miles Davis
5. Pedro the Lion - It's Hard to Find a Friend

elpaolo

• World Citizen
RE:Emusic Top Five Albums...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2002, 05:43:33 pm »

ok...maybe someone will bite this time around at the top of the list...anyone?...
...bueller?....bueller?...

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2002, 05:43:38 pm »

Two artists that I've discovered at eMusic and that I love are Tito Puente and Mongo Santamaria

Claudio

john

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2002, 06:23:26 pm »

star:

Pedro the Lion has been getting some decent airplay on the college rag here in Atlanta, and I liked it enough to download some songs from Control from Audiogalaxy before it went kaput.  I really like Priests and Paramedics.

I have one song from Wheat from a CMJ disk back in 1997--Death Car.  I like it--what's their new album like?

I don't know what Emusic is.  Is it free downloadable music, or do you need to cough up cash?

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2002, 07:14:07 pm »

HI John,

www.emusic.com

it by subscription, but it's one of the few (if not the only) low cost, no-nonsese service out there. It's wuite popular with people in this forum since it also integrates very smoothly with MJ Download Manager

Claudio

gvag

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2002, 10:09:47 pm »

Claudio -

Until this latest nonsense with the Universal downloads, that are not universal I would have agreed with you.

zevele1

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2002, 11:54:37 pm »

gvav
You do not have the good dictionary.If you use an american one ,you will see that universal means'part of the world north of Mexique,south of Canada with two oceans on east and west parts.
You will see that they have started to explore beyon this limits:
there is priests from some sects as mc donald,disney,microsoft sent to convert barbares .

Concerning my top albums on Emusic,hard to say.But i have discovered many bands  like Volebeats.The album i played the most, and i still play is Echoe and the Bunymen-flowers

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2002, 06:33:18 am »

Well, Emusic is still one of the best out there... but it's taking the wrong direction with their latest move.

Ohh well! I've let them know my views, and I'll see how things evolves...

Claudio

zevele1

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2002, 07:04:49 am »

Yes, Emusic is still a good deal
They apply the rules of a national corporate.They do not have any contact with the label distributing Verve in Canada,in France or other places.
They just play the rules of the iraa.
If you want another proof that they do not care about artists getting money,here you have
Outside USA,do as you want,use p2p.Here we keep our control,power,that is the only thing we care about.Artists,can you tell me what it is?Something to do with cars?[private joke]

The only logic is to make Emusic ,as ALL the other services[real-pressplay-...] an american only service.
It is the future i see.

Beside this i thing i know how they block 'outside north america'
Not according to the ip adress

fmill0

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2002, 11:12:05 am »

Check out:
1) World Standard - hill billy electronica
2) Nightmares on Wax - european down tempo beats
3) Boss Hog - Indie rock from Jon Spencer's wife
4) Brian Jonestown Massacre - rock ala Rolling Stones

My top picks from emusic.

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2002, 01:02:22 pm »

fmill00 -

Thanks for the good reply.  I'm gonna check those out after work!

The other discussion here is good and interesting, but I was really looking for the simply numbered approach with perhaps extra pertinant comments to the prescribed albums.  That said, if you still haven't written down your picks, take another shot, eh?

In response to someone above, Wheat's latest (i think) is Hope and Adams, and it's deceptively catchy.  If you like their brand of, well, alternapop, give it a shot.

Pedro's Control has been met with much acclaim as well as much criticism.  He tries to craft a tragic, corporate-sponsored tale of a futuristic family unit torn by hollow ambition, vanity and an overall exit from real intimacy.  It's a concept album not unlike his previous offering, Winners Never Quit, but pigeon-holed as such only for those who would tend to miss the ideas and overall themes of the album without a guiding hand.  Here's a good outake from "Moving Units" to whet the palette...

"If it isn't making dollars, then it isn't making sense.  If you aren't moving units, then you aren't worth the expense.  If you really want to make it, you had best remember this.  If it isn't penetration, then it isn't worth the kiss."

Harry|PLS|The|PLS|Hipster

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2002, 01:31:13 pm »

Here's my list, if that's what you wanted:

1. Karrin Allyson - Just about anything but particularly from Paris to Rio (love the samba tracks)

2. The Tony Bennett and Bill Evans Album

3. Tal Farlow - Fuerst Set (terrific guitar and piano taped at a jam)

4. Dave Frishberg - Classics (all the great files)

5. Bill Evans - Intuition (mostly because of Invitation).

That doesn't begin to scratch the surface for me.

HTH

lee269

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2002, 06:07:17 am »

Ive only been subscribed to emusic for a couple of weeks - this is what I like most from what my scattergun approach to downloading has found so far, in no particular order.

1. Wheat - Hope and Adams
2. Cornelius - Point
3. Cinerama - This is Cinerama
4. Tom Waits - Mule Variations
5. Francisco Aquabella - Cubacan

Ill try Pedro the Lion next.

lee269

fmill0

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2002, 11:02:24 am »

starflyer
please let me know what you think of my picks.  one of the (many) reasons i love emusic.com is that i can test drive and discover artists that simply don't get exposure anywhere else.  as an early member (anyone remember those crazy emusic promotions - speakers, mp3 players, etc.) i often ranted on mp3 boards when kidz complained about the lack of top 40 on emusic.  it does my little heart good to see so much public approval of the site on this board.

Listenign to Jeep Jazz Project from emusic - another recent find!

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2002, 11:54:31 am »

HTH...

Nice list.  And thanks...that's what I was looking for.

The Bill Evans listing is amazingly extensive, if not downright completionist.  So many other greats to choose from, too....you'd think I was advertising speaking this highly of it.  Can't complain when a guy can score an entire box set for a monthly fee as opposed to dropping ~$100 on one at a retail store.

fmill00...

Yeah, I'll let you know what I think.  For now, I've been caught up in the Counting Crows latest offering as well as a Neil Young double disc I just purchased ("Decade").  I'll post my thoughts here...

Harry|PLS|The|PLS|Hipster

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2002, 12:08:27 pm »

Starflyer:

I keep having these wild dreams about multiple 120G drives and three free weeks to download everything. My wife gets very suspicious when I mumble in my sleep about Maxtor.......

HTH

Listening to: 'Something I Dreamed Last Night' from 'Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet' by 'Miles Davis' on Media Jukebox

zevele1

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2002, 04:44:54 am »

At the time i had my subscription,they gave a trainer?Kind of shirt with a hood[?]

Anyway,i was sure not to get it because i am in Israel
But i get it.On economic postage,but i got it

It is very soft and warm,i use it in winter at home

At this time very fair people

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2002, 07:24:50 am »

HTH

Dreams can come true, my friend.  I splurged for one of those 120 GB Maxtors.  How sweet it is.  Prices will keep coming down.  Totally funny, though, what you said.
Pages: [1]   Go Up