INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Ability to tag multiple albums for each song (including tracks)  (Read 2541 times)

chriswale

• World Citizen

I have all of Michael Jacksons albums!
But I don't want duplicated versions of all of his songs!
But if I deleate the duplicates, I will have incomplete albums!

Michael Jackson - Billie Jean : Thriller [5]
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean : Number Ones [3]
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean : Thriller 25th Anniversary [1]
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean : Michael Jackson's Greatest Hits [11]
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean : Now That's What I Call The 80's [15]
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean : The Essential Michael Jackson [8]
What can I do?

Solution and feature request:

How about the ability to be able to tag a song as part of multiple albums (multiple albums / multiple track numbers).  And it should be easy!
If implimented, than there is no need for all those duplicates. However, you will need a similar/duplicate song finder!

Michael Jackson - Billie Jean : Thriller [5]; Number Ones [3]; Thriller 25th Anniversary [1]; Michael Jackson's Greatest Hits [11] Now That's What I Call The 80's [15] The Essential Michael Jackson [8]

Would it be possible to add this funtionality to JRiver Media Center?
Or is there an alternative solution?

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen

There's been much discussion of this topic around here. Do a forum search for "relational database" and you'll find a good bit of it. It doesn't seem like this sort of thing will be implemented anytime soon, if ever.

As far as other solutions, there's nothing glamorous. Personally, if I'm going to keep a full compilation album I'll just rate any duplicated songs as a 1 and have any of my shuffled playback play only 2-5 rated songs. It works good enough. There are certainly other ways to go about it, but none will get you all of what you're looking for.

chriswale

• World Citizen

Seems to me like this is a necessary feature.
After all, JRiver is a database manager, no point in having duplicates.  I'm sure the folks at JRiver can sort this one out! Crossing fingers.

Sorry, but I don't like your idea of tagging songs (1 star).  I'm not a fan of quick fixes like that.
Why don't you just create a new field to manage this [exclude]?

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...

There's been much discussion of this topic around here. Do a forum search for "relational database" and you'll find a good bit of it.

Actually, virtual (link or album) is what you want to search for.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Why would you care about a few duplicates?  The cost of storage is almost zero.

1TB drives cost $100
1GB is $0.10
1MB is $0.0001

Even a lossless track costs just $0.003
300 cost less than $1

Development time costs us $1 everytime someone tells a bad joke.

chriswale

• World Citizen

Its not the storage space that bugs me. It's the requirment of having to tag the same file more than once.

I suppose I am being a bit too much of a perfectionist.
Fortunately I'm not an album person, and I delete all duplicates. I like having a clean organized library.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen

Sorry, but I don't like your idea of tagging songs (1 star).  I'm not a fan of quick fixes like that.
Why don't you just create a new field to manage this [exclude]?
Honestly, this isn't a big enough concern for me to bother with a whole field. In general I try to avoid Best-Of CD's as I don't feel like they're a good representation of an artist's work. If I do have a best of as a source I'll often go so far as to re-tag the whole thing with all the songs from their original albums. I can always put them back together in just as cohesive a fashion as they were assembled for the best-of release. So...this leaves me mostly with soundtracks producing duplicates and I don't have a ton of those lying around either...my half-arssed solution works well enough for me.

Why would you care about a few duplicates?  The cost of storage is almost zero.
I would assume (hope maybe?) that disc space isn't the issue at this juncture in time. For me it's really about little things like having an "accurate" number of plays count for tracks, not having to pay special attention and use special tricks to avoid having duplicate songs in a playlist or other such circumstances. So, as I mentioned above, it's not a huge deal for me but for those who are very completist about certain artists I could see why this would become more of a hang-up.

To take the current discussion a step further, one of the things that comes to mind with the whole "virtual album" idea (especially within MC) is the idea of converting playlists into "virtual albums". I've always liked the idea of being able to combine my playlists in with my albums in a view scheme (adding cover art to a playlist and making it look just like a "real" album). For me this would be one of the more interesting/fun uses for a "virtual album" feature. When you get down to it, that's pretty much what a playlist is at this point, except that you can't assign attributes or metadata to the playlist as its own entity. Functionally speaking though, the playlist is beginning to replace the album (for them youngsters). It's becoming increasingly common for artists to only release singles and then let their fans combine the songs as they see fit into whatever list of songs they like. So, to me, morphing the playlist into something that is similar, functionally, to an album makes sense in the scope of modern audible media.

So, if a static playlist were to change over to a "virtual album" (which conceptually isn't a huge leap) it could certainly also cover the duplicate songs on multiple albums dilemma. There could be one "main album" or just "album" (oh my!) with additional virtual albums for things like best-of's, soundtracks or playlists. This is what I was daydreaming about on my way home today anyway... I live an important life  ::).

-JB
Pages: [1]   Go Up